Family "Planning"?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Now... and I'm going to say this... and I'm sure people will jump all over me but... I researched how to do a tracheotomy.

Rob, I'm assuming you guys have an "EpiPen"?
Just after he was a year old, the Dr. said it as ok to introduce peanut butter, and pretty much all the "risky" foods.
Well, he had one little bite of some PB on toast, and he started getting read in the face. We tossed him in the tub right away and washed him (and my wife) all up to make sure there weren't any traces on him.
He didn't cough or sound like he was having trouble breathing, so we weren't too worried, but I know if he has any subsequent exposure, the reaction will be much worse.
So, we have an EpiPen, I can't remember the exact name, but it has 2 doses in it, so that will buy us about an extra 30 minutes before we have to get him to the hospital.

I'm curious about the tracheotomy now...
Wit the reaction, does the whole airway constrict all the way to the lungs, or just the portion in the throat?

Superu

Explorer
Just after he was a year old, the Dr. said it as ok to introduce peanut butter, and pretty much all the "risky" foods.
Well, he had one little bite of some PB on toast, and he started getting read in the face. We tossed him in the tub right away and washed him (and my wife) all up to make sure there weren't any traces on him.
He didn't cough or sound like he was having trouble breathing, so we weren't too worried, but I know if he has any subsequent exposure, the reaction will be much worse.
So, we have an EpiPen, I can't remember the exact name, but it has 2 doses in it, so that will buy us about an extra 30 minutes before we have to get him to the hospital.

Wit the reaction, does the whole airway constrict all the way to the lungs, or just the portion in the throat?

Our 10 yo has a severe nut allergy. If your child ever exhibits a reaction to food, please do not hesitate to call 911 immediately. Anaphylactic shock can kill rapidly by constricting the airway through a flood of histamines into the bloodstream.

Another thing to consider is SLIT (Allergy drops). Our son had been on Sublingual Immunotherapy for almost a year now and we are looking forward to see the results of his upcoming reactivity tests. Clinical results over the past 5 years have been very promising.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

Yup, sure do. They're only single dose, never heard of doubles. We try to bring two with us if we're going somewhere.

What happened in Phil's case, we were having humus for lunch, and gave him a little bit. He very quickly started this dry cough, just lightly. Not a big deal, but I thought it was odd, I was aware of the chick peas and sesame in the humus being possible allergens. (he'd eaten sesame bagels several times before with no issue? shrug). So, we watched him. About a minute later his lips started swelling up. We called a non-emergency medical tip line, and they said if he's not having trouble breathing, don't bother calling an ambulance, just get him some Benadryl. We didn't have any for kids. His face started swelling up as I left for the pharmacy. My wife watched him for signs of breathing trouble. By the time I got back, he looked like a Klingon. Gave him the Benadryl, and he returned to normal slowly after a few hours.

I'm not sure about your question about how far the airway gets blocked, and would like the answer to that myself. It might require intubation, I'm not sure. Like I said, it's an absolute last resort. There's a specific spot the cut has to be done, which I won't post for pansy-*** legal reasons.

alaskaboy

Observer
Typically, it is laryngeal edema that is the major constriction. All the airways can be sensitive to allergens thru Beta 1/Beta2/H1/H2 receptors, but usually only result in respiratory embarrassment without occlusion seen in the larynx. That is why a tracheotomy is successful. A good skill to know, but can be bloody mess which is quite alarming. Watch out for the relatively short half life of Epi pens.

I hate to say it, but kids often lead to abandoment of true expedition traveling to a more RV lifestyle. My 3 kids go wild when I call home and say I'm on the way and they pile into the class C with every stuffed animal they own. The plumbing on the underside of my rig has a very limited lifespan where we camp in Alaska. I am undergoing a very long and extensive search for a more suitable rig. Unicat is not in the cards and am looking at class8 conversion.

cheers.

By the time I got back, he looked like a Klingon. Gave him the Benadryl, and he returned to normal slowly after a few hours.

Haha. I can relate to that as well. My only allergens have been poison ivy and some insect stings.

When I was 7 or 8 I got stung between the eyes by a hornet. I was actually climbing on my adjustable basketball goal and at the top... The hornet came out of one of the tubes and zapped me. I fell off the basketball goal (8ft or so) all the while slapping at my face. I ended up busting my lip and giving myself a nose bleed... Next few hours sucked because my face swole up and I looked like a little Mongolian kid! No joke! At least I was able to play hookey from school the next day!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
we MUST have our man time....I think thats why alot of guys end up fighting with their girlfriends/wifes....

we must have time away...to reflect on how much we love our women....(at least thats a good line to tell them...we really just wanna watch tv without the "whatcha thinkin about??"..."are you mad at me??"....crap):elkgrin:

my wife understands the fact I must escape to the garage...heck...I can escape to the garage with the ENTIRE family in tow...but I must see the garage and fiddle/work....its my sanctuary...(like the hunchback of notre dame!!).....

and I reciprocate....I often offer to watch the kids while she go shopping for herself..or even just an errand that would take and hour with the kids...takes 30min alone...30min of blissfull silence....

Ive even just handed her cash and told her I will see her in a few hours..and get out...but COME BACK!!!:Wow1:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
A good skill to know, but can be bloody mess which is quite alarming.

Assuming you don't cut a major vein by accident, how bad is the blood, and does it stop by itself? I don't have a problem with blood, just more worried about "well, he can breath, but now he's bleeding to death."

we MUST have our man time....I think thats why alot of guys end up fighting with their girlfriends/wifes....

Yup. The garage is my "man cave". :D

Actually, I wish I could have my boy out there with me more, but at 4, he's still to young when I'm working with metal. Just the other night though, I did suit him up and let him watch me do some grinding and cutting.

Yup. The garage is my "man cave". :D

Actually, I wish I could have my boy out there with me more, but at 4, he's still to young when I'm working with metal. Just the other night though, I did suit him up and let him watch me do some grinding and cutting.

Youngin has her spot in the garage. I make her go inside if I'm welding though.

alaskaboy

Observer
Assuming you don't cut a major vein by accident, how bad is the blood, and does it stop by itself? I don't have a problem with blood, just more worried about "well, he can breath, but now he's bleeding to death."

Please don't take this as medical advice as I am no authority...

but, the cricothyroid membrane is partially covered by the thyroid which is well supplied with arteries and veins. Blood loss probably won't be life threatening, but by definition this is a non-elective event without your hemostats and cautery handy. As you know, a little blood goes a long way (especially when white clothes are involved). It'll be spewing out the tracheostomy with the newly created airway until you get a tube of some sort in. It is really irrelevant if someone cannot breath. Pray that it is never neccessary.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Never seen Anaconda??

No, I try not to watch movies with unbelievably large snakes that somehow move like lightning... :rolleyes:
I have caught parts of that flick, but I haven't felt the need to waste an hour and a half of my life on that one just yet... lol

Rob, tonight I'll look at the name of that 2 dose EpiPen, adn let you know. And we always have a little bottle of Benadryl in his diaper bag, so we're sort of covered on the emergency meds for him.

And regarding man time in the man cave... I have had my XJ parked in the middle of our 2 car garage for the last 2.5 years in the midst of getting a suspension lift installed. And when I say "parked", what I really mean is diassembled and sitting on jack stands. My wife has been mostly understanding, and that's saying something when she doesn't have a garage to park in during our 6-month long winte, with temps. getting down to -46C.
I think I'll keep her around. ;)

I will have to post that pic. of my son in his Halloween pumpkin costume trying to play with the jack under my Durango. He'll be a good little helper in a few years. :D

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
And regarding man time in the man cave... I have had my XJ parked in the middle of our 2 car garage for the last 2.5 years in the midst of getting a suspension lift installed. And when I say "parked", what I really mean is diassembled and sitting on jack stands. My wife has been mostly understanding, and that's saying something when she doesn't have a garage to park in during our 6-month long winte, with temps. getting down to -46C.
I think I'll keep her around. ;)

I will have to post that pic. of my son in his Halloween pumpkin costume trying to play with the jack under my Durango. He'll be a good little helper in a few years. :D

Yep, we've owned a house for 9 years now, and my wife has never been able to park in the garage. My truck has been laid up since October getting a new rear bumper which, as always, has taken WAY too long! Last year it was the trailer. Before that, my trackday car. My trackday car now suffers, stored out in the cold on the side of the garage.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Yup, sure do. They're only single dose, never heard of doubles. We try to bring two with us if we're going somewhere.

I forgot to take a look at his EpiPen last night, so I emailed my wife, it's called a Twinject -- I'm asuming that is the proprietary name for it...

Might be something to look into for your boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz