fake patrol QX56 build

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
If you've got HBMC, you're going to need to do all 4 shocks at once, you won't have damping in front if you just replace the rear shocks.

HBMC =/= air suspension FYI.

The 3044 shock is too long, you need 3050-3500. The 3500 will have 14mm (9/16") bushings; the 2500 shocks have a 12mm lower bushing. The factory lower shock bolt is 14mm.
I'm pretty sure I drilled out the Synergy 8070 to 9/16", those are setup for a 1/2" bolt if I recall. It's going to require a bit of creativity, this isn't an exact science yet.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Shocks are in, ride is so much better.
Took the opportunity to weld in the inserts to fix the egged out lower bolt holes:
IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1826.jpg

Grinding of the coil bucket is mandatory for extra droop:
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg

Here's some final assembly shots:
IMG_1825.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg

Ride height now looking a lot more balanced. If you measure closely, the rear wells are cut lower onto the body, the step is actually slightly lower in the front.
IMG_1828.jpg
#justsaynotospongeshocks

Last edited:

e61outside

Looks great! I’m glad I went with the Dirt Kings UCAs. No need for grinding as they totally clear the bucket. Down side is not quite as adjustable as the SPCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Thanks!
Realistically, the grinding isn't bad. First side, took about 20-30 to check and re-check. Second side, 5 min tops once you know the shape you need to make.

More goodies:
I don't usually buy into these, but it was on sale, and the amount of things you can finance at 0% is comical these days...so I did what a good American would do, and bought it. Have used AFE stuff on lots of other cars. One of the molded clips was broken on my air box, and I was a little concerned about the quality of the seal it made; combined with the price of a lifetime filter, it wasn't much more to just go for the whole air box and get an actual upgrade.
IMG_1713.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg
Car definitely pulls a little harder, I believe their dyno sheet. Either way, the induction noise is juuuuuuuust perfect and really changes the driving dynamics in the drivers seat. I like engine sounds, and these VK56's actually sound really, really good. They also include a rubber plug that makes this essentially as quiet as stock.

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Finally got around to adding a 'house' battery setup in the back. The OE 2nd row console was missing trim when I bought the car, and it ended up being a great place to sneak a Group 31 100Ah lithium battery on the floor. I used a bunch of stuff from Renogy, since they seem to make great product and a lot of friends have had good luck with them. I made the false floor early on, since we won't be using the 3rd row and I wanted more functionality out of the rear. Everything is removable easily either way, and I tapped into the existing 30a power supply to the rear 3rd row since that's already on a factory fuse and designed to carry a good current load. Pretty sweet that it's all setup via Bluetooth so I can monitor charge status and temperatures. I'll eventually add a solar connection plug, but for now this should suffice.
IMG_2768.jpg
IMG_2769.jpg
IMG_2770.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2773.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2775.PNG

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Installed these awhile back but forgot to update with pictures. Via Luso Overland, I was able to get a set of Boo's Bash plates imported from Australia. They're great! Super simple install, 3/16" aluminum, and coverage from the oil pan to the transfer case. Tucks up nicely underneath the factory front skid, which might get changed out someday but should do the job for now.
Boos-Bash-Y62-Skids.jpg
IMG_2299.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Figured now is as good a time as ever for some updates on this one. Moved to Idaho last year, so this car got a workout hauling our camp trailer and a U-haul up. 1200mi each way, didn't skip a beat. Also crammed a trip to Yosemite in between all the moving.

IMG_2822.jpg
IMG_2940.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg

Car worked perfectly through the winter too, all the heated features and climate control systems work amazingly.
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4213.jpg
IMG_4232.jpg

The snow plows put a big pile by my driveway all winter long, so I had to see which of my 4x4s made it highest. Surprisingly, my wifes little beater ML500 spanked this thing, HAHA! The QX is the lower of the 2 tracks, the ML really showed it's weight and snow tire advantage here.

IMG_4323.jpg
IMG_4153.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior