Favorite Multi-tool

riverguide

Adventurer
off topic...cholla is a cactus..is it like the teddy bear cactus that lays around in balls on the ground and sticks to Anything in its path? If so then I've used a leatherman on myself to remove Cholla from my leg. :(

multitools are great like everyone has said. Just use them on the right stuff. I love gerber stuff and the leatherman is a great tool as well. I'm not familiar with the swisstool. They can save you in a pinch though.

Beerman

For clarification, I tend to mainly use the pliers functionality of the multi tool for fishing and only in cases of nothing else being available.

I looked into the swisstool spirit. It comes with a cool ratchet.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Gerber...

I've had my Gerber multi-tool since 1996. I wear it on my belt whenever camping or working around the house/yard.

I wore it to work everyday in high school (groundskeeper/maintenance man for apartment complexes). I lost it for a year in college (it was under the couch cushions). My former job(post college) was as lead installer for a warehouse equipment company (installing conveyor, pallet rack, etc.). It was always on my belt while in the field at that job. I used it for opening packages, clipping the steel bands off of pallets, etc. One day I was using it to hold a 3/4" square nut (something Brian rightly protests) and one of the parts to the sliding pliers snapped off. I bought another Gerber, scavenged the needed part off of it, and fixed my Gerber... so I have a brand new Gerber minus one part sitting in my junk basket to this day.

I love my Gerber and use it extensively. It has stood the test of time mechanically, has two great blades on it, and has sentimental value as well.
:cool:

Justin

Observer
My Swiss Army "Fieldmaster" multi-tool has done the trick for some time now. I have never had to get myself a Letherman since I am never without people who don't have one. Also, whenever I leave for an extended amount of time, I usually bring a small tool box which would render a Leatherman semi-useless, unless of course I am backpacking.

762X39

Explorer
I have had Leatherman tools since my first one (you might call it a classic) in about 1990 (sorry if I got the date wrong). One of the people at work thought I was crazy for paying $75 for a pair of pliers but he would borrow it 5 times a day. When we were working on the new Fire Station and Police Station (1993), the Fire Chief was intrigued by it and now none of them leave home without one (Fire or Police Service). The Gerber Tool is a piece of crap in comparison ( my opinion) and I am on my fourth Leatherman ( I need to stop losing them on jobsites) . I have access to a full tool kit at all times but I still reach for my Leatherman 40 times a day.It just works.

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
I may be an exception in that I don't like them. I bought the very first Leatherman when it came out and have owned a bunch since then--all brands. I could probably lay my hands on 4-5 right now in my truck, my wife's car, my backpack, etc. But I almost never use them and am usually frustrated when I do. I know they are a compromise but are generally a poor substitute for a REAL screwdriver or pair of pliers and I've generally got actual tools at hand. Zipping up flame resistant suit now.

GB_Willys_2014

Holy necroposting batman, j/k :)

I have a collection of Leatherman tools, dating back to an original PST, and have a 1st Gen Wave on me right now. I don't leave home without it.

I give Leatherman tools for graduations, Bar Mitzvahs, Confirmations, etc.

Big fan of them.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Since it's back, I'll chip in. I don't like them. I have one somewhere but I don't keep track of it's whereabouts. If I fished, it would probably be useful in the tackle box for cutting line, removing hooks from fish, etc. Not useful for mechanical repairs IMO but POSSIBLY better than nothing in an emergency...

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Hmm, old thread but a good topic.

My folks gave me a Leatherman Super-tool 300 on my last birthday. I think I accidentally complained I had a junk multi tool around them once and they got an idea. I got a few holsters for it and a bit kit and have made it part of my daily use EDC stuff. I really like it now I'm used to keeping it close.

Left to my own devices I'd probably picked the Signal, but the super tool seems a bit more substantial as a tool, it has less stuff but what it has is more robust. I don't see it as a true EDC necessity, but I do keep it either on the MOLLE of my day bag that I keep in the truck or in my cargo pocket.

Its pretty handy in that if you keep it close, its easier than running to the tool box or digging out a tool roll for a quick and simple job. For most household stuff, it's more than enough. It can open battery doors, fix simple wiring, tighten a rogue screw, etc...

gringo m

Observer
I'm carrying the Leatherman Sidekick today, I like the pocket clip. It's not a sub for "real" tools because it's not supposed to be. So don't compare a multi tool to full size tools. It comes in handy a lot because it's in my pocket.

huachuca

Adventurer
Original Leatherman SuperTool from mid 90’s (?) and on my belt as I type this. My wife was a team leader in the O/R at the time and a paramedic had fixed some piece of equipment in the ambulance with his which made an impression on her. It’s not particularly great at anything but is passable for most everything.

kpredator

Adventurer
Multi tools certainly don’t replace the correct
Tool.But are handy in the boat or carried
On a self drive trip. My favorites have been
A Kershaw and vice grip made a multi tool
For a time. Can you tell I have some farming
Blood in me!!!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I have had 2 or 3 Leatherman tools over the last few decades, but now have a Victorinox and I have to say it is in another league in terms of precision.
Never leave home without it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online