Fault Code reader

fishy1011

There are already a few threads discussing the challenges of the proprietary OBDII connection in the FG trucks.

What are the chances that the link below would be able to read the code, which even if it has an incorrect description, could still be OK to cross check against the fault codes in the service manual?

Anyone tried one of these? Could it work?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In my experience, there are subtle differences between the US and Australian Fuso models when it comes to the electronics.
The scanner you link to sounds good, but are you willing to fork out the bucks in order to be the Australian guinea pig?

What truck do you have? The FG84 or the FGB71?

Welcome to the forum BTW... :)

The Artisan

Adventurer
There are already a few threads discussing the challenges of the proprietary OBDII connection in the FG trucks.

What are the chances that the link below would be able to read the code, which even if it has an incorrect description, could still be OK to cross check against the fault codes in the service manual?

Anyone tried one of these? Could it work?
Thanks for posting the link I have a 07 fe140 in limp mode. Great deal on this reader.
Kevin

gait

Explorer
my 2005 FG649 in Aus has only one wire to the OBDII socket. The cables provided with this unit would seem to be inadequate for my vehicle.

I've stopped looking after a couple of tries. The blink codes were sufficient the one occasion I needed codes. I occasionally think of making something to count the blinks and convert to a description but for the amount of effort to develop I figured it was just as easy to do it the long way.

Howard70

Adventurer
While I don't know for sure, I suspect this code reader is similar to what you can determine & clear via the diagnostic access through your dash. That allows reading many error codes (interpreting the code takes a shop manual) as well as clearing many of them. However, that diagnostic tool and I suspect this reader, will not get you out of many limp mode situations.

Howard L. Snell

The Artisan

Adventurer
While I don't know for sure, I suspect this code reader is similar to what you can determine & clear via the diagnostic access through your dash. That allows reading many error codes (interpreting the code takes a shop manual) as well as clearing many of them. However, that diagnostic tool and I suspect this reader, will not get you out of many limp mode situations.

Howard L. Snell
Can you expand on your statement about diagnostics through the dash. Generally when mine goes into limp the fuel filter is dirty. Once I change it is good to go. Not this time.
Kevin

fishy1011

Thanks all for the input. The blink codes certainly seem like a good baseline, but in the service manual it notes that the (OEM) readers can display more codes/details, and also have the potential for resets.

So even a simple reader (if it connects) may have some benefit over the blink codes (and that is certainly a big IF, given everyone's past struggles).

A thread from a few years ago mentioned a bluetooth reader combined with Android app (Torque) worked on a US version of FG637 (2007 I believe):

Anyone tried these with an FG84? In the US or Australia? The FG84 model seems to have a slightly more complex ECU, makes me wonder if the Torque app would still work. At least it is a cheaper unit to test.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I own 5 different code readers, and I have tried a couple of others too, but none of them have been able to successfully read the data stream that comes out of a 2010 FG84 (Australian model) ECU.
This Nexas code reader may be an exception to the rule, but I am hesitant to throw more of my money at another scanner that may or may not work.
Who's going to step up and buy one and test it out?

These scanners are also available on Amazon @ about $120
https://www.amazon.com/NEXAS-Scanner-Diagnostic-Engine-Transmission/dp/B01N4GH6UZ

Last edited:
My cheap Bluetooth code reader coupled with the Torque app seems to be able to read codes on my Australian FG84, but any other info like revs or pressures are nonsense.

Howard70

Adventurer
Can you expand on your statement about diagnostics through the dash. Generally when mine goes into limp the fuel filter is dirty. Once I change it is good to go. Not this time.
Kevin
Hello Kevin:
Following from pdf of workshop manual purchased online for Canters sold in USA from 2012 through 2016. Brief comparison to workshop manual for 2017 suggests process is the same for that year. As I mentioned above this lets you read the numeric codes. Interpreting what those codes might mean requires searching through the workshop manual. In my limited experience clearing codes via this method rarely (if ever) solves a limp mode issue. If the condition that caused the error persists you just get the error again quite quickly.

Howard
Dash_Diagnostics_Pg1.jpg
Dash_Diagnostics_Pg2.jpg
Dash_Diagnostics_Pg3.jpg

gait

Explorer
I believe the purpose of limp mode is to avoid damage or excessive pollution from a fault that doesn't totally disable the vehicle. It seems logical to expect the problem to be fixed rather than simply deleting the fault code. Easier said than done sometimes - last year's marathon example was a confusing code that had its source within the fuel pump ECU on a 4D34-T engine.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Thanks Howard and Gait limp is just that keeps it bellow 40 so you can limp it to a safe place. I agree I do not want to clear it I want to see what the issue is so I can fix it or have it fixed
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior