Features and annoyances of your 2017+ RAM 1500 or 2500

bikelanta

Adventurer
I’m curious to hear from current or former owners of 2017+ RAM 1500 and 2500 regarding any features or annoyances of your truck that stick out. Things that you might not notice when looking at spec sheets or brochures, but come to mind after living with your truck for awhile. For example, while it’s annoying that I can’t adjust some features of the infotainment system on my GTI, it’s especially annoying that I can’t turn the display off while in motion. On the flip side, one thing we love on my wife’s Highlander is the tailgate glass that lifts independently, so you can pack more into that area.

What things come to mind about your truck? Both in general, but also related to outdoor outings?

Thanks for your thoughts.

plumber mike

Adventurer
My 2017 2500 had a broken power window and wheel sensor issues by 40k. It would have been nice if they failed at 30k. My 2011 Ram was nice enough to wear its driver side seat through at 28k.
The Cummins was a great engine, but I now understand the joke about the shipping container they come in.

bahn112

On my 2019 Powerwagon, I hate that I can't set my power folding mirrors to auto fold when the door locks and unfold when it unlocks. Liked this feature on my previous benz and you wouldn't think it'd be an issue on such an expensive truck. I know you can get a Ramtazer and have that function but silly that it's not available from the factory.
Also, I miss my electronic brake hold function on my old Benz.

ttengineer

Adventurer
On my 2019 Powerwagon, I hate that I can't set my power folding mirrors to auto fold when the door locks and unfold when it unlocks. Liked this feature on my previous benz and you wouldn't think it'd be an issue on such an expensive truck. I know you can get a Ramtazer and have that function but silly that it's not available from the factory.
Also, I miss my electronic brake hold function on my old Benz.

Are you talking about the hill assist? As in when you’re on a hill you can let go of the break and the truck won’t roll back?

If so I absolutely hate that feature. It’s jarring when it releases after a second on the throttle.

But I agree on the mirrors. I love that feature on my wife’s Audi, and wish the Ram did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonathon

I have a 2019 Ram 2500. Bighorn trim, 6.4 Hemi, limited slip rear, and 4.10 gears. I specifically went with the Bighorn with level 1 equipment group because I wanted the basic Uconnect 4 with the 8” screen and single zone climate control. I also got lucky and got the upfitter switches and VSIM. I was really surprised my dealer found a truck that had everything I wanted.

At 4,000 miles I have no complaints. The 6.4 Hemi has a lot of power and is fun to drive. The 8 speed auto is fantastic. Drives easy like an automatic should but it’s always in the right gear and holds gears when you need it to. Uconnect 4 is good and simple. I had some experience with it before buying my truck and knew that was what I wanted. I use CarPlay with it and it’s seamless. Uconnect is probably the best infotainment system available right now. Interior quality is good and definitely a step up from the 2010-2018 trucks.

I went gas with the 2500 for simplicity and cost per mile overall is lower.

Last edited:

bahn112

Are you talking about the hill assist? As in when you’re on a hill you can let go of the break and the truck won’t roll back?

If so I absolutely hate that feature. It’s jarring when it releases after a second on the throttle.

But I agree on the mirrors. I love that feature on my wife’s Audi, and wish the Ram did it.

No, it's the feature when you come to a stop you can press the brake and then take your foot off the brake; the brake will hold with your foot off the pedal. For example at a stoplight you just press the brake pedal a little harder and then you can take your foot off the brake pedal. Once the light turns green you just press the accelerator and the brake will release and off you go. It seems like a stupid feature but it's one of those things that once you have it, it sucks when you no longer do.

ttengineer

Adventurer
No, it's the feature when you come to a stop you can press the brake and then take your foot off the brake; the brake will hold with your foot off the pedal. For example at a stoplight you just press the brake pedal a little harder and then you can take your foot off the brake pedal. Once the light turns green you just press the accelerator and the brake will release and off you go. It seems like a stupid feature but it's one of those things that once you have it, it sucks when you no longer do.

Yea that’s what I’m talking about. Typically it’s called hill assist. I hate it.

gillbrak

Only complaint, and likely user error is I can’t figure out how to disable the seatbelt chime on my 19 PW. Watched the videos on YouTube and still can’t get it.

Omar RVA

Agree with @bahn112 on the power folding mirrors on my 2020 Power Wagon. I wish they would automatically fold/open with lock/unlock. The passenger side view (this is for tow mirrors, which I generally recommend) is magnified and it’s pretty annoying. I find myself using the smaller convex mirror next to it to get a more accurate view of what’s going on. Some other small annoyances are (these are ticky tack at best):
  • MDS can kick in at obnoxious times
  • Lack of interior 12v plugs (though I have plenty of household 3 prongs and an absurd number of USB outlets)
  • Wish there was a bed outlet
That said, I absolutely love the truck. Ultimately the things I mentioned are minor at worst. Super capable. You can crush a ton of miles with little fatigue. Uconnect 12 has been awesome for me and the forward facing cam and surround view are awesome on tighter, rolling trails. The PW is my dream truck.

OA

btsbarton

Have a 2019 Power Wagon, a little over 5k miles on it so far.

-Unconnect with 8” screen is pretty easy to use, looks nice, and has lots of features. Glad I didn’t get the 12” screen because I like having knobs for HVAC controls.

-The 8 speed ZF transmission is awesome. I’ve heard complaints about the 6 speed auto in 2500s up thru 2018 having issues, and just not being smooth. But the ZF 8HP Is reknowned as one of the best automatic’s on the market and I agree it’s great.

-Gas mileage sucks in the 6.4 Hemi, but it’s smooth and has plenty of power.

-I miss the corner steps on the rear bumper that my Chevy had.

-I find the drivers door spring is too springy. If it opens all the way or sometimes springs back and closes.

-I wish the Power Wagon had the option for the auxiliary switches. It’s weird it’s one option you would think they would know Power Wagon owners would want to use for lights, air compressor, etc that you explicitly can’t get!

-Bench seat front is cool but to be honest nobody is going to sit in the middle there. There’s no room for knees/legs between the console and the seat. Plus with the seat back up I loose my cup holders. I feel like the center console would be more useful , but it’s not an option on the Power Wagon because it has the floor mounted transfer case shifter.

-Would be nice if it had a 4WD Auto mode for driving in variable snowy road conditions. Sometimes it is plowed and dry and then all of a sudden it’s slushy and sloppy and you want 4WD.

Last edited:

xemrac

Only complaint, and likely user error is I can’t figure out how to disable the seatbelt chime on my 19 PW. Watched the videos on YouTube and still can’t get it.

I'm with ya. I ended up purchasing something similar to this; when not in use/needed, I adhere it to a magnet mounted on the dash, under the steering wheel.

Oh, and it doubles as a bottle-opener - Game changer!

jonathon

On my particular truck I have the bench seat with the middle seat lower storage compartment and another drawer under the radio that slides out for even more storage. Not sure if this an option that’s available for the Power Wagon. I know the Tradesman trucks do not have it.

As far as automatic 4 wheel drive it’s probably a good thing it’s not an option on the Ram HD trucks. The clutch system in the Borg Warner auto 4x4 transfer cases used in the 1500 allows slippage even when the truck is shifted into 4 high or low. Full time 4wd with a true locking center differential would be an awesome feature to have, but it doesn’t exist in any domestically available pickup.

2018 PW. Has been pretty solid overall. Annoyances include several recalls of varying magnitude (including the stupid “weld your drag link” that I didn’t do) and Ram Box lock actuators that simply cannot handle off-road use. I’ve had each side replaced twice under warranty they’re both broke again - I’ve given up now and just manually lock/unlock with key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz