FG Single to Dual Cab

JaseBee

Hi there,

I've recently bought an old Mitsubishi Canter (1995 FG637) single cab with the intention of turning into a camper/expedition vehicle. However prior to journeying down this road I've realised a single cab isn't really going to suit my needs. So I'm after a bit of information regarding possible conversions to a dual/crew cab.

I know their would be issues with mod plates, mount points, linkages and the like. I'm just wondering how big are the issues?
Do the dual cabs still use the same linkages for steering/gear shift even though the cab doesn't tilt?
Does the dual cab use similar mounting points to the single only fixed instead of hinged & camlock? Or does it require new extra ones further back along the chassis?

My reason for thinking along this path is that the Canter I have is SWB, all the dual cabs (as far as I know) are MWB, the shorter smaller truck is much more appealing to me, and hopefully will be an advantage to keeping the weight under 4.5t.

I am aware it will be a lot of work regardless of the answers to these sorts of questions, and that I'm probably coming at this the wrong way. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience around this topic for this era of truck, so I can make a bit more of an informed decision before going down this path, or selling and finding the right dual cab as a base.

I'm based on the sunshine coast in QLD, if anyone knows someone local I could chat with.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Welcome to our great site.
Maybe the easiest answer would be to buy a Dual cab and shorten the chassis to the length of the short wheel base. This would be a lot less work and may even cost less.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Aussie Iron's suggestion is definitely a valid one, but doing as you have suggested is also possible.
Before committing to anything, I would be talking to the relevant RTA authorities to see what they have to say.
As much as the dual cab does not normally tilt, it can. Unlike the single cab, the rear mounts are fixed, but as far as I know the front mounts are the same. Most of the linkages should be the same, if both cabs are off an FG.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Welcome,
I would go with what Dan said,depends on what you want to do with the truck.Cutting the chassis down to a SWB wont give you much tray room a point to think about.

JaseBee

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys (and the warm welcome), I'm mostly thinking this way to use what I already have. I hadn't really considered chopping down a longer dual cab as you had suggested Dan, I thought if I happened to get one I'd end up making do with the longer wheelbase. But I do agree, it would be a much better approach.

Thanks SkiFreak, that was the exact information I was looking for. I've been planning what to do on the back of my truck for a while now and will be consulting automotive engineers and the like soon. But after a recent trip out to Alice where more passengers could have joined in, and possible future family, it's clear a dual cab is a necessity. So I'm weighing up the options before starting down a path.

And yes I'm aware the room on the tray would be significantly reduced, definitely worth considering thanks PKDreamers. The design I've been toying with has a few expanding sections to make use of the room around the truck for living and only really having the bed on the back of the truck, or the option to fold it up into a siting area (which I haven't quite figured out yet). So I'm fairly confident I could make a 2x2m area do all I'm looking for... mostly fairly confident.

Early days yet, lots more designing and information gathering to do, but this forum, and your website SkiFreak, have been invaluable for the process. I look forward to documenting my build when it comes round.

Thanks again guys!
Jase.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You want to do what????

Dans suggestion is wise. Huge amount of to and money any other way.

Also very easy to convert MWB to SWB if you really want to shorten it. Shorten the front end of the rear chassis rails by 600mm and remove the short front tail shaft. It'd be a fun little family truck but not much room for a camper on the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne