Family Mosquito Control

May be a little more appropriate in the gear section but wanted input from those who have researched options for kid friendly bug control.

The bugs have arrived over the last few weeks and while the toddler doesn't seem to mind it is driving my wife ad I crazy. We were having good luck with Repel Plant-based spray and there is always deet but we all hate using bug spray. Do any of ya'll have experience with other solutions like bracelets, necklaces, or thermacell?

Mostly looking for a solution that works while hiking but also interested in stationary options for base camp.

gatorgrizz27

Thermacells work very well in a stationary environment. They don’t do much if you’re moving. I’ve found while hiking if you maintain a decent pace the mosquitoes aren’t bad. It’s when you pause to mess with something or take a break that they come swarm you.

GHI

Adventurer
I hike where there is an abundance of mosquitoes, ticks, no see-ums etc. I spray permethrin on all my clothes/gear once or twice a season. This includes socks, hat, backpack and even handkerchief for the neck.

I have zero issues with bugs. It can get pricey depending on how much clothing you are treating, but well worth it. They advertise it lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings.

In camp we use a thermacell if it’s not windy. If power is available we’ll turn on a fan in the area we are hanging out at. Looks goofy, but keeps the bugs away.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's what I use in lieu of Deet. Mosquitoes love me and my late father. My sister and mom never have an issue. Same family. It happens all the time. I'm lucky to live in San Diego as it's nearly bug free,but when we travel to the real world..sucks.

Explorerinil

Observer
Thermacells work very well in a stationary environment. They don’t do much if you’re moving. I’ve found while hiking if you maintain a decent pace the mosquitoes aren’t bad. It’s when you pause to mess with something or take a break that they come swarm you.
I hunted hogs in a swamp in Florida with a thermacell strapped to my belt and never got bit, they work.

I hike where there is an abundance of mosquitoes, ticks, no see-ums etc. I spray permethrin on all my clothes/gear once or twice a season. This includes socks, hat, backpack and even handkerchief for the neck.

I have zero issues with bugs. It can get pricey depending on how much clothing you are treating, but well worth it. They advertise it lasts 6 weeks or 6 washings.

In camp we use a thermacell if it’s not windy. If power is available we’ll turn on a fan in the area we are hanging out at. Looks goofy, but keeps the bugs away.

Interesting, never would have considered permethrin a repellent (and wasn't aware it came in a spray). I think I'll pick some up and treat a few items of clothing to try out. May do the same with deet and compare.

Glad to hear ya'll are having good luck with the thermacell. I think it may be helpful with us even while hiking because mostly letting the kiddo toddle along the trails which results in a creeping pace and frequent stops to examine everything.

D

Deleted member 9101

As someone whose State bird is the mosquito, this is what I do:

1. Deet, lots of deet on your skin
2. Permethrin sprayed on your clothes before hand (needs to be 100% dry before wearing, it's a nasty neurotoxin that can easily be absorbed through the skin while it's wet)
3. Off outdoor yard fogger, spray the area where you'll be hanging out (it's in a spray can, works really well)
4. If you are sitting still, use a fan (mosquitos can't fly all that well, air movement ruins their plans)
5. Avoid tall grass (adult mosquitos live there)
6. Stop flirting with female mosquitoes, they are the one's that bite.

D

Deleted member 9101

Interesting, never would have considered permethrin a repellent (and wasn't aware it came in a spray). I think I'll pick some up and treat a few items of clothing to try out. May do the same with deet and compare.

Permethrin works really well against insects that crawl on you, especially ticks... It's not nearly as effective against the ones that land on you.

Alloy

OFF or Repel that have lemon eucalyptus extract. It needs to be re-applied often and doesn't work on ticks.

Permetherin (different sources) we use it on pants and socks. It DOES NOT get applied to skin.

CarePlus - 20% Icaridin. I spray it on my shirt (hoodie), hat and then put some on my hands, face and neck. Last 6-7 hours on a hike

Icaridin (Picaridin)
  • Icaridin works as well as DEET in repelling insects when used at the same concentrations and is approved for use up to 20%.
  • Icaridin is odourless and does not feel sticky or greasy.
  • It is less likely to cause skin irritation than DEET.
  • It does not damage synthetic fabrics or plastics.
Using icaridin on children:
  • Icaridin is the preferred repellent for use on children age 6 months and older.
  • Children age 6 months or older may use up to 20% icaridin.
While hiking but I found keeping the speed above 3mph works good.

...and mosquito hoods/jackets

That's what I use in lieu of Deet. Mosquitoes love me and my late father. My sister and mom never have an issue. Same family. It happens all the time. I'm lucky to live in San Diego as it's nearly bug free,but when we travel to the real world..sucks.

What area in San Diego do you live? We live in San Diego and the mosquitoes suck, well at least for my wife. Hanging in the backyard she will have the necklace fan, spray and a thermacell going and she still gets bit. Me sitting next to her gets 1 or 2. We still haven't found a good solution for her.

Permethrin works really well against insects that crawl on you, especially ticks... It's not nearly as effective against the ones that land on you.

Was thinking about the mechanism of permethrin and this is exactly what I was thinking. However, thinking it will be a great tool for when ticks are a big concern. I've always been pretty tolerant of bugs crawling on me and ignored it for the most part. Probably why so much of this is new to me.

In hind sight probably should have re-evaluated this strategy a while ago after a round of rocky mountain spotted fever, getting a tick bite induced allergy to red meat a few years ago and still itching from some chigger bites last weekend haha.

This can not be stresses enough.

While I don't recommend routine use of permethrin on skin it is not inherently harmful and is routinely used for treatment of parasitic infections (lice & scabies)in humans. Not saying your wrong just don't want people to have undue concern about it getting on their skin.

D

Deleted member 9101

Was thinking about the mechanism of permethrin and this is exactly what I was thinking. However, thinking it will be a great tool for when ticks are a big concern. I've always been pretty tolerant of bugs crawling on me and ignored it for the most part. Probably why so much of this is new to me.

In hind sight probably should have re-evaluated this strategy a while ago after a round of rocky mountain spotted fever, getting a tick bite induced allergy to red meat a few years ago and still itching from some chigger bites last weekend haha.

While I don't recommend routine use of permethrin on skin it is not inherently harmful and is routinely used for treatment of parasitic infections (lice & scabies)in humans. Not saying your wrong just don't want people to have undue concern about it getting on their skin.

When permethrin is used topically it's a different dose whan when it's used as a pesticide/repellant.

The permethrin you buy at Bass Pro Shops to put on your pants is not in any way to be used like the cream you get from a pharmacy...lol.

Also, the DOA and DOD released a study about 25 years ago showing that wearing permethrin treated uniforms and applying DEET to exposed skin resulted in 100% protection from biting insects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles