Favorite Cold Weather Modifications

colodak

Adventurer
installed heated wipers a few months back, we'll see how they work. Truck is currently having the entire HVAC system rebuilt, new heater core, evap., blend door, actuators and fan. Hopefully I will have a much warmer winter, although, if the roads are dry, I try to ride the motorcycle as often as possible.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
There is no reasonable way to power a block heater with a solar panel, unless you have about 60-70 square feet of panels connected, and then you will still not have very good efficiency until the middle of the day when you are up north above 40 deg latitude in the winter. Plug in a/c or get an on-board coolant heater fired by your vehicle's native fuel source. Espar makes both diesel and gasoline fired coolant heaters. They have timers for them that you can program to start when you need them at 0-dark:30.

Run the tubing that feeds your windshield washer fluid around a heater hose a few turns...makes getting that delightful Lake Michigan ice off easier :)

KAA ... waaaay out west - Des Moines :)

overlander

Expedition Leader
Funny, I live in Minnesota and I don't have any of those things...

You don't need them in Charlotte, but I travel beyond Charlotte. I would think everyone on this forum does or plans to. If this is a thread about what your car needs to get to work during the winter, then I don't have anything to add. My apologies.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Hmmm, I may steal this idea...

Jason

You can use copper tubing wrapped around your upper radiator hose if you really want to get fancy. My pumps near my hose. But in Ohio, once my engine is warm, my window is warm, and wash fluid temp isn't making an once of difference.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I try and stay home in the winter but when I do take the Jeep out a must carry is a towel. Mostly for wiping the windshield. I'd be lost living in a place like Minnesota. Probably give the locals a good laugh though :)

Bretthn

Explorer
I have found the fogging on the inside of the windshield in the winter is due to too much moisture inside the vehicle. I put a tub of Damprid (made to draw moisture out of basements) in the interior for about a week and dump about a cup of water out of it daily. No more moisture=no more fogging or need for towel. Of coarse this probably does't do much good for soft tops.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
You don't need them in Charlotte, but I travel beyond Charlotte. I would think everyone on this forum does or plans to. If this is a thread about what your car needs to get to work during the winter, then I don't have anything to add. My apologies.

No need for apologies, whatever works man. I wasn't making fun, just a bit bemused really.

I do use synthetic oil and make sure my battery is in good shape...have a few things in the car like a tow strap, small shovel, and a warm coat or blanket in case I get stuck in a ditch overnight or something.

h4rdflip

Observer
Just a question tho, if you heat the washer fluid too much would there be a chance of breaking the windshield if its really cold, I had a nugget in my windshield and the following morning when I cranked the heater it cracked all the way side to side in like a minute.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Many European cars have heated windshields and heated washer fluid. I've never had a windshield cracking because I used those features

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk now Free

h4rdflip

Observer
20131025_141022.jpg
Its finally in, I still cant believe how comfy they are compare to the stock ranger seats, hopefully Ill come accross a ranger with a tilt steering column at the wreck yard this winter as it is seating 2 inches higher.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'll second the upgrade on the fan. I had a 68 FJ40 when I lived in AK and with the upgraded fan, I could get enough hot air to keep the windshield defrosted and make the interior of the car almost pleasant. The magnet-attached curtain is brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that...

What fan upgrade ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles