Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - anyone running them? Opinions?

jadmt

ignore button user
I just got my 255/80R17s from Tirebuyer.com. $840 for 5 shipped plus a $50 visa gift card. They took very little weight to balance ie between 2 and 2.5 ounces. Ordered on sunday and they were delivered on tuesday which is pretty good. Local installer installed all 5 of them for $53.50 (they get delivered to the tire shop which is also nice).
this is next my 315/70-17 coopers. kind of an optical illusion.
IMG_20190618_151403200_HDR_zpspj7ospdz.jpg

IMG_20190618_151648303_HDR_zps6hgcxbhw.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
305/65r18 on my 4x4 van. After about 2,500 miles I love them. Quiet on the road, good on the snow (one ski trips so far) good road manners wet or dry. I can not comment on hard core off-roading, but as all around tire and aspirational adventurer, it has been great.
Anyone with a full sized diesel truck running them for awhile?

Darwin

Explorer
My at3W tires are still new but so far I like them. The tread depth is surprisingly deep but with closer spaced lugs compared to my Cooper Sttmaxx tires. I had really good luck with the Coopers but since I went with a 37 inch tires on my new truck I went with the Falken wanting to maintain decent MPG to offroad compromise.

The 37/12.5/18 Falken At3w's have a load capacity of 3,960 lbs at 65 psi.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I run them on my F-350 diesel. I 'think' I have about 8K miles on them but will need to check my records. I've hauled over a ton in the bed, pulled my loaded 3-horse trailer and a loaded flat bed, plus my 5th wheel that has about an 1800 lb. pin weight. I've used the tires in mud, sand, forest roads, backroads with lots of sharp rocks, and light snow. No complaints at all with the tires. They aren't a true mud tire and will ball up in the thick stuff but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'd buy them again without hesitation at this point.

gspfunk

I just got my 255/80R17s from Tirebuyer.com. $840 for 5 shipped plus a $50 visa gift card. They took very little weight to balance ie between 2 and 2.5 ounces. Ordered on sunday and they were delivered on tuesday which is pretty good. Local installer installed all 5 of them for $53.50 (they get delivered to the tire shop which is also nice).
this is next my 315/70-17 coopers. kind of an optical illusion.
IMG_20190618_151403200_HDR_zpspj7ospdz.jpg

IMG_20190618_151648303_HDR_zps6hgcxbhw.jpg
Mmmmm. I love the Salta’s. Wish they made them in 18’s.

jadmt

ignore button user
Just an update after 5000 miles or so these show literally no wear. I’m anal about doing 5 tire rotation at 3000-4000 miles and these look so new I’ll wait. My jeep is heavy and a lot of miles were towing a trailer. Definitely would get another set.

polishammer

Anyone with a full sized diesel truck running them for awhile?

I run them on my 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab 5.9 Diesel on H2 Wheels. Had them for a while and no complains. Most of the time I run empty, but few times had full bed and 9K-10K trailer running for around 800 miles non stop. No issues. They balance easy, are very quiet and wear well.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Do they co.lect and hold rocks in the tread?

Every AT and hybrid does. Heck my Toyo MTs would. I have 4 or 5 huge dings in my doors from that.

Concerning this thread. I had 37x12.50e18 Falken AT/3Ws installed today. Man it's nice to have a quiet truck again.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
For those that run the popular LT285/70R17 (33/11.50R17) size, Falken now offers its A/TW3 in both 10ply E and 6ply C ratings.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think Cooper understands this and that is why they went to China.

Made in Hangzhou

No U.S.-based tire manufacturer has been more vocal about its truck tire manufacturing activities in China than Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.

In late 2003, Cooper announced that it would shift its medium truck tire production to China from its plant in Albany, Ga.

All Cooper truck tires are now made by Hangzhou (China) Rubber Co. Ltd.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311321/china-or-bust-tire-companies-race-to-source-truck-tires-from-china-as-technology-improves

In February 2006, Cooper Tire & Rubber recalled 288,000 passenger-car tires from the Chinese maker because they contained "unauthorized material" in the sidewalls. Cooper said that could have caused air leaks and, eventually, tread separation. Cooper couldn't be reached Monday night for comment.

http://asq.org/qualitynews/qnt/execute/displaySetup?newsID=1672

FINDLAY — A year after Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. severed ties with a Chinese plant that scuttled a merger the Findlay firm had with an Indian tiremaker, Cooper has found a new Chinese maker of bus and truck tires.

The new Chinese plant, which Cooper said is capable of making 5 million to 6 million tires, will replace the production of bus and truck tires now done by another Chinese firm of which Cooper divested in late 2014.

https://www.toledoblade.com/busines...ds-new-Chinese-tire-maker/stories/20160106278
Good information.

polishammer

As mentioned, most ATs will hold small rocks/gravel and Falkens are no exception. Saying that, I did not see much difference between BFG AT, Falken AT and ProComp AT in that regard.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
As mentioned, most ATs will hold small rocks/gravel and Falkens are no exception. Saying that, I did not see much difference between BFG AT, Falken AT and ProComp AT in that regard.

I've got 2000 miles on my Falkens now. I significantly prefer the tiny rocks they hold and throw to the boulders that got stuck in my Toyo MTs and dented the sides of the truck when they let loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles