Family Hauler Overland: Jeep vs Nissan

Tero97acb

Hi folks. If any of you make it over to the Mitsubishi section of this forum you’ll see I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Montero. While there are some things about it I wish they’d done differently when they made this vehicle, it’s probably my favorite I’ve owned to date. It’s incredibly capable, even without the factory lockers, spacious enough for an interior sleeping platform, and I have a roof rack that’s nearly the entire footprint of the vehicle that is so incredibly handy and attractive. Because of the MPGs, or lack of them, it’s not my daily driver. I have a Mazda CX-5 for transporting my work gear and myself around Southern California (25/30 mpg).
We found out in late December we have a kid on the way and have come to the conclusion the Montero (aka the extra car) needs to go and a modern 3-row family car needs to replace our sedan. Both for the lack of time I’ll have to maintain the Montero and the added value of a guest parking space to our 3 car driveway we decided to make a change. So now that it’s nearly time to list the Montero for sale I’m presented with the challenge of finding a newer vehicle that checks a lot of boxes, but importantly, for myself at least, needs to be able to take us on adventures and out to camp sites every now and then. Ideally I’d like to not put a platform in a newer car and just be able to buy a luno mattress for camping in-vehicle.
I’ve narrowed it down to the new Nissan Pathfinder, specifically the Rock Creek edition that’s yet to come out, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee L. I’m specifically comparing the Nissan trim levels SL and Rock Creek, to the Jeep trim levels Laredo and Overland. You get more features for the same money on the Pathfinder, some of which are deleted on the Rock Creek model. Both essentially have an AWD system with no low range (at these trim levels) on a unibody platform. Nissan’s FWD to the Jeeps RWD. All of the car journalists of course drive the Overland trim of the Jeep with the air suspension and Jeeps quadratrac 2-3 system, and of course they think it’s better than a Nissan by leaps and bounds. The interior and features are also more comparable with a BMW at this point. The RC pathfinder is essentially the same underneath but comes with AT tires, wheels almost like the Frontier Midnight edition which are some of my favorite wheels on a stock truck, and a sturdy flat tubular roof rack while keeping the 21/27 mpg rating vs the Jeeps 18/26
Basically, I’m wondering whether at the Limited trim level and below, the Jeep is still the off-road capable jewel of a modern station wagon or minivan they hail it as, or whether I’m going to be in the same boat as with the Nissan? With the appearance of capability, but actually far less than advertised. I, of course, would also have the drop the $$$$ on tires and a roof rack for the jeep to give it the same features as the Rock Creek Nissan as it comes with nothing off-roady on the Limited (aka the Soccer mom trim). Only considering those trims on account of the fact that the trim levels higher than that cost more than the down payment I put on my house. Curious to hear thoughts From those who’ve driven Jeeps and Nissans offroad, and modified them for camping as I’ve owned neither brand before. All my tools are metric.

JakeH

Adventurer
Some may disagree, but I think the Nissan build quality would be preferable to the Jeep. Are you specifically looking for a unibody? The Subaru big body comes to mind. There are other great family haulers out there... But most are body on frame and get terrible MPG

SkiWill

I would argue that until you reach the 3 kid threshold, a three row SUV is not really necessary. I say this with three kids. Unless you're planning on additional kids, find a used 2 row WK Grand Cherokee with proper low range transfer case which would still be a significant mileage and safety upgrade from the Montero. If you are planning more kids, from what I recall, the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L has a car seat safe tilt feature that allows you to tilt the seat forward with certain configurations of car seats like forward facing (after 2) or the infant base without the actual car seat that clicks into it, and access the 3rd row. If I were throwing down money on a new 3 row SUV and planning for additional kids in the future, I wouldn't buy anything without this feature. The Nissan may or may not have it.

billiebob

I love Jeeps with solid axles. Otherwise I love anything Asian. An AWD unibody, I'd only consider the Japanese/Korean manufacturers. Warranty and service would be my only consideration with a family. 40 years ago we were Honda fans, today Subaru for my wife. I've always had a solid axle 4x4. F250, K2500, M36, CJ5, YJ, LJ, TJR twice.

But if mileage and ride are more important than the bullet proof Wrangler driveline.... focus on the Asian manufacturers.

Tero97acb

Thanks for your opinions so far. If I could afford it, I’d think I’d spring for the new Sequoia or wait to see what new powertrain options they come up with for the GX and the 4Runner, but I really like the Nissan even if it’s pretty simple by comparison and may not ever get the aftermarket support the Jeeps get.

Since someone mentioned it, we’re looking for 3 rows because we plan on having another kid and we have two dogs we bring with us on our adventures. When their Dog carrier is in the car it takes up a whole row. I’ve considered a truck with a camper shell for this purpose but my wife worries about them not having access to the air conditioned cabin in SoCal heat.

Last edited:

autism family travels

I would throw in a suburban for a family hauler as well. LOTS of space, decent on gas as well from the z71 I owned, comfortable (size), and capable off pavement. I would love to own another z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior