Farewall Land Cruiser?

4Beast

Observer
I noticed the 2020 LC Heritage edition is on Toyota.com

Does anyone see this as a sign in either direction, go out with a bang, or it’s not really over yet? It a little strange to me that they release this iteration after how many years of the same trim?
I wouldn't see it as much different than the 40th anniversary editions of the 80 series in '97, but who really knows.

nickw

Adventurer
Based on what we know from the Prius's, it will probably be pretty damn reliable! Nothing wrong with hybrid tech if done well, lots of large industrial platforms use derivatives it. I think Toyota saw the writing on the wall several years back and didn't wanna get too caught up in bringing over diesels and jumped to hybrid tech....I still think it makes more sense than Diesel (current / dpf ones at least) and electric....

nickw

Adventurer
A diesel-electric "hybrid" seems to work fine for locomotives. Diesel hybrids to me makes a lot of sense but it would be gasoline.
Sure - but then you get into the same issues of emission control that all current diesels have.

I think for hybrid cars, gas works well, since it has the stop/start functionality, which is easier on a gas engine. Also, most of the efficiency comes from the hybrid tech....pulling numbers out of thin air, if a gas gets 50 mpg then maybe the diesel gets 55, it's a fairly small % difference, vs what we see now with conventional vehicles, 20 vs 25 mpg.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Toyota sold the 10 millionth Land Cruiser.

Thought this was interesting statistic.

"The large 4x4 is sold in "approximately 170 countries and regions," and Australia is one of its biggest fans. Of the 10 million, 1.065 million, or 10.6 percent of overall sales, were grabbed off of Aussie lots. In 2018, Toyota globally sold more than 318,000 Cruisers, and 42,267 of those were in Australia. The U.S. is much less interested these days (thank/blame the price for that), as Toyota only sold 3,222 Land Cruisers in America in 2018."

One of the other problems I think we have in America is lack of LC choices. You can have any LC you want as long as its a fully loaded 200 series. :)

Jack

Explorerinil

Observer
Since reading this thread I’ve been looking hard for other newer land cruisers on the road, Thursday I counted 10 on the interstate on my way to Wisconsin, Friday here in Wisconsin I’ve seen 4 in the dells area. I sure hope Toyota does not stop importing them to the US, they are a great looking SUV.

T-Willy

I bought a 2019 Expedition last week. Its far more luxury and unwanted bling than I wanted but its a nice rig. Its it a trail rig? Hell no. It can tow a trail rig. Lol

Congrats. They are really nice.

For purposes of extended remote dirt touring, there aren't many wagons that match the Land Cruiser's durability, reliability and capability. If they discontinue delivery of the 200 to the U.S. it'll leave a big gap, in my opinion. Ward, in the video above, offers some useful thinking on possible solutions.

musthave

As the future gets closer I'd suspect that they'll be taking our vehicles off the roads. Either by EPA regulations or insurance costs, etc. They will find a way for us to move to the latest bio-diesel or battery powered mini car. Meantime, I'm driving my 80 and enjoying it every day I can. Hopefully the future doesn't come too soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles