Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - anyone running them? Opinions?

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I continue to be impressed with mine. Just got back from 9 days in the national forest for an elk hunt, and the rain/snow with some 40 degree days made for a lot of mud. I used common sense but never had to chain up and never got stuck. On the way down the 5th wheel was loaded, and the bed had a bunch of weight in cooler and ice, extra diesel, water, gasoline, propane, chains, etc. Aired the Falkens up to 75 psi and have no complaints with their performance.
Njp6O1w.jpg

drrobinson

I have been running Wildpeak A/TW3s 265/75R16 116T on our Xterra for 35k. Love them. I went with the SL instead of the E1 load range because they save 12 lbs and ride nice and smooth on the road.

Good snow performance. Quiet on the road, and do well on dirt. No problems with the side walls but we don’t rock crawl. I rarely go below 20psi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

enzo

Explorer
I just ordered a set in 275/70/17 for one of my 4runners. I used to be a BFG guy but my last two sets of KO2s (on two different vehicles)wore like crap.

jadmt

ignore button user
just another update and lots more winter driving experience. Still showing no signs of wear which is uncanny because they stick like glue on ice. Winter in Montana throws a lot at you and these are continuing to impress me.

kga1978

Another happy customer here - 265/65/18 (SL) on my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and I gotta say they're about the most perfect tires out there. A tiny bit louder (pretty much imperceptible - I'm very sensitive to noise, so if this is concerns you, don't worry) than the stock Goodyear Wrangler Adventure (265/60/18), but so much better in the dirt.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another happy customer here - 265/65/18 (SL) on my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and I gotta say they're about the most perfect tires out there. A tiny bit louder (pretty much imperceptible - I'm very sensitive to noise, so if this is concerns you, don't worry) than the stock Goodyear Wrangler Adventure (265/60/18), but so much better in the dirt.

Yeah, I've got the GY Wrangler Kevlar (not sure if it's the same tire as the Adventure) on my F-150 and they suck in snow despite having the "snowflake" badge. Unfortunately I blew my tire budget for this season putting new Coopers on my wife's CR-V so I'm just hoping we don't get too much more snow before the end of Winter. Come Autumn I'll get a set of Wildpeaks on my truck.

lzpup

Observer
Great thread, anyone in the PNW with the AT/3W? currently have toyo MTs (little smooth at this point) on my Mega Cab 2500 cummins , with Popup (37s). Mostly run on forest roads and pavement, lots of trips up the passes in snow. The MTs have sucked in the snow, but may be the age. Have some concerns about getting stuck in mud, but i guess if it is really bad I can bust out the chains. I am thinking the AT/3W would be a better all around and better on road.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is this on the LT tires as well?

That could be a deal breaker.
I went from 3-ply BFG KO2 E-rated LT235/85R16 to 2-ply AT3/W E-rated LT265/75R16 on my Tacoma. The Falkens do ride noticeably softer, jury is still out on durability. My KO2 had several cuts in the sidewalls by the end but never failed me. I doubt the Falkens will be as tough. But I also knew this going in and decided to give them a try. The snow and ice traction is significantly better and both were snowflake'd.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I went from 3-ply BFG KO2 E-rated LT235/85R16 to 2-ply AT3/W E-rated LT265/75R16 on my Tacoma. The Falkens do ride noticeably softer, jury is still out on durability. My KO2 had several cuts in the sidewalls by the end but never failed me. I doubt the Falkens will be as tough. But I also knew this going in and decided to give them a try. The snow and ice traction is significantly better and both were snowflake'd.

@DaveInDenver I am thinking about going from 235/85/16 KO2's to the Falken AT3/W in a 265/75/16 are you still happy with your Falkens?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@DaveInDenver I am thinking about going from 235/85/16 KO2's to the Falken AT3/W in a 265/75/16 are you still happy with your Falkens?
Yes, so far. I'd certainly keep them on the consideration list again at this point. Haven't had any issues on trails or anything. For more road oriented use they do still ride a little better and quieter than the KO2s did. I'm about 9,000 miles on them now, so not really a good long term conclusion on wear yet.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Yes, so far. I'd certainly keep them on the consideration list again at this point. Haven't had any issues on trails or anything. For more road oriented use they do still ride a little better and quieter than the KO2s did. I'm about 9,000 miles on them now, so not really a good long term conclusion on wear yet.

Great, thats what I wanted to hear! The Taco doesn't see much offroad use these days.

Any feed back on how the Falkens do starting and stopping in the rain?

My KO2's break traction very easily when starting or stopping on wet asphalt.

yfarm

Observer
I replaced my oem michelins with upsized Falkens at the urging of my local tire shop. Went in the shop i tending to buy the same E rated 315/70/17 ko2s that I have on my raptor. Owner of shop asked me if I drove on rock roads, I replied that the truck would be driven on blm shelf roads in NM which are far worse than the gravel roads he meant. I asked why and his response as a BFG dealer was the ko2s used to have a rubber compound that was very resistant to chunking, has been changed and now sees chunking problems with the new version. Said the Falken is more resistant to chunking in his experience. Bought the Falkens and saved $50 per tire. So far at about 3k miles have been very satisfied. Right after mounting with about 600 miles on the tires ran into an unexpected snow storm with slush, drove in 2wd at interstate speeds with no issues. Bought a set of Falken Open Country highway treads for my wifes suv previously and have been flawless over 25k miles.

Bama67

I can't explain enough how good these Falkens AT3W are. Traction is night and day better than the "snow rated" Goodyear Kevlars on my F250. THEY SUCKED

Also, my wifes Tundra needed new tires, we live in Far North Idaho and get tons of snow, ice, slush; so I found some Cooper M&S on big time sale and bought them.
Despite the name, this is Coopers super siped winter tire.
I can say that the Falkens perform better than these true snow tires. The Coopers do about as good in fresh snow, but cannot match the Falkens in slush, nor ice.

At the bottom of our steep drive, the Coopers will skid and slide upon braking, where you pretty much have to try to make the Falkens slide.

I've run many different tires and these Falkens are by far the best performing and my favorite. There is some type of sorcery in these tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles