Fantastic max fans, why are they loved so much?

Paddy

Adventurer
We have a fantastic fan on one van and I tore it apart to make a timer switch on it as my client requested. I was surprised to find that it’s lower settings were accomplished by burning volts off in a big ass resistor. So much heat is WASTED that they even put in a screened heat vent for the resistor. This is poor design in my opinion. So the rap on these fans, which are quite expensive, is that they are so efficient. Well, I’m not buying it guys. It’s ************ plastic, and inefficient design leading to wasted amps. ******?!

Joe917

Explorer
I totally agree. we bought 3 fantastic fans on the strength of reviews and they are poorly constructed plastic junk.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The maxxfan brand is better, but still leaves some to be desired. maxxfan uses PWM to regulate speed. I believe the newer fantastic fans do as well. Older models did have a resistor I think. On high my maxxfan uses something like 4A. Pretty efficient compared to some blowers, but not a minor draw. Maxfan also offers a wired wall mount remote.

There are some good marine units, but they are $$$$. Another option is to get a centrifugal blower, and put a closable exhaust vent on a wall/floor/roof. A pwm controller with pulse start would make for good control.

86scotty

Cynic
[QUOTE="luthj, post: 2587974, member: 102861" Maxfan also offers a wired wall mount remote.

[/QUOTE]

You mean wireless remote? I have two in that Transit to the <- left and I did the rear one over the bed with the wireless remote so we don't have to climb to adjust it if we aren't in bed.

I've bought and used many Fantastic Fans over the years but not anymore. The Maxxfan is far superior in every way, especially design.

nastav

Adventurer
[QUOTE="luthj, post: 2587974, member: 102861" Maxfan also offers a wired wall mount remote.

You mean wireless remote? I have two in that Transit to the <- left and I did the rear one over the bed with the wireless remote so we don't have to climb to adjust it if we aren't in bed.

I've bought and used many Fantastic Fans over the years but not anymore. The Maxxfan is far superior in every way, especially design.[/QUOTE]

They make a WIRED remote as well. The location of the jack on the fan and the design of the plug make it difficult the make that connection when the fan is installed..I have one sitting on a shelf....not sure what to do with it....
https://pantherrvproducts.com/maxxa...ll-control-for-maxxfan-plus-and-deluxe-black/

Paddy

Adventurer
Pwm is the best way to go with these. I like to run a fan, wether big or small, on low. I’d rather be patient and efficient than loud. SO the lower speeds are most important. Sounds like max fan is better, or maybe they are both updated now. Still, for the $ they charge, I’d expect remote controls, motorized hatches, thermostat, timer, lights and a fog machine.

Reactions: WVI

Paddy

Adventurer
Hmmm, so you’re saying the Maxxair 00-04500k for instance is PWM? It seems to have a lot of features more than I thought they had available. And that wired wall control looks very nice.

Joe917

Explorer
we got the Fantastic fan with the rain closing feature. Sounded great. Problem is when you get condensation inside the cover the fan will not open. PITA, that was the first feature we disconnected.

eblau

Adventurer
I'm with you, I bought one for my FWC but rarely used it unless I was cooking. It was loud and I could not sleep with it on. Interestingly enough the original fan in my 92 class B is significantly more quiet so I wouldn't rule out that I had some sort of defect with my new one.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
As far as I know, all the maxxfan units are PWM. Except maybe the budget model with 2 speeds and no remote?

zelseman

Observer
We have the base model Fantastic Fan in our skoolie and love it. We use it when cooking and any time the temp gets above 75 or so and it works great. We have had zero complaints so far. Owned it a little over a year, I guess time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior