Favorite Multi-tool

MattF350

Observer
I have a handful of different leathermans. comes in handy at my job. Fixes easy stuff without getting out the whole toolbox. Usually pliers or screwdriver is sufficient enough.

Surge is my favorite though. heavy duty and so many uses.

85_Ranger4x4

I EDC a Leatherman Charge+.

Also have an original and a Kick, I used to EDC the Kick but I wore the wire cutter out.

rnArmy

Adventurer
My "daily carry" is the Leatherman Pulse. Seems like I'm always needing a small screwdriver or something. Leatherman has "retired' the Pulse. If I were to get another multitool, it would be a Leatherman Free P2 or P4. One feature that is a requirement on any Leatherman I carry is it has to have the little scissors. Those little scissors get used a lot. It is also nice if the knife blade has serrations on it (serrations on the P2, but not on the P4).

I also have a Leatherman Crunch. I have a SOG Seal Pup fixed-blade knife and sheath with a pocket for a sharpening stone slot - the Crunch lives there.

The Army would issue us Gerber multi-tools when we deployed. I never thought they were as finely finished as the Leatherman, so I would bring my Leatherman on deployments (usually my kids would get my Gerbers).

Last edited:

Grassland

I EDC a Skeletool CX. Non serrated blade, pliers, bottle opener, screw driver. Small and light enough for EDC and hiking/backpacking.

For work I have a Rebar on the belt and a Klien 11+1 folding screw/nut driver. Handy for when you go up on the roof to check a package HVAC unit or in the crawlspace, and don't want to lug the 35# tool bag.
It actually comes in handy for a lot. I need to replace the cutting blades in the pliers though, so full from use it won't cut 18 AWG anymore.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I still got my Leatherman Supertool that I bought back around the end of 1996 It still Rocks, I still got the original Leather pouch for it and I have the slim line Nylon pouch for it with the easy On Belt clip and back about a month or 2 I bought a new Leatherman Supertool 300 and it has the replaceable Jaws for the wire cutters, It's Nice but the My Old Supertool has less moving parts like the Lockback for the Blades, The 300 has a lever to release the blades which is just another thing to go wrong. I prefer the Old one but I like the replaceable wire cutters on the new one. But the pouch on the new one is no where near as good as the old one.

EMrider

Explorer
Sure, the optimal tool is best. But the logistics of keeping a bunch of tools nearby is unrealistic, at least it is for me. I own a bunch of multi-tools are use them constantly. By far my favorite is the Swiss Army Workchamp. Brilliant design, great ergonomics and very functional.
R

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Sure, the optimal tool is best. But the logistics of keeping a bunch of tools nearby is unrealistic, at least it is for me. I own a bunch of multi-tools are use them constantly. By far my favorite is the Swiss Army Workchamp. Brilliant design, great ergonomics and very functional.
R
I forgot about them, I have the Swiss Champ, I bought it about 15 years ago and never really bonded with the thing I also have one of the Buck multi tools and they are rubbish, The spring broke on the scissors about 2 months after I bought it, My Original 1990's Super Tool is my favourite, the new Super Tool 300 is too bulky,

geojag

Although I agree that a multitool is not the correct too for any job, it can do in a pinch for a lot of jobs. My favorite is the Wave, it accepts bits so you can easily switch the but if it is damaged, and you can get a good variety of bits. I also like that you can access the blades, saw, and file without opening the tool, and they lock.

CSG

Explorer
I'm not sure if the Leatherman Wave is my favorite but it's the model I own two of (kept in the glovebox).

old .45

Observer
I have several Gerbers but the one that is with me when I travel is a original Leatherman I found when I stepped out of my truck in the middle of the Mojave road..... at least the guy who lost it should know that it is used and has a great story attached to it, cheers!

robert

Expedition Leader
I keep an older model Leatherman Wave in my daypack. I picked up a couple of the newer model Waves when Walmart had them on clearance for, IIRC, $20, but they're heavier. They do have some nice features though. I kept one as a spare and gave the others as gifts. I've got one of the Gerbers as well (no idea which model); I like how the pliers will pop out one handed but don't use it much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles