Falken A/T3W vs BFG A/T KO2 for roughly the same price...thoughts and/or experience?

Andy G

Adventurer
Getting new shoes on the van (2017 Chevy Express 2500 RWD)... it's down to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's or BFG A/T KO2's. I ran that Falken's on my old Trooper and loved them. Costco has a promotion going on now that's $110 off the BFG's, which makes the total price (including tax and installation) about 40 bucks less than the BFG's. Winter snow/ice traction is important, and both are 3 Peak rated for snow service. I've heard the Falken's wear better and last a bit longer than the BFG's. Both have similar warranties. I'll be doing 70% road and 30% off road...with the off road being 2-tracks, fire roads, and forest service roads...not mudding, rock crawling, etc. What direction would you go, and why?

Thanks!!!

Andy G

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies... I did decide to go with the Falkens. I really liked their performance on my Trooper, and I love the look of them. Ordered 'em up today, appointment made for next week for installation! Thanks!

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had both KO2 in 34x10.5-17 and Falken in 255/80-17 both were great the falkens were cheaper and equal in performance but if the same price I probably would get the KO2's. I did read that Falken changed the rubber compound on the at3w recently and not in a good way. this was published by tire tester Joe Bacal.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I’ve had both. I have the Falkens on my Jeep and one pickup right now. The second pickup will get a set in the Spring. I’ll never be running BFG KMs or KOs ever again. Take that for what it’s worth.

jeepers29

I just my 3rd set of BFG's on my jeep. Love them. We spend a lot of time in Colorado, both snow and rocks and have always been happy. Have averaged 55,000 miles per set .

Alloy

Last year was my 3rd year with BFG KO2s towing in the snow. The compound is no longer soft and with 40%-50% tread gone there is a significant loss of traction.

Going to try the Falkens next becasue they are +/- the same price, start with 3/32nds more tread depth and are 10lbs heavier.

Last edited:

eaglevo

If you're looking for an alternative, I have had the MT Deagan 38 AT on the van for about 4 mos. This last wknd we were in 1.5-2' of snow and I am very impressed! Well beyond the limits of the drivetrain and the tires just kept on going. Their prices aren't bad either.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
BFG's all the way. If you do a side by side you will notice the Falkens tread depth is far less. Sidewalls are not as strong as BFG's either. Tires always looked low. Took them off after a week and bought the right tires, BFG's.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
BFG's all the way. If you do a side by side you will notice the Falkens tread depth is far less. Sidewalls are not as strong as BFG's either. Tires always looked low. Took them off after a week and bought the right tires, BFG's.

BFG advertises the thread depth of the KM2 as 15/32”. The Falken ATW3 is advertised at 20/32”. The Falken has deeper tread.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
BFG KOs on the Tundra and Explorer that get driven a lot
Cooper AT3s (3rd set) on the Trooper that gets driven very little

I like them both. Falkens are probably just as good but I had a bad experience with them on a Maxima and won't buy that brand again.

I do think the BFGs have gotten harder since I first started buying them 15 years ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles