Favorite Big truck all-terrain tire or mud for camper weight and longevity?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,
Having had oh, maybe 35 sets of tires on 4WD's I don't buy any tire any more for "The look". The only thing I don't like about the AT-3's is, by design (big tread blocks/small voids), they are NOT a good mud tire. But I don't do much mud anymore and try to avoid it. I only have about 10K miles on the AT-3's and as you can see they don't show much wear if any. But this was the same M.O. that former AT-3's showed. After about 20K miles the tread started to wear faster and get louder. A noise reduction approach was to keep the tires at maximum pressure on pavement. The one thing I did not mention is the penchant for the tire to get noisier as it wears. They tell me that the production model I have in the pix above have solved that woe with less crescendo of noise level as they wear. Since I have different wheels, front and rear I must dismount, remount and balance the tires to do an actual tire rotation. I think we got 55K miles on Jeanie's 2011 Jeep G.C., which is not a light vehicle, and they still had a lot of tread left. We just could not take the noise level anymore. I've tried all kinds of Nittos, Toyos, Mickey Thompson, Cepek, BFG, etc., etc. mud tires and while they look ruggedly cool they fail to give the miles that the AT-3's do. jefe

Thank you Jefe for the response and I have been through my share of tires as well. I am currently running Cooper ST Maxx's (285/75/R17's) and they have been a great tire (very tough and are wearing well). As you know, I am moving up to an 18" rim because the 17" rim has been forsaken in the heavy duty tire world for the most part as the base rim size for modern trucks is 18" and they go up from there. To get the load rating I have been looking at 285/75/r18's (34.84"/4080lb @ 80 psi) which the ST Maxx's do not come in and to get close, I have to move up to the 305/70/R18 (35.08"/3750 @ 65 psi) in the ST Maxx. If Cooper made the ST Maxx in the 285/75/R18 size, I would order them in a minute . I do like the idea of going back to a more tame AT as I lost 1 mpg from the Nitto Terra Grapplers I had before this set and I really like the 285 width. I just wanted to hear from someone who uses their truck like I do (heavy weight/offroad) and how you liked them and how they are wearing.

I hate buying tires...

Jack

Last edited:

camp4x4

Adventurer
I have been running an '87 Chevy Suburban on Toyo R/T's for about a year and have absolutely loved them. Lots of highway and a good amount of trails.

So, though I haven't specifically run either, I'd say 1. Toyo A/T's and 2. Toyo M/T... but better yet, split the difference and go Toyo R/Ts!

Copperhead14

Observer
Here you go. I also liked the ST/MAXX I had on my wrangler.

Attachments

• CBF01EB8-50FF-4D6C-BEA3-BAA35338846E.jpeg
    CBF01EB8-50FF-4D6C-BEA3-BAA35338846E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • 6FE537C2-2D57-4608-9ECD-0BE5EE294AD7.jpeg
    6FE537C2-2D57-4608-9ECD-0BE5EE294AD7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Adventurous,
I was surprised at how well the AT-3's did on our winter crossing, coming from Reno over the 7K foot pass at Donner Summit down to our digs at the 4K foot level on the west slope Northern Sierra Nevadas. With the camper on it was snow most of the way; I was in 4WD for 50 miles on I-80 and the sippes and snow friendly voids working well. Did i mention the other thing that the AT-3 lack? Sexy. They just don't project my rugged, outdoor spirit well. 8<}
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz