Family Mosquito Control

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
When my wife and I went to Alaska two years ago we had a good system and it kept us mosquito free.
We would park , I will get out set up the thermocells. I would also light a couple of mosquito coils.
Then I would spray down the area around our campsite with yard guard.
Apply some insect repellent for the skeeters that got through the perimeter.
We never had evening where we were miserable or even bothered

When permethrin is used topically it's a different dose whan when it's used as a pesticide/repellant.

The permethrin you buy at Bass Pro Shops to put on your pants is not in any way to be used like the cream you get from a pharmacy...lol.

Also, the DOA and DOD released a study about 25 years ago showing that wearing permethrin treated uniforms and applying DEET to exposed skin resulted in 100% protection from biting insects.

Agreed. The permethrin sprays marketed for insect control is typically 0.5%, the stuff used to treat lice is 1% and the stuff used to treat scabies is 5%. I'm not suggesting permethrin marketed for insect control/repellent be used to treat parasitic infections. There is just a lot of people scared of "chemicals" and I just want people understand it's relatively harmless if during appropriate use it gets on your skin.

The article you shared was super helpful. Great to know for those really buggy days after a hurricane drops 3-5" of rain haha.

When my wife and I went to Alaska two years ago we had a good system and it kept us mosquito free.
We would park , I will get out set up the thermocells. I would also light a couple of mosquito coils.
Then I would spray down the area around our campsite with yard guard.
Apply some insect repellent for the skeeters that got through the perimeter.
We never had evening where we were miserable or even bothered

Impressive commitment! I've heard the mosquitos can get brutal up there. Buying a thermacel now to augment the mosquito coils for our next trip down to the river.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What area in San Diego do you live? We live in San Diego and the mosquitoes suck, well at least for my wife. Hanging in the backyard she will have the necklace fan, spray and a thermacell going and she still gets bit. Me sitting next to her gets 1 or 2. We still haven't found a good solution for her.
I'm in San Diego also...Mt. Soledad. I have them around me as well. They're only by my garage and back door (opposite sides of the house) which I think is strange. Not large quantities of them but maybe a dozen flying around. They also bite my ankles and nowhere else which I also think is strange.

dstefan

The company InsectShield, which treats all of the insect repellent clothing, you buy at REI and other places, will sell you a bag or two or three (they’re cheaper in multiples, but not exactly cheap) which you can stuff with as many clothes as you can fit. We had good luck fitting a tremendous amount of clothing in a couple of their bags. They claim that the treatment, which is permethrin, but also has some other fixing agent will last for up to 70 washes. I can’t verify this, but in conjunction with spray permethrin on our socks and shoes and hats, we didn’t have any problems with bugs in Minnesota.

I also can’t verify this, but I have read that the Thermacell vapor is also somewhat neurotoxic and they do warn about its disposal. You might want to research that a little bit if you use it around young children.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles