Falken Wildpeak AT3W Long Term?

Bikemobile

Adventurer
2017 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500.

Im getting ready to swap off my Duratracs with 27 k miles. They are noisy as heck and rotations are not quieting them down anymore. They are 70% worn and have been great in everything but icy roads this last winter.

How are the Falkens holding up? Road noise? Issues? Are they as great, awesome and amazing as all the reviews say? Anyone wish they went with General Grabber ATX or similar? ATX is the only other tire I’m considering. I owned 4 sets of AT2’s and loved them.

How are the sidewalls? Winter performance? Mud?

The Falkens come in XL rating for my size 276/55/20. I’m staying stock until my warranty runs out.

Most everything else requires sizing up or getting an LT tire. Trying to stay away from LT’s.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
May I ask why would you stay away from a LT tire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unnecessary addition of weight and possibly harsh ride. I’m already not jazzed about the 20’s so maintaining an acceptable ride is important.

For example: p-rated XL 275/55-20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W 117T max load is 154 pounds more per tire than General Grabber LT275/55-20. The Falken weighs 8 pounds less per tire.

The additional capacity is good peace of mind and the weight savings is nice.

My experience with General tires has been great in the past. Falken all terrain tires have been junk in the past until the AT3W came out and now it seems like a miracle tire by all the glowing reviews.

g man

I see. I can understand the harness of 20s. Modern big brakes and the “new look” has definitely taken away from ride comfort with them.

I too am curious about the Falken tires. They suddenly see to be the bees knees according to many interwebby reviews.

I have no intelligence to add to your thread, but thank you for the clarification.

Good luck in your search for answers!

-G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I put AT3W's on my Suburban in November of 2016. 2 1/2 years and ~30,000 miles on them now and I'm still very happy with them. Mine are LT's though. I would not run P rated tires on a truck this big, especially with the heavy loads and towing I do.

They seem to do very well both off road and in the snow (mine do have the "Severe Weather" snowflake rating, not sure if all AT3W's do.)

Don't get me started on the obnoxious "wagon wheel" trend. Of all the trends in truck design over the past 30 years, that one has to be the most puzzling. "Hey, what can we do to make a vehicle more expensive, less comfortable AND less capable?" "Wow, that's a tough order but we could start by putting ridiculously huge wheels on them!" :rolleyes:

jbaucom

I don't have anything to say about the Falkens, though I'm running them on my '14 Sierra 1500 now. However, the Falkens replaced a set of Grabber ATX that I put about 6,000 miles on (Falken & General size LT275/70R17). The Grabbers were excellent performers in light and deep (by southern standards) snow - I had no problem busting through a bumper high berm left by a snowplow and then climbing a steep, unplowed side road, gravel, dirt, and moderate mud on forest service roads. They handled about as well on high speed gravel roads as they did on dry pavement. It may have just been bad luck, but the reason I'm no longer running the Grabber ATX is because on the interstate, it felt like I was driving a paint shaker; the Falken AT3W is smooth. I still miss my Generals, because they seemed to have superior traction in every condition I put them through, but the shaking was a deal-breaker when I often drive 3-4 hours on the interstate to get to the mountains or the coast.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I put AT3W's on my Suburban in November of 2016. 2 1/2 years and ~30,000 miles on them now and I'm still very happy with them. Mine are LT's though. I would not run P rated tires on a truck this big, especially with the heavy loads and towing I do.

They seem to do very well both off road and in the snow (mine do have the "Severe Weather" snowflake rating, not sure if all AT3W's do.)

Don't get me started on the obnoxious "wagon wheel" trend. Of all the trends in truck design over the past 30 years, that one has to be the most puzzling. "Hey, what can we do to make a vehicle more expensive, less comfortable AND less capable?" "Wow, that's a tough order but we could start by putting ridiculously huge wheels on them!" :rolleyes:
Lots of metro aftermarket wheels out there.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Supposedly, the P-rated falkens have more silica content than the LT’s so they grip better on ice and snow.

The XL P-Rated tire has more than enough load capacity for me.

I am in the market for some factory 18’s though.

benz88

I have P275/60R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I got them back in January 2016 when they first landed. Ive been running them on my 04 CCSB silverado 1/2ton since then and still have 70% tread left and I'm not easy on tires. I'm actually putting them onto my 12 sierra soon as the new wheels for them show up. Ive converted alot of customers at work and friends/family over to them from BFG AT's and Duracraps. For the price they simply cant be beat.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Some light truck tires would deliver better handling and safety over p rated ones.
I'm surprised the government lets passenger rated tires be supplied to 1/2 ton owners.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
P-rated tires often have shallower tread depth than their lt counterparts. The p rated may not last as long. I ran a set of P rated tires on my Tacoma. They rode better but they didn't last and I got a lot of flats. I bought the same tire in an E rating. It was worth the money and longevity. I went with the AT3W because my buddy has them on his 3/4 ton Cummins and they holding up really well. He has the same tires on his tj and they ride nice. Plus they are cheap.

jbaucom

Also, when considering load ratings, remember that p-metric and euro-metric tire load ratings are reduced by a factor of 1.1 (9%) when installed on a light truck or SUV.

With this reduction, the Grabber A/TX has 104 lbs greater maximum capacity than the XL rated Falken.

Last edited:

benz88

Ive yet to have a problem with my P rated Wildpeaks. And I tow with it. As well as like to drive spiritedly haha

malibubts

Adventurer
I've had my AT3Ws in 285/75R17 LT for about a year now and put on about 12k miles. No complaints so far and have been a great tire, no hesitation to recommend them to anyone. Road noise isn't bad, they are wearing great, and have taken everything I have thrown at them.

rho

Lost again
I had a set of AT3W's in 285/75R16 for 2 years with 40k on em with about half life left, swapped them to my partners truck and she's running them right now. I have a second set on my JKU (315/75R17) Both load range E, they've been great tires so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles