family expedition trailer build

TexasD-90

Adventurer
I have been reading about all the trailer builds on the forum for a while now, and I am finally ready to build mine. I am starting from scratch. I will have a 4x6 box with a 6 inch tall top on it. The inside will be for storage, and there will be a RTT mounted on top. The tent will open to the passenger side, and I am building a chuck box/kitchen on the drivers side. There will be water, propane and ice chest on the front. The tailgate will also fold down flat with the bed and double as a table. It will also have a lock and roll hitch. I have the metal ready to pick up, and have a few questions on some other things.

1. the tow vehicle is a defender 90. Where can I get an axle that will be the same width and have the same bolt pattern?

2. What springs should I use? I have a set of HD coil springs, and OME shocks I could use, but wonder if leaf springs would be better.

Thanks for the help, and I will post pictures as soon as I get started on Friday.

Martin

teotwaki

Excelsior!
For the axle you could get the Dexter brand. Check out their online site and then order direct or local as needed. A parking brake and possibly electric brakes would be nice.

I don't know your bolt pattern so you might have to get a brake hub that is close and then get some adapter plates. Factor the extra plate width into your total desired axle width, hopefully the same as your Defender's rear axle.

loren85022

Explorer
Not that matters, but most US builds have the kitchen opposite the driver side. The Aussies have their kitchens on our driver side usually. Good luck!

XJBANKER

Explorer
Not that matters, but most US builds have the kitchen opposite the driver side. The Aussies have their kitchens on our driver side usually. Good luck!

My Conqueror Compact from South Africa has the kitchen on the passenger side. It is nice for if you stop for lunch on the side of the road, you are not standing out into traffic.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
trailer1.jpgtrailer5.jpgtrailer7.jpgtrailer4.jpgtrailer3.jpg

Got started today! The top and bottom frame are 2.5 square. The uprights are 1.5 square. The tounge is 2.5 x .25 square. I ordered a custom axle today that is 57 inces hub face to hub face. There will then be 2 inch hub adapters to get the bolt pattern I need to match the defender. I also ordered steel wheels and a max coupler. Maybe I'll get to work on it again in the next few days.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
Well, I got the top built and started working on my hinge today. I am hinging it at the front for several reasons. On the passenger side the kitchen will slide out of the front of the trailer, and there will be a table top that will mount over the passenger wheel well to give you a nice work station for cooking. Some day there will be a roof top tent that will open to the drivers side, so I decided hinging the top in the front would be best. Next I need to figure out the tailgate, kitchen slide, and get the springs and axle installed.

I am debating if I should just tack weld all the sheet metal on, or drill holes in it and spot weld it. Is one way better than the other as far as warping the sheet metal??

Also, I found a set of stock YJ springs on craigslist, and the guy said he would sell just the rears. My question on this is: aren't YJ springs underslung on the axle? If so, is mounting them over the axle on my trailer going to be a problem?

I also need a set of 45 inch heavy duty slides to put my kitchen on.... any suggestions??

trailer13.jpgtrailer9.jpgtrailer10.jpgtrailer12.jpgtrailer11.jpgtrailer8.jpg

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Also, I found a set of stock YJ springs on craigslist, and the guy said he would sell just the rears. My question on this is: aren't YJ springs underslung on the axle? If so, is mounting them over the axle on my trailer going to be a problem?

I also need a set of 45 inch heavy duty slides to put my kitchen on.... any suggestions??

In regards to the slides, if you're looking at something in the range of 200+ pounds, they're probably going to be a bit pricey, especially extending to nearly 4 feet...

As for the leaf springs, guys do spring-over swaps on Jeeps all the time and it doesn't change the load rating of the spring. They get some handling issues, but that's got nothing to do with the spring, it's all the steering and rest of the suspension components having wacky geometry.
Basically you'll be fine.

I'll be watching your build with interest. :D

TexasD-90

Adventurer
Well, still making a little progress. I got the sheet metal on the top, and the floor, and the front and one side. Also tacked on the spring hangers. I picked up a set of stock YJ front springs off of craigslist for $30. Since they are stock hight springs, I am using some custom spring hangers and shackles that will make the ride hight the same as the defender. I also got me wheels and tires mounted, they will also match the defender. It is starting to look like a trailer. I took the lid off to weld it all up and get it ready for paint. Still have to figure out my kitchen, and I'm waiting on hub adapters and max coupler. The picture with the tire is not accurate. The frame of the trailer will be about 11" higher than it is in the picture.trailer14.jpgtrailer16.jpgtrailer15.jpg

TexasD-90

Adventurer
today I made some progress. Got the axle and springs mounted, got the tailgate built and mounted, installed spring loaded latches on tailgate, installed receiver hitch on draw bar (max coupler should be here tomorrow), and finished up some welding and grinding. My hub adapters should be in the middle of next week, and I am also waiting on some gas struts. I have decided that the front section of the trailer WILL be a slide out on the passenger side for the kitchen. It will have the stove, water and some drawers and cabinets for all things kitchen!!

TexasD-90

Adventurer
trailer22.jpgtrailer23.jpgtrailer17.jpgtrailer19.jpgtrailer18.jpgtrailer20.jpgtrailer21.jpgA few updates. Got the hub adapters and the max coupler. Took the tailer for a test drive to make sure everything was right before I welded all the spring hangers solid. Everything was perfect. The trailer pulls great, and I really can't even tell its back there. Of course there is still a lot of weight to be added. I welded the spring hangers solid, and started to tack up the fenders. My fenders will run the length of the trailer so they can be used as a step, and also to mount things to later. There is also a platform on the front for water storage and such. I will be ready for paint in a few days hopefully, and then it will be on to the kitchen pull out.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
I have a question.... I am wanting to put a deep cycle battery in the trailer to run small things (coffee pot, small water pump, etc.). I don't know anything about setting that up properly. I want the tow vehicle to charge the batteries, and I want to have 2 plugs, and 2 cigarette lighter outlets. What all do I need? How do I set it up? It will all be in a sealed box on the front of the trailer.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a question.... I am wanting to put a deep cycle battery in the trailer to run small things (coffee pot, small water pump, etc.). I don't know anything about setting that up properly. I want the tow vehicle to charge the batteries, and I want to have 2 plugs, and 2 cigarette lighter outlets. What all do I need? How do I set it up? It will all be in a sealed box on the front of the trailer.

Nice build!

Anything associated with heat (coffee pot) uses a lot of power. I would consider a French press for your coffee needs, good coffee, fast, and with less mess. Try to run everything off 12V if you can, less cost, more efficient, and one less problem to worry about.

A 7 pin trailer plug will provide charging capabilities to the trailer battery. Fuse it and run a diode or relay to prevent back feed or if you can remember to unplug it when stopped a diode or relay is not needed. If you go straight 12v, everything will fit into a plastic battery box. Bring along a 300w 110V inverter that will plug into your 12v outlet to charge small batteries, laptop, or small appliance when needed.

I have a couple question on your trailer -
When did you source the hub adapters?
What is your expected dry weight of your trailer?

Im surprised with your skills you did not make your max coupler.
For slides take a look at WEATHER GUARD® PACK RAT® Drawer Units for an idea. They us a 48" slide system rated at 425#. Pack Rat is designed to open evey day, all day long.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
Not sure on the dry weight yet. I think it will be under 1000 though. I have a truck scale here at my shop, so I will weigh it as soon as it is finished. Martyn at Adventure Trailers sourced the hub adapters for me. They came out of California. They were $275, and I think they are very well built, and it is worth it to me to have the wheels all match up from the truck to the trailer. It will sure be handy in the event of a flat.

I will try to get more pictures up soon. I have the fenders complete, and everything welded solid. The box is on the front, and all the tie down points are welded inside. I am waiting on some latches and gas struts from McMaster to come in, so this weekend I will be building my slide out kitchen. Getting excited about closing in on the finished product. I am running out of time. We leave for a 3 week camping trip on August 2. I better get to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior