Family of 5 trying to figure things out.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Did you rig bunk beds for the kids?
I’ve been eyeing the aliner with the added dormers the hard side / all weather capabilities is very attractive vs our tent on a trailer. Especially after our mild Moab wind storm that we just managed to barely avoid tent damage.

calicamper,

No bunk beds, the boys are just short enough to fit on the full bed with a plastic bin dividing them. I am thinking about a bunk setup when my 8 month old gets bigger and I need space for one more kid bed.

Hard sided pop ups are awesome. If I could build an ideal one it would be a Chalet frame and axles and A-Liner top. Anyway. I never had to worry about wind, sand storms, rain, hail or snow with ours.

Good luck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
calicamper,

No bunk beds, the boys are just short enough to fit on the full bed with a plastic bin dividing them. I am thinking about a bunk setup when my 8 month old gets bigger and I need space for one more kid bed.

Hard sided pop ups are awesome. If I could build an ideal one it would be a Chalet frame and axles and A-Liner top. Anyway. I never had to worry about wind, sand storms, rain, hail or snow with ours.

Good luck.
If you sort out kid bunks be sure to post it. I feel like all RV companies are run by childless retirees. I’m packing a folding cot in my car as I write this. One night hotel stay everyone is wayyyy happier when my 8yr old sleeps in his own space/bunk ?

snowfiend

If you sort out kid bunks be sure to post it. I feel like all RV companies are run by childless retirees. I’m packing a folding cot in my car as I write this. One night hotel stay everyone is wayyyy happier when my 8yr old sleeps in his own space/bunk ?
I feel your pain. We stayed in a hotel room with two queens and no rollaway option so I slept with the 5yo and my wife with the 2yo (almost 3). It was the worst night sleep of our lives, I don't know how people who co-sleep do it. I threatened to bring the camping pads and put them on the ground next time.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey

calicamper,

Thats funny, but so true. I have two Regalo My Cot cots for my kids, I usually put them in the truck in the spring and take them out when I put my winter ski gear in the roof box early winter. Along with two kids penguin sleeping bags they have saved us so much trouble both in hotel rooms as well as tent camping.

I will post the sleeping arrangements for three kids in the A-frame pop up in the spring when we get it out on our first adventure.

billiebob

Ok. We are still looking over everything and trying to figure this stuff out. Unfortunately we do not have anyone else we know personally that overlands and the local scene is just a start up that we haven’t yet been able to connect with. Heres what I am wondering... can a family of 5 do this in a Tacoma prerunner double cab? What would the sleeping arrangements need to be, who makes tents/campers for families of 5? Would we have to use a trailer? We are wanting to do remote camping on BLM land and such near national parks for the next few years. Do trails in places like capital reef and remote camp. Is the vehicle a realistic option both for size and for its lack of 4wd. I believe since it is a trd with rear locker it can do most all we would want but can it also accommodate a family of 5? What has been your experience with this? Any other large families out there doing family road trips with a similar vehicle? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I'd have to ask how long would you set up in one place. If you stay a week then the setup, packup is not an issue. But if you are moving camp several times a week a trailer starts to look pretty nice. The Tacoma could likely carry all the tents and camping gear but the cab might be tight with 5 people, even if 3 are little. Plus it is pretty easy to exceed the capacity once you add up all the weight. I'd recommend a full size even a 3/4 ton for a growing family. An F250 might even get better gas mileage than an overloaded Tacoma.

oh crap, thread is a year old

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I feel your pain. We stayed in a hotel room with two queens and no rollaway option so I slept with the 5yo and my wife with the 2yo (almost 3). It was the worst night sleep of our lives, I don't know how people who co-sleep do it. I threatened to bring the camping pads and put them on the ground next time.
Yeah only made that mistake once. Same here lousy nights sleep on a one day ski trip. Fri night crash at local hotel, ski Saturday then go home. I shared a bed with my 7 yr old. Disaster. Doubt I slept an hour. Now we haul the Heavy folding cot on these trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles