fargo vs elmariachi...new bikepacking rig

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am relatively new to the whole bikepacking thing and my excursions have been limited to one night stands since my bikes aren't currently the best for frame bags and multiple bottles, etc

I am now looking for a bike I can add a bit more bags to and turn weekends easily here in N. AZ. Currently planning memorial day in the N. Rim Grand Canyon area.

I have been saving pennies for the past year now...and working on turning over the stable...

Salsa is going to get some business from me in the next week or so as I am planning on ordering a bike or two that will be a little more easy to load for longer trips.

Budget is fixed and right now my choices are:

1. el mariachi...most likely the ti frame...I don't race much anymore but I like having the option...

2. fargo...possibly the ti frame but more likely the fargo 2 in steel with the carbon fork.
main concern I have with the fargo build is I am not a fan of the dual tap sram shifters. I always felt that they took a lot more effort to shift to a lower gear than the shimano counterparts. The necessary swing of the dual tap arm for the down shift seems excessive and awkward. I haven't ridden new sram though as my red shifters are from 2008 so I don't know if this has improved.
The mechanical discs are also meh...my beargrease came with the bb7s and they work but I am planning on switching them to hydralic asap.

Neither of these are deal breakers but I guess I was hoping to hear from those who have done a lot of bike packing what they might prefer if you could choose only one.

I could possible squeeze both out of my budget with the lower build kit on the el mariachi but I would like to pick one and go with it for the time being...

What say yous guys...

I know the salsa vibe is strong in the forum so I am hoping some of you guys chime in...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have the Ti Fargo (featured in Overland Journal's last issue). It is an incredible bike. I'm not one to line up to buy Double Tap, but I must admit, it does work quite well. No complaints from me. I'm actually warming to it. As for the BB7 brakes, it is the simplicity of them that I think fits into the bikepacking style of travel. They're pretty infallible and easy to repair in the field or in some backwater town with limited resources.

The difference between the Fargo and El Mariache boils down to how much singletrack you see in your future. The Fargo does great on singletrack, but the El Mariache obviously does singletrack better. If my route has several dozen miles of gravel or pavement I take the Fargo.

Think of the Fargo as a super burly touring bike. Like a Defender 110. The El Mariache is more like a two-door JK.

monkeyrider

Observer
I actually use bar-end shifters on my fargo. I prefer the position to having the shifter and brake connected since I spend most the time in the drops. I've had no problems with BB7s on any of my bikes.

I'd echo what Christophe said, if there is more singletrack in your riding get the Mariachi, more gravel get the Fargo. I love my Fargo, but it's not as nimble in singletrack like a mariachi. I do own the first generation Fargo. Salsa has since changed the geometry to make handle more like a traditional mt bike.

p nut

butter
Big deciding factor for me would be the drop bars. I do like drop bars, but only on my cross bike. I've tried the off-road drops (Midge), but just couldn't get used to it. Good ol' straight bar works for me. Plus, I like being on the singletrack moreso than dirt roads (although the El Mar can handle all very well). So I would lean towards the El Mariachi, especially the new 14's, as they changed up the geo (for the better). Guys have won the Divide race on these rigs. They're great rigs (owned a '10 back a few years ago). I would get the Fargo fork, though, since it's got cage mounts.

monkeyrider

Observer
I do like the cage mounts Salsa puts on the Fargo and Mukluk forks. They work great for bottles or if you add the anything cages you can carry more. I recently picked up a 9zero7 and it doesn't have cage mounts on the fork. I tried two fish cages and they failed miserably.

squatch

Adventurer
I just built up a 14 fargo with woodchippers. Real fun bike. The geo is made around drop bars (short top tube) I am running Shimano aero brake levers and Shimano CX77 cable pull disc brakes. Bye far the best cable pull disc brakes I have used. Enjoy your new ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles