Favorite Cold Weather Modifications

MattScott

Approved Vendor
With the impending winter of doom only a few months away (and my temporary return to Chicago) I'm curious what everyone's favorite cold weather modifications are?

I've developed a strange niche for cold weather exploration and I'd like to see myself doing more of it this year.

What are your "must-do" modifications for winter?

Personally, I've been loving the idea of making a solar-powered oil pan heater, though on the top of my list are such novel things as...doors, and a roof...and a functioning heater...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Yeah I would think doors & a roof (with insulation on each) would make a bit of a difference in your FJ40 :)

On the heater side of things the cfm of the fan can make a real difference in that if you get a aftermarket unit make sure if moves enough air so you feel it. Of course if you go OEM Toyota I would think you would be fine but I have not heard either way.
Also you can add aux coolant heaters in the rear of the vehicle which are plumbed into the system and give you another heater core & fan. I would also make sure I was running a 195 thermostat so you get the engine hot enough to provide coolant to warm you.

I have always found gloves to really help as you are not holding a cold steering wheel and losing heat through conduction.

Personally I hate the cold so I doubt I will be much good to you :)

Aegis

K9 Handler
For me? Doesn't matter what I'm driving, I always make sure I have a pair of these stowed away somewhere inside :)

1927kw2.png

spikolli

cold weather mods

Being a Canadian resident my cold weather mods are a block heater, synthetic engine oil and gearbox oil and the highest Cold cranking Amp batter I can find. We get come cold nights -30C and a car that won't start defeats the puropse. Hot tip (pun intended) AC on hot warms more quickly than the engine coolant. Once the temp gauge reads Hot I switch over.

Craig

Adventurer
I drive an old HJ45 Troopie with a very anemic heater and no insulation and I live in New England...so you can question my smarts...but my wife found some heavy clear vinyl material and cut me a curtain that goes from floor to ceiling and held up with a sailing baton, and wall to wall and secured with magnets to the inside of the body. It is mounted directly behind the driver's seat and really cuts down on space that needs to be heated.

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

Aegis

K9 Handler
I drive an old HJ45 Troopie with a very anemic heater and no insulation and I live in New England...so you can question my smarts...but my wife found some heavy clear vinyl material and cut me a curtain that goes from floor to ceiling and held up with a sailing baton, and wall to wall and secured with magnets to the inside of the body. It is mounted directly behind the driver's seat and really cuts down on space that needs to be heated.

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

That's a pretty slick idea!

RubiChris

Observer
I'll second the upgrade on the fan. I had a 68 FJ40 when I lived in AK and with the upgraded fan, I could get enough hot air to keep the windshield defrosted and make the interior of the car almost pleasant. The magnet-attached curtain is brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that...

sargeek

Adventurer
Winter Mods

I used to carry a surplus wool blanket and hang it over the roll bar to keep from heating the back half of a jeep. Inexpensive and effective.

Other mods:
1) Engine Heater, & a high quality battery maintainer. If you are going to pay to use the high wattage engine heater, why not install a maintainer on the battery to keep it topped off. Electrical demands are crazy in the winter.
2)Heated Battery Blanket
3) Gloves, boots and a shovel in the car.
4) Ice Scraper
5) Tow Strap
6) Tire Chains - (Most storms and snow events a 4x4 can get through, but if you need to do real work, pull trailers, get other vehicles unstuck chains are worth their weight. - watching a chained Jeep TJ pull a fully loaded F350 up hill is pretty funny.)

ssapach

Adventurer
Back in 2008 I had an Espar coolant heater installed on my diesel pickup. It burns diesel from the trucks tank and heats the engine coolant. Never have to plug it in at all and if I have it run for about 45 min before starting the truck, the fan will blow nice warm air on start-up.

Best mod I could have ever done to my diesel truck!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Living in the Sierra's for 28 years my recommendation for cold weather is to move to Prescott......... but hold on.

evilfij

Explorer
At the end of the day, I end up just wearing a thick coat if I have to drive my D90 on the highway in winter.

The heater works fine and if you are sitting or driving slow, it is actually quite toasty. Once you hit the highway the softtop acts like a bellows and pumps the hot air out and the cold air in.

I write only to note no one has said radiator muff yet and the best thing I have are sheepskin seat covers. Man I love those things.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I guess I should state that I'm just looking for a little boost in the mornings, I know solar doesn't do me anything at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles