fake patrol QX56 build

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Thought I would chime in as I am loving this build. My wife is looking to replace her current Audi Q5 with one of these and I hadn't given them much thought previously coming from a toyota background (06 4runner, 88 pickup, 97 4runner, 07 GX470) but after researching them more and seeing the progress going into yours, definitely has them growing on me.

One question I did have was about the 35's. Did you have to do any fender/body clearance work to get them to fit properly? (full stuff lock to lock) the clearance looks beautiful and just the way I like. (Low and wide)
I trimmed a little of the flare/splash guard at the rear of the front fender, and used a heat gun to smooth out some high spots on the fronts of the wheel liner. Thats it. I think sticking with an 11.5" wide tire really helped here. If I could do it over, I probably would have gone with an 18" or 20" wheel, you can get a lot of the really good, less aggressive AT tires in metric sizes comparable to what I've got, 295/65R20 for example is a fairly common size that matches the overall profile of a 35x11.50. The main benefit to 17" is that tires tend to be cheaper, overall the combo is lighter, and just about anything that fits a late model Toyota 6-lug will work here too so you have endless options.

I doubt you'll regret it making a switch. It's a great platform.

talleyrand

Thanks! It's a really neat platform IMO. A few basic mods that most anyone does to any other platform really helps these perform. I've never driven anything this size and power that handles quite the same...IRS is dope.

I'd love to start offering the shock and spring package, but I just don't think anyone would really care enough, all the owners on FB groups etc seem to be weirdly obsessed with fuel mileage and maintenance costs, warranty coverage etc....like...why did you buy a full size luxury SUV then? It's too bad Nissan's product team seems to consistently miss the mark properly targeting enthusiasts, and meeting quality expectations for their current owners. The resale on these is straight comical when you compare with an LC, Denali etc on a feature per feature basis. There are more than a few fellas in OZ on the FB groups that happily left a 200 or 300 series for a Y62 and haven't looked back, the typical US owner couldn't care less. They just want a rolling house couch for shuttling kids to ball games and towing the ski boat 3 miles.

Any chance you'd put together a package for a QX80/Armada upon request? I've been looking at picking up a 17+ Y62 as an alternative to the outrageously expensive similar year LC200 and this build thread is a good inspiration. Looks like All Dogs Offroad sells a decent looking lift kit for the armada but I like the R&D you've done here and the adjustable dampers would be very cool.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Any chance you'd put together a package for a QX80/Armada upon request? I've been looking at picking up a 17+ Y62 as an alternative to the outrageously expensive similar year LC200 and this build thread is a good inspiration. Looks like All Dogs Offroad sells a decent looking lift kit for the armada but I like the R&D you've done here and the adjustable dampers would be very cool.
PM sent

MarcusBrody

Hmm, it's good to know that there is an off the shelf product out there (even if I suspect that it doesn't approach Sooper Camper's set up). I wonder how much lift it ends up providing.

I've had my eye on these for some time as they come down in price, but the lack of basically any aftermarket has always made it a tougher sell. I'm not looking for anything major, but there seems to be so little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior