Family Basecamp Build

chardur

I started my build thinking I would just do a typical m416 with a roof top tent style build. I wanted it to be able to go anywhere my jeep could, no sacrifices to the offroading ability. I started looking for a roof top tent that would fit me, my wife and our two young children. I eventually came to the conclusion that a roof top tent would not fit our needs. The thought of taking my children up and down the ladder several times a night to use the bathroom and the lack of space were the major issues. I had already purchased an m416 trailer (frame only) so I then started looking at popup tent trailers. I wanted the smallest one I could find to try and match the dimensions of the m416 frame, to keep it off-road worthy. After some googling, I found a company that made smaller popup trailers in the 60's and 70's, Apache. I was interested specifically in the Eagle model, it was a little big at 5ft by 7ft, but seemed to be a good match for the m416 frame, plus the body was made of aluminum to keep weight down. Anyway, here are some pictures of my progress from this unusual combination of trailers:

Here is the eagle, the previous owner decided to add larger tires with out lifitng the trailer, the wheel rubbed on the wheel well causing a fire.
eagle-side.jpg

eagle-fire.jpg

I painted the inside of the body with white krylon and did the floor with 3/4 in plywood coated with rustoleum bedliner to seal it.
progress3.jpg

progress-body1.jpg

progress-frame1.jpg

progress-frame&body2.jpg

progress-frame&body.jpg

Here is some pics of the new canvas and the inside of the trailer
progress-tent2.jpg

progress-tent15.jpg

progress-tent4-lighter.jpg

progress-tent6-lighter.jpg

progress-tent8-lighter.jpg

progress-tent10-lighter.jpg

progress-tent12-lighter.jpg

progress-top.jpg

I still need to build wheel wells, a kitchen, and figure out a way to extend the bed legs.

Here is a quick price list so far:
Eagle trailer- $100 (ksl classifieds)
M416 Frame- $200 (ksl classifieds)
New Eagle canvas- $670 (Gregorys)
Two 4x8 3/4 inch plywood- $80 (HD)
1 Gal Rustoleum bedliner- $60 (autozone)
Three cans of krylon white- $15 (HD)
Two boxes of screws- $10 (HD)

Total- $1135
Probably will spend several hundred more for remaining work

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
Chardur, that is a going to be a great little trailer when you are done with it. Very good ideas, well done. I came to the same conclusion regarding the type of trailer we need with 3 little ones and am looking to make something similar. How are you making the kitchen? And are you going to have an awning off the back for some covered outdoor space?

If anyone knows where I can source some of that twin track alum' profile I'd sure like to know!!!! I got told it doesn't exist but it obviously existed 30 years ago. :)

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
We have a Apache Ramada that we are planning to use next summer. It's neat trailer with the hard sided "pop up" but way to big to use off road.

I like that setup and may try to use something similar on a trailer I intend to build this winter.

FWIW I'm in the same boat in that a regular roof top tent won't work for my family.

chardur

Chardur, that is a going to be a great little trailer when you are done with it. Very good ideas, well done. I came to the same conclusion regarding the type of trailer we need with 3 little ones and am looking to make something similar. How are you making the kitchen? And are you going to have an awning off the back for some covered outdoor space?

If anyone knows where I can source some of that twin track alum' profile I'd sure like to know!!!! I got told it doesn't exist but it obviously existed 30 years ago. :)

Here is a rough sketch of what Im thinking for the kitchen
progress-kitchenidea.jpg

The canvas place I used does have an zip on awning for the trailer. I intend to get one as soon as I have the cash.

97tjguzzy- The name of the canvas shop is Gregory's Canvas Products Phone 810-664-3520, they dont have a website, I found their number on an Apache camper forum (apachepopups.net).

KLAKEBRONCO- I think the hardsided apaches are very cool. Apache made some quality trailers over the years, most are in better condition that the new stuff trailer companies are pumping out.

Thanks for the feedback guys

RockRacer

Very cool Durf! Thanks for adding the cost info. Basically I think it's reasonable enough to copy you one day. :sombrero:

Maybe I am just not familiar with tent trailers or I missed it, but why did you have to add the canvas? Was the stock tent roof just too far gone? If so, would it have been cheaper to simply buy one in better condition?

chardur

Very cool Durf! Thanks for adding the cost info. Basically I think it's reasonable enough to copy you one day. :sombrero:

Maybe I am just not familiar with tent trailers or I missed it, but why did you have to add the canvas? Was the stock tent roof just too far gone? If so, would it have been cheaper to simply buy one in better condition?

Thanks tobin!
Yeah the previous canvas went up in smoke with the previous owner.

You might save some cash buying one in better condition, I think it might be a wash...check this out:

Durf pays $100 for beater camper, then $670 for new canvas= $770
(my new canvas should last for several years)

Tobin pays $600 for camper in good condition= $600 saving $170.
(how long will the old canvas hold up?)

If you can get one in good condition for cheap you could save some cash, but its a gamble on the old canvas.

RockRacer

Durf pays $100 for beater camper, then $670 for new canvas= $770
(my new canvas should last for several years)

Tobin pays $600 for camper in good condition= $600 saving $170.
(how long will the old canvas hold up?)

If you can get one in good condition for cheap you could save some cash, but its a gamble on the old canvas.
Ha-ha!

Well you have a good point.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I love it!!

Bend up some metal fender wells and your in.

The new canvas came out great...excellent workmanship whoever did it!:smiley_drive:

Pat

karoja

Adventurer
Nice trailer, but looks tail-heavy. You definitely will need to have some weight in front of the axle. Not sure the water tank will do, as you will use it up over time.

chardur

Nice trailer, but looks tail-heavy. You definitely will need to have some weight in front of the axle. Not sure the water tank will do, as you will use it up over time.

Thanks for the comment, I had considered this. I was planning on mounting the spare tire and propane upfront to help balance it out. If this does not prove to be enough I guess I can always stop and fill the water tank on the way home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles