Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - anyone running them? Opinions?

Hnoroian

Observer
Got back from a few days of wheeling, and I can say that I was not disappointed in the tires. Just a short recap though we did not see much snow, we did find some mud and muck, slush from the snow that didn't stick and some icy roads in our travels. In the muck the tires dug deep and cleared out very well and didn't slip in the slush and ice. It crawled up some lines in the hills that my brother in laws couldn't (trying before and after us) and we went straight when he was sideways.

I know everyone has their own opinions and not everyone will have the same exact results but I would most certainly buy the tires again, they are quiet, smooth and did well in many conditions so far. I can't wait to try them in the sand soon.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We're predicted to get 6 - 14" of snow here between today and Friday so I'll drive the Suburban with the new AT/3W's and report back. :elkgrin:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Snow performance...

About 6 - 8" of fresh powder on the ground and more on the way. Took a short excursion to take the wife to PT this morning. Tires did GREAT! Very impressed so far. They are absolutely as good in snow as my BFG AT KO's were on my 4runner.
A few snapshots:
snowstorm 01.JPG
They "Pattern" nicely in deep snow:
snowstorm 02.JPG
Somewhat fuzzy picture of road conditions. Very little slippage and they gripped well, even in deep packed snow on the roads.
snowstorm 03.JPG
Considering that I saved a not inconsiderable amount of money by going with these tires (around $200) I'm very happy with them so far. They haven't really been tried "off road" except for a jaunt down Mt. Lemmon - Oracle Road in Tucson (Tucson peeps know exactly what I'm talking about!) but I think they'll work well for me.

I can't comment on snow performance, but I had no issues in mud with my 285/70R17s. The
Unfortunately I do have an out of round tire that Falken is not going to Warranty. They only warrant that for the first 1/32". If my discount tire had done their job, I wouldn't be buying a new tire at this very moment. I had the tires balanced 6 times over 2 months and always had vibrations. I was told to replace every single component of the steering system, u joints, cv shafts, axle, wheels, bearings. None of it worked. Then when checking for a bad wheel bearing on a lift, in 4wd, I noticed the front tire out of round and obviously so.
I'm really more upset with Discount for this than anything, they should have noticed this right off the bat. Also not happy with Falken for not standing behind their manufacturing. How these perform for the rest of their life will determine if I buy any more Falkens. Just my experience.

Hnoroian

Observer
I can't comment on snow performance, but I had no issues in mud with my 285/70R17s. The
Unfortunately I do have an out of round tire that Falken is not going to Warranty. They only warrant that for the first 1/32". If my discount tire had done their job, I wouldn't be buying a new tire at this very moment. I had the tires balanced 6 times over 2 months and always had vibrations. I was told to replace every single component of the steering system, u joints, cv shafts, axle, wheels, bearings. None of it worked. Then when checking for a bad wheel bearing on a lift, in 4wd, I noticed the front tire out of round and obviously so.

I'm really more upset with Discount for this than anything, they should have noticed this right off the bat. Also not happy with Falken for not standing behind their manufacturing. How these perform for the rest of their life will determine if I buy any more Falkens. Just my experience.

That's a bummer, Had a radial pull after the first 2-2.5/32 with goodyear and the original tire, neither the dealership or goodyear did anything. But the Industry standard is usually the first 1/32 for many defects.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that Discount Tire didn't warranty it. From my experiences they have very good customer service. Have you tried escalating this to a higher level at DT? The cost to them for one tire is nothing if it keeps you as a customer, that's why I'm surprised they didn't just cover it themselves.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I've been running the 285/70-17 on my F-350 diesel for a few thousand miles. My experience with traction and performance mirror that of the others who have chimed in. I'll add that they do a great job towing. I've towed my 27' Camper, 3 horse trailer, and flatbed loaded with hay on multiple occasions. Air 'em up to 75 or 80 psi and they handle weight as well as the previoust Dynapro ATMs or Cooper Discoverer AT3. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again at this point.

GoinBoardin

Observer
No the 285/75R16 is only available as an E-rated LT tire.

I'll offer up my opinion of the AT3W's as well. Winter traction is excellent. Rock traction is good. Dirt traction is good. On road they're very comfortable. In fact I like them very much everywhere, except mud. They load up quickly, but that is to be expected. It looks like I will get 30-35k miles before traction becomes a problem off road, legally I should be able to squeeze 40k miles, unless wear rate increases. Currently getting 2400miles per 1/32" with 235/85R16. This is on a full size, typically 6500lbs, sometimes running 7k lbs, empty is more like 5300 lbs (rare).

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice if they offered 3-ply sidewalls for big trucks. This is what a write-up in one of the offroad mags.

scandy

for anyone who's currently running the wildpeaks, can you compare ride comfort to anything else you've owned? i'm coming off Cooper AT3's which, while they've been a decent tire, seemed to make my ride quality go to crap. Long gravel bumpy but non technical roads take up most of my offroad driving, so i'm really interested in how these do in that regard. they seem to be a real solid choice otherwise.
considering the stmaxx too

MOguy

Explorer
for anyone who's currently running the wildpeaks, can you compare ride comfort to anything else you've owned? i'm coming off Cooper AT3's which, while they've been a decent tire, seemed to make my ride quality go to crap. Long gravel bumpy but non technical roads take up most of my offroad driving, so i'm really interested in how these do in that regard. they seem to be a real solid choice otherwise.

I have had the Wildpeak ATs for about 12K miles on them and I am very happy. My last tires were super swampers so of course the WPs ride nicer. I live in a rural area and drive on dirt roads daily. The WPs grip much better on dirt roads then the Super Swampers did.

They wild peaks drive nice on the road, didn't take much weight to balance and I picked up 2.5mpgs from my Super Swampers.

kbahus

Adventurer
Anyone else have updates on these tires?Most interested in winter performance compared to the K02, which I hve found to be great.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer

I ran the Discoverer AT3 prior to the Wildpeak AT3w, though the Coopers were a slightly larger size. I was not a big fan of the AT3; I found it to be somewhat noisy and slightly squirrely on hardpack dirt/gravel roads. I find the Wildpeaks to be better in every regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles