Farewall Land Cruiser?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

View attachment 552070

View attachment 552072

In this country

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I've come to agree with your point. When I first got into Cruisers and Toyotas it was certainly a case of lusting after what we can't have. But logically a domestic full size does the job the 70 series would. Not as interesting as a troop carrier or what have you but just as utilitarian. I'd still prefer to a Hilux over a Tacoma but that's only more because I don't care for the over complication of American vehicles and the disregard for more simple reliability and repairability. But that's just the nature of our car market, turning over leases every 3 years and the marketing to attention spans typical of a 5 year old.

There isn’t anything domestically that compares to a 70 series.

Reactions: GTV

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Subjectively and emotionally, of course not. Functionally, sure there is, @nickw showed it. Regular cab F350 XL, boxed frame, vinyl floor, 40/20/40 vinyl bench seat, Dana 60 leafs in back, solid axle coil sprung front. Building it with a diesel and 4x4 puts it at about $50k. Have the option to put in lockers, too. What makes this not equivalent? In 1978 or 1996 it was probably true I just don't think it is anymore.

Well if that’s the case I’ll just use a unimog. An F350 vs a half ton is silly.
But comparing a domestic suv to a 70 series there isn’t anything comparable.

tacollie

Glamper
If someone thinks a 200 rides bad they are a delicate ********. The LC sold in the US just doesn't fit in any demographic. LC guys don't care about a cooled center console and luxury people don't care about off-road prowess.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If someone thinks a 200 rides bad they are a delicate ********. The LC sold in the US just doesn't fit in any demographic. LC guys don't care about a cooled center console and luxury people don't care about off-road prowess.

They sell 200s all over the world and they haven’t sold any fewer 200s than they did 100s or 60s. So maybe people like it. I would love to have a 200 series.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I guess getting a 1 ton truck that costs the equivalent of $20,000 less is silly.

That's probably true. Maybe a 3/4 ton Suburban 2500 or HD is the closest but its morphed into solving a different problem now than years ago, back when people would so crazy stuff like pop top them just like they did troopies.

View attachment 552092

Then why aren’t people choosing an F350 over a wrangler? The cost for a wrangler is insane. Unless you get a bare bones. But spending over 50 for one is crazy to me.

tacollie

Glamper
They sell 200s all over the world and they haven’t sold any fewer 200s than they did 100s or 60s. So maybe people like it. I would love to have a 200 series.
I would love a 200. I love my Tundra. The majority of people think Tundras and 200s don't offer anything relative to the competition. You and I are the minority

tacollie

Glamper
You're level headed and not a rabid fanboy, objectively what do they offer? The 200 I agree is unique, the 4Runner to some extent too being a body-on-frame hold out in its market.

In any case I'm a poor judge of these things because I don't really "understand" Cruiser station wagons. We had a 4th gen 4Runner for about a year thinking it would be the next step from my mini truck. It never clicked, which is why I went to a Tacoma when the '91 wore out.

Now after owning it a few years I could see driving something like that F350 if it came down to it. I don't see that the Toyota trucks of 2019 are fungible with the Toyota trucks of 1991. It's probably just the market and regulations leveling everything. Why should I pay the premium still? When I figure the Ranger originated with Ford Australia, I dunno, I don't think being blindly loyal makes sense.
I always say the biggest issue with LCs and 4runners is they aren't trucks. I bought it Tundra after test driving 5 F150s. The Tundra is 5 years older and had more miles but drives better. If I replace it with a full-size it'll probably be a PW. If I replace it with a midsize it's be a Ranger. If I have in and replace it with a SUV is would be a LC. I'm slowly shopping for a FJ40 for when I want to 4wheel. Full size sucks off road.

nickw

Adventurer
Well if that’s the case I’ll just use a unimog. An F350 vs a half ton is silly.
But comparing a domestic suv to a 70 series there isn’t anything comparable.

A Unimog is a industrial vehicle that costs what, $150k and is not designed to drive, commute and live daily with...

tacollie

Glamper
I may be the only Toyota guy who owned an FJ40 and doesn't miss it. I'd have probably liked an FJ45 pickup and doubt I would have sold an FJ60 if I'd have bought one of those instead of the FJ40. The 40 is too small, always felt like the Clampetts with two people + dog. The XtraCab pickup + WilderNest was just right.

View attachment 552147
It's won't be our primary travel vehicle. It'll be my side truck ?

nickw

Adventurer
I may be the only Toyota guy who owned an FJ40 and doesn't miss it. I'd have probably liked an FJ45 pickup and doubt I would have sold an FJ60 if I'd have bought one of those instead of the FJ40. The 40 is too small, always felt like the Clampetts with two people + dog. The XtraCab pickup + WilderNest was just right.

View attachment 552147
I'm with ya! I had a mint 1978, ran great, super clean....it was cool as all get out, great for weekends or sunny days but really didn't have any practical use for it. I was much better off in a pickup like you...

nickw

Adventurer
If this is directed at me saying LC's ride 'rough', I was talking about the overseas 1-Ton 70's.

tacollie

Glamper
If this is directed at me saying LC's ride 'rough', I was talking about the overseas 1-Ton 70's.
All 1-tons ride like a crap until you put weight on them. I've only been in a leaf spring 70. I have no clue about the ones with coils. I like that the 7x has good payload without being huge. That's draw for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles