Falken A/T3W vs BFG A/T KO2 for roughly the same price...thoughts and/or experience?

plh

Explorer
I had Falkens - earlier version of the WildPeak A/T - great tire but became loud after some wear on my monocoque chassis. I am on the second set of KO2s (lots of miles put on this rig) and wouldn't go back to Falkens. At the time Falkens were considerable less expensive IIRC $129 / tire vs $215 per for KO2. But prices change over time.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I started with toyo at2’s on the van. Traction near the end of their life was worthless. Got about 30k out of them. Wasn’t impressed overall. Bought ko2’s for round 2 and they have performed as expected. Quieter than the at2’s and much better grip for the terrains we spend time on. Right about 30k with the ko2’s as well and it’s about time to get new shoes, but money is tight so going to try something new.

Have been pricing everything and was surprised at how close the prices were between the the bfg’s and the falkens In my size. Both out of reach for us right now. So doing lots of research for something different. Considering the kenda klever rt’s but there isn’t much out there about them from owners of vehicles other than jeeps and I probably weigh twice what most jeeps do.

the wildpeaks were on my radar, so glad you started this thread. thanks for all who have offered their feedback.

Andy G

Adventurer
Ended up with the Falken's, and couldn't be happier. With my military discount (thank you Discount Tire!) I was able to get them for 60 bucks less than the BFG's would have been on sale. Super happy with them... hoping the snow stays away so I don't need to test their ability! Thanks to everyone that replied!

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Im a fleet truck dealer so I get to try lots of different tires every month, I mean lots and lots. I have been running the Falkens for the last 5 years after having BFGs for the last 30 years. The BFGs are not what they used to be, hard and crappy on ice. I live at 8100 ft in CO, dirt roads are very steep to my house. I currently have 285 BFGs on my 02 8500lb 8.1L Suburban. I have 265 Falken Wildpeak ATs on my Quigley 3500 Express which weighs almost as much (both have gear in them) so I can compare day to day. The Falkens hands down outperform the BFGs everyday on ice and snow, also super quiet on highway. I have 285 Cooper AT XLs on my 08 Duramax turtle top 3500 Express (over 9000lbs) and they are pretty awesome, very quiet. A few years ago I blew through a set of extremely noisey BFGs on the diesel van in only 15K miles (down to like 30-35%) and they would not warranty (50K mile warranty at that time) the tires even though everything on the van was right which left a very sour taste in my mouth. When I swapped to the Coopers and Falkens they were so quiet I heard all these wind noise sounds I had never heard before. My opinion? The BFGs look great but no longer deliver like they once did, they have lowered the quality while keeping the price high. I know a while back they lost their snow rating, dont know if that's back. I like the Falkens a lot, especially in winter, lots of siping, look good too, great in every way. Speaking of winter, I have to go back outside and plow some more as it is dumping.

CSG

Explorer
I’ve had both. I have the Falkens on my Jeep and one pickup right now. The second pickup will get a set in the Spring. I’ll never be running BFG KMs or KOs ever again. Take that for what it’s worth.
It's not worth anything without an explanation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior