Fall is Near...A Wyoming Excursion

mph

Expedition Leader
Fall is in the air and the leaves are starting to turn in the high country. We decided to head north to our neighboring state of Wyoming to explore the Grey's River area. The area is comprised of mountains, rivers, and endless backcountry possibilities. it's truly a gem of Wyoming!

We pulled in late at night to our campspot...Not sure what our surroundings were like. The morning dawned...Looked like we had a nice spot. View from camp.

river 14.jpg

After packing up, we headed further north into the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Our eyes spotted this natural spring shooting out of the rock and cascading to the East Fork of the Hams River. Louise throwing in a line...

river 15.jpg

Further and further into the forest we went...we fished along the way. A little man made fishing hole caught our eye.

river 16.jpg

Our eyes spotted an awesome site...

river 13.jpg

We enjoyed the evening and watched the light show off the mountains.

river 12.jpg

river 17.jpg

The following morning was stellar. The air was crisp and cool. Our friends had made it in to our site the previous evening. We were all waiting for water to warm. Coffee please!

river 11.jpg

Our friends rallying to find the next fishing hole.

river 9.jpg

Lilly approving of the day's events.

river 1.jpg

Louise cutting up the 8 lb. watermelon she bought. It was a hit and tasted great.

river 10.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
The past few days were looking for fish...either off the Grey's River Road or hiking to Alpine Lakes. It's glorious country!

Another epic morning!

river 8.jpg

Even the dogs were having fun...

river 7.jpg

Our surroundings were simply nice to look at...Wyoming high country is superb!

river 6.jpg

We were off...Looking for more fly fishing opportunites.

river 19.jpg

Louise in her element. She's a former guide and knows the difference between a PMD, Caddis, Stimulators, etc. I, on other hand, am the Idiot Abroad. I need to learn.

river 5.jpg

I guess she knew what she was doing. She caught some fish. This one taken on a streamer.

river 2.jpg

Off we went...

river 4.jpg

History class. This area was part of the Oregon Trail and specifically, the Lander Cutoff. Signs and a few gravesites mark the area.

river 18.jpg

As Yogi Bear stated...when you see a fork in the road--Take it! We did...

river 3.jpg

The fork led us to LaBarge, Wyoming. If you are in the area; find this house. Not too many in LaBarge. The owner has done some awesome, original work. One always needs a boat in Wyoming.

river 20.jpg

Until next time...Get out there...Fall is here:)

keylay

Adventurer
Very neat trip! I agree with you that Wyoming is beautiful.

In 2008, i was living in Denver and needed a certification for work. The closest class was in Pinedale, WY, about 70 miles east of the area you were at, i'm guessing. I went in early October hoping to find a hotel/motel to stay in. Sure enough, it was hunting season and a Friday night, so all the oilfield workers had booked EVERY last one. So, i stayed at the library until they closed and then went and found a camp site out of town. Sad part was, i wasn't planning on camping, so i didn't bring a tent or camping gear. I "slept" in my extended cab Tacoma for about two hours that night.

Long story short, when getting out to the county, plan for anything and sleeping outdoors. Now I'm with a 4Runner and can sleep in that all stretched out.

I always enjoy your trip reports! Were the roads pretty good in that area? I would love to get up there again sometime and cover the same trails you did. I just want to make sure that I bring the right tool for the job.

Thanks for sharing!

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the words...yeah, the roads were in great shape. The only one that had a few rough spots was the road out to la barge. Along la barge creek...just rocky. Good tires and u will be fine��. Have fun!

I always enjoy your trip reports! Were the roads pretty good in that area? I would love to get up there again sometime and cover the same trails you did. I just want to make sure that I bring the right tool for the job.

Thanks for sharing!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
another great family outing of yours for me to enjoy, big thanks for taking us along.
I have not been through Wy much and I can see it is worth the trek north...just not in winter :)

Great pics as always and thanks again for posting.

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks...glad you enjoyed! Yes, Wyoming is Grand. The Tetons and Yellowstone get a lot of press...But, there are many other parts that are just terrific! Have fun...

another great family outing of yours for me to enjoy, big thanks for taking us along.
I have not been through Wy much and I can see it is worth the trek north...just not in winter :)

Great pics as always and thanks again for posting.

DVD

Adventurer
Another great trip report. I'm looking forward to extending my range some time and exploring Wyoming. Great sights, activities, history.

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks...yeah, if you get the chance; check out Wyoming. A lot to see...awesome history as well!

Another great trip report. I'm looking forward to extending my range some time and exploring Wyoming. Great sights, activities, history.

stioc

Expedition Leader
OK mph, you have to tell me your secret...how do you find the time (and energy) to get out there what seems like every couple of weeks? :)

mph

Expedition Leader
It's all relative, right? Do I get out a lot? Maybe...How do I it? Ahhh...Really, I am lucky; I try to take advantage of my surroundings and weather. The area in this thread is only a few hours away. Weather, I try to capitalize on good weather windows. Never know if you will get another...Looks good in the desert this weekend; let's rally! Energy, I agree; it's much easier staying home...As I get older; I hate packing! But, really every trip has been a blast. The only one that I can think of that was bad was when my brother in-law fell on a rappel in Robber's Roost. That's another story...

My wife and daughter are pretty darn flexible and cool. Which really helps...They are great and many times want to come along. Sometimes; they don't and I go...The other thing that has worked lately is that I have to do some "research". I am writing a few articles for some magazines, so I tell the wife I need to do some research:) Check out the Winter Edition of Overland Journal.

Bottom line...It's just fun to explore. Close to home or around the world...It's fun to see a new place, experience a new activity, and possible challenge oneself in a variety of ways. It just never gets old.

Thanks for the note!

OK mph, you have to tell me your secret...how do you find the time (and energy) to get out there what seems like every couple of weeks? :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles