Feedback on Trailer Propane Tank Sizing

Skeptic

Adventurer
I'm looking at my options for fitting a propane tank to my trailer for cooking purposes. A full-size propane tank has obvious advantages of holding more fuel and are is easily swap-able if needed as opposed to trying to find fills while on the move. The disadvantage is that it's larger and therefore takes up more space mounted on the side or front of the trailer.

If anyone can give me some feedback on their experiences with using smaller tanks (I understand that 5 and 10 lb tanks are available) it would be helpful in understanding their usefulness to me.

Specifically, have you run into any issues getting them filled, and are the smaller tanks sufficient for general cooking duties for a long weekend? Would a 10 lb tank get me through several weekends?

For longer trips, I am not opposed to bringing along a full size tank, but would prefer not to for weekend excursions.

Thanks,

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
I have a 10lb tank on my trailer. Use it for cooking one or two meals a day as well as running a lantern in the evening. Has probably lasted me more than 10 trips of 2-3 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My little 5-pounder only gets filled up twice a year, Kos.
You probably need to cook things longer than I do since you're a carnivore. So mount two. Use one up, swap tot the second, fill the first at your leisure.

Unless you're going to run a heater off them or something...
I had two 10-pounders on the Conqueror. One for cooking and one for the heater.

No problem filling them ever. Ace Hardware, campgrounds, propane centers.
Sometimes they don't even charge us at the big propane dealerships. They get all curious about the trailer, look it over, and then just wave us away.

Skeptic

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback guys. It makes it easier to fit the tank where I need it rather than trying to figure out a practical place for a full size unit. I just wasn't certain how long I could expect one to last.

I'm seeing 10 lb'ers on Amazon for reasonable costs, but now need to source a bracket for a side-mount on the right ear of the trailer. AT brackets are a bit pricey, but may be my best mounting option.

I have a 5 pound propane tank for my trailer and I mount it in a large fire extinguisher mounting bracket. It works fine for me. Also, the fire extinguisher bracket was fairly reasonably price, if I recall.

Tazman

Adventurer
This is what is use. http://vikingcylinders.com

I have a small aluminum cylinder on my boat but, although it uses little, I never know for sure how much is left in the tank. With the Viking, I can see the fuel level. This would allow me to adjust my behavior as needed. Also, the tanks is a lot lighter than the standard steel propane tank.

Skeptic

Adventurer
I like the concept; translucent and lightweight. I think the limiting factor is that the 10 lb tank is the same diameter as the larger tanks, and the appeal of the steel 10 lb tanks are the smaller diameter so they don't take up such a large footprint.

Im thinking these would be ideal when I have to replace the two 30 pounders on my travel trailer.

Thanks for for the link.

jays0n

Adventurer
For us a 5lb cylinder has worked out very well, we use it to cook only and after a few 2-3 trips it was still over half full. I have no issues getting it filled. I got the tank and the mount from Adventure Trailers and it wasn't cheap but the matching set mounted easily and fits perfectly on my trailer.
7ke2.jpg

Skeptic

Adventurer
I do like the AT mounts for the 5 and 10 lb tanks. I think I need to do some more measurements and decide between the two sizes. 5" difference in height, and less than an inch in diameter between them, so I think both are workable. I see the 10 lb is out of stock, but there were plenty of 10 lb'ers on Amazon...

Basil.

I'm just going to use a 20lb tank, it's cheaper, easy to exchange, and I don't mind the extra bulk as I'll be using it to power a Mr, buddy heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like the idea of a 5lb tank. And I'm always looking to accessorize my trailer (sounds weird). But I don't get out near as much as I'd like to where I'm using propane, so I was doing the math.
A 5lb tank costs about $50 +/-.
http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...1764583&sr=8-1&keywords=5+lb+propane+tank#Ask
A bracket is between $37 and $100.
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/off-road-air-systems/heavy-duty-tank-mounting-brackets/ (I'm already using three of these brackets for CO2 tanks with my Jeeps and truck).
http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/5-lb.-Propane-Cylinder-Bracket..html
Oh; and add the adapter hose to run to my stove/oven combo (about $23.00).
http://www.coleman.com/product/5-ft...2000014877?contextCategory=27400#.Vogq3qRIjcc
So at $2.50 each (+/-) for the one-pound cylinders, I'd have to be gone a long time, or space would really have to be at a premium for me to be able to justify going this route. Unless I just liked the look of a five pound propane bottle strapped to the side of my trailer (which I do - gives it a serious expedition look), then I don't have to justify the cost.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
I kept my eye open for a horizontal propane tank. It took several years but patience paid off; I found this 11 lb. ASME tank under a layer of dust at a trailer supply that had been in business in the same location since the early 1960s. I use it for a two burner stove and propane lantern and generally have it topped off every 10-12 camping days. It has never been close to empty.

HPIM0134.JPG

Skeptic

Adventurer
I'm leaning toward the 5 lb tank route; sounds like it will give me the cooking durations needed for weekends and the prices for tanks aren't too unreasonable. The AT bracket option remains somewhat high, but WheelersOffRoad would be a good fit for my black trailer at a more reasonable cost.

I already have the hose, and I can always either eventually obtain a second tank or even a full size tank to pack into the trailer along with the other gear for longer trips or for other purposes. I'm generally opposed to using the small disposable tanks - seems crazy to waste so much steel that needs to be packed in and out and will eventually be discarded - but one or two to have on hand as backups may be handy.

i briefly considered a horizontal tank, but I just don't have the mounting location for one.

Thanks all -

1Louder

Explorer
I have 2 11lb tanks from Home Depot. It is a silly amount of capacity and only run low if I run my Camp Fire in a Can or heater a ton. The one dedicated to my trailer stove and hot water heater could last for weeks. CFIAC will kill a 20 lb tank after around 20 hours of use. Your mileage may vary..... 11lb tanks are around $55 and a mount is around the same price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne