Family weekend at Havasupai Point, Grand Canyon Az

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Like many fathers and husbands before me I've been on a mission to share my love of the outdoors with my family. I grew up backpacking, flyfishing, and camping all over the southwest and want nothing more than to share that spirit of adventure with my wife and daughter as its these shared experiences that we will cherish forever.

We've done brief local trips that ended in disaster due to my poor planning and equipment selection. Gear intended for a solo backpacking trip isn't conducive to family camping. My wife's excitement wavered because of these trips but she always maintained a flickering interest. So with that, I set off to find more appropriate equipment and pick a destination that would get her hooked. What better location than the Grand Canyon at sunset and an RTT to crash in?

I chose Havasupai Point based on the recommendations of other ExPo members, its close proximity to my home in Flagstaff, and our ability to stay right on the rim. Camping in the park with hundreds of other visitors a mile from the rim didn't appeal to us. There's nothing like enjoying the canyon in solitude on a moonlit night!

The road in was in good condition but I noted that it would be a muddy mess with the least bit of moisture and its monsoon season here so that was likely. The last five miles proved to be the most technical due to the narrow trail but my stock DC Tacoma made it just fine apart from some AZ pin striping.

My favorite part of any trip is the moment when you crest the hill or round the bend to your destination and find the view you've been anticipating.
100_1033.jpg

Since this was our maiden voyage with new equipment (like the RTT :victory:) I was eager to set up camp. I tested most of it out prior to leaving but this was our first time in the field with all of it so I was a little anxious. It went together smoothly and everyone was comfortable and happily enjoying the scenery. The chuck box I just finished was perfect and the hand-me-down Coleman added some nostalgia.

100_1044.jpg

After a good dinner and a decent nights sleep, we awoke to the wonders of the Canyon and set off on a short trip to the tip of Supai Point. All my 3 year old could mutter was "WHOA".

100_1051.jpg

Back at camp we enjoyed the quiet, read, talked, and took some naps. Even our little wiener dog enjoyed himself, he proved to be an excellent little camper much to my chagrin!

100_1071.jpg

At the return from our little hike the incoming weather became more apparent to me. I had a decision to make, stay another night and risk getting stuck with no recovery equipment with my family in tow or take off early and head towards home. I didn't want to risk another disastrous trip so I made the decision to set course for Hart Prairie, which is close to home, and stay the night there.

At first glance you'd think I was enjoying the sights but I'm really pondering the weather.

100_1079.jpg

With the clouds rolling in we packed up and set sail for Hart Prairie with enough time to spare to set up camp and catch the sunset.

100_1101.jpg

Hart Prairie is a popular location due to its easy access and beauty. It was especially apparent this weekend as there were hunters and campers everywhere. Our spot was excellent and I thought we'd picked it well but 20 minutes after our arrival the thumping sound of music seeped through the aspens like a chlorine cloud. I guess some folks will never appreciate the value of a beautiful site or the natural sounds of the wilderness. Since we already set up camp I succumbed to sailing away with Capt. Morgan to ease the pain in hopes that they would stop by bed time, thankfully they did and the remainder of the trip proved to be quite peaceful. I was sure to let my sometimes obnoxious child return the favor at 6:00 a.m. though. :)

This little adventure proved to be a huge success. My wife told me monday morning that she wanted to call in sick and go back out for the rest of the week and my daughter has been asking about camping ever since...nough said.

My goal was to keep the trip short enough as to not overwhelm them but long enough to get into a routine and really enjoy each other and the experience.

Mission accomplished, we're already planning for the upcoming weekend :coffeedrink:​

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
That spot you had looks like a good spot for pondering, weather or other things.

A camp with a great view and some inspired campers. What more can you ask for... :)

Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing! :)

... and a belated Welcome to ExPo!:wavey:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
  1. Came here because of the other thread about trip reports where you mentioned this report..
  2. Stayed because of the pictures and narrative.
  3. LOL'ed because of the sleeping dog picture!

100_1071.jpg

1-2-3 GREAT report!

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words. That little dog is quite a character, he's our little chocolate snoopy. My wife named him Diesel, making him a four legged oxymoron.

Great trip. As a new parent myself I look forward to sharing these same experiences.

I want to angle future reports in this fashion, there are a lot of young families here to share stories and ideas with. I've found the stories about kids learning experiences while traveling to be the most interesting and comical. For instance, my daughter learned how to "go number two" in the woods on this trip and at one point was cruisin' around in nothing but her drawers, purple crocs, and a smile because she "missed"! Trial and error is the primal teacher! I didn't post those photos to save her the embarrassment when she's 16 and dating another ExPo members son.

LTFJC

Observer
Looks like it was a great trip! I have the same task as you did with the whole trying to get the wife "into" camping. making a trip to the camping shop to get some desireables to make the upcoming trip as much of aa sucsess as yours was!!! thanks-

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
you are a very lucky man to be smart enough to ease the family into things and then hvae BOTH your wife & daughter into it.

My 2 sons are night & day, one loves camping the other only likes the campfire time but not much else. My wife is happy if we are on a solo trip but isn't much for group gatherings.

I really like the pic selection and the story that goes with them, great job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior