FCC Publishes New GRMS Rules

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have not read the final rules but if they didn't change anything from the proposed ones then there's a number of key changes.

Combo FRS/GMRS radios won't be allowed any more
FRS expands to 22 channels, 2 watts, still license-free
GMRS licenses go to 10 year periods, like ham
GMRS will still share a few channels with FRS and can now use FRS 8-14 (467 MHz), albeit at 2W
GMRS will not adopt digital modes but limited text/location data will be allowed (e.g. the Garmin exemption)
GMRS can still use wide or narrow band
GMRS can still use repeaters

I don't see the point of making FRS radios anymore, other than not needing to apply for a license. It's not overall bad but it seems like the FCC could have simplified things by just combining the two services and distinguishing them by saying if you get a license you can use 50W, removable antennas, etc. If you don't want to be bothered then just use the 2W bubble pack radios.

Last edited:

fnjeep314

Observer
Well I just signed up for my GMRS license on the 28th of August. Wonder if I will get a 10 year license, or if I will be one of the last few to get a 5 year.

DaveInDenver

Well I just signed up for my GMRS license on the 28th of August. Wonder if I will get a 10 year license, or if I will be one of the last few to get a 5 year.
The rules go into effect 9/28 so unless the FCC is exceptionally slow in processing your paperwork you'll probably get a 5 year.

DaveInDenver

This sounds like a biggie.

I just recently picked up a set of Midland FRS/GMRS radios. Does the new rule mean I'm not allowed to bring them into the US? Use them? Use them even if I'm only using them on FRS? What will happen to all the stores/retailers that have FRS/GMRS radios sitting on the shelf? What about all US folks that have such radios on hand? Talk about a logistical nightmare!
I think it means no new combo radios will be approved and existing combo radios will be recognized as FRS. It's a response I think to the 2W blister pack radios that required you to get a GMRS license that no one did. I don't think anyone will have to change any of their existing hardware (other than perhaps the interim radios marked as FRS/GMRS on a store shelf would technically not be GMRS). If I understand correctly the FCC rules will mesh better with Industry Canada rules.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles