Fan clutch

syke

Adventurer
What am I doing wrong? :sombrero::sombrero: I am trying to replace the fan clutch in the 99 D1. Tried loosening the nut counter clock wise with the belt still on and it just slipped the pulley. Normally I have been able to change a fan clutch without removing the belt. Not the case so far. Removed the belt, vise grips on the water pump pulley, wedged against the tensioner pulley. Smacked the wrench a few good times but all I'm doing at this point is marring up the pulley. I was thinking maybe a strap wrench over the pulley might work but I am unable to find such a tool.
Any idea's? I'm trying the penetrating oil over night and will resume in the morning.
Thanks guys.

Serg5000

Adventurer
Try tapping the nut with a hammer to shock the nut from the threads. Don't beat on it just give it a couple good shots. Good luck.

rover4x4

Adventurer
get a big wrench and a small hammer it will come a loose. WHat fan clutch are you replacing it with?

syke

Adventurer
Thanks for the help guys.... I ended up using a little heat to help finish the job. :sombrero:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I give them a quick rap with an air-chisel with a sharp bit. It's the quick impact that you need to get them loose.

Glad you got yours off.

thallca

Observer
When I replaced mine in my 89 rover, I took a shop rag, folded it up and placed it between the belt and pully. It acted like a wedge and I was able to un-screw the bolt.

Errant

Explorer
When I replaced mine in my 89 rover, I took a shop rag, folded it up and placed it between the belt and pully. It acted like a wedge and I was able to un-screw the bolt.

That's exactly how I did it on my '98 Disco. Worked like a charm :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke