Fair price on 98 XJ

GTI-88

Hi all,

I am hoping you all can give me an idea on a fair price to try to get for my 98 XJ.

I am considering posting it locally and want to put it out there for a reasonable price. She's still got plenty of life left and I would like to pass that on to the next person to enjoy. It is completely stock and has never been offroaded in any meaningful way. Below are some details on it and a photo.

1998 Jeep Cherokee – 4 door SUV - Black
4.0 liter straight 6
Automatic
4x4
~180,000 mi

Salvage Title:
Due to accident prior to my purchase. I was told by the shop I bought it from that the impact was on drivers side rear side panel. Panel and hatch were replaced. Damage was cosmetic, no frame damage, just enough to total it at about 90K miles.

A few issues:
  • Minor oil leak.
  • Minor coolant leak. I have replaced top and bottom radiator hoses, may need to swap in a new rad.
  • 4x4 sometimes sticks a little, I am sure it could use a fluid change.
  • Body damage to bottom corner of rear hatch (hit and run in parking lot). Hatch functions and seals just fine.
  • General maintenance should be gone through (spark plugs, all fluids changed, etc).
  • Suspension components are tired. Rear leaf springs starting to sag. Shocks were redone @ approx. 140K mi.
  • Drivers side front window does not work. The interior door panel is currently removed for diagnosing the window issue.
  • AC unit died and was removed and replaced with a pulley from non-AC Cherokee.
  • Could use a new muffler
Jeep.jpg

Any thoughts on a fair price to list at would be great, and if you all have any suggestions for selling w/out just posting on Craigslist. I generally have bad luck with people wasting my time when selling on craigslist. I am located in Eastern WA state if that makes a difference.

If I can't get a fair price for it I may just end up keeping it and fixing up the minor issues, maybe build it up a little for some light trails and camping

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Not sure what it would go for up in the NW, but here in NC I picked up a bone stock 2001 with no issues sans needing a wheel bearing for $1500 in 2017.

Had about the same amount of miles as yours currently does.

Scoutman

Explorer
We've had a few xj's over the years and still have 2 of them. Based on what you listed above I might post for ~$2500 and be tickled with anything close to $2k. An xj would either need quality mods or be in really good shape to fetch anything more than 3-4k. Ones that haven't been molested by some teenager or hillbilly can be hard to find.

Sounds like yours needs ~500-1000 in parts alone depending on how much you decide to fix. Some of those are easy and others, like suspension bushings, can be lots of labor for results you can't really see. I guess it all depends on how attached you are, whether you need a beater 4x4, and if its worth keeping or not.

GTI-88

We've had a few xj's over the years and still have 2 of them. Based on what you listed above I might post for ~$2500 and be tickled with anything close to $2k. An xj would either need quality mods or be in really good shape to fetch anything more than 3-4k. Ones that haven't been molested by some teenager or hillbilly can be hard to find.

Sounds like yours needs ~500-1000 in parts alone depending on how much you decide to fix. Some of those are easy and others, like suspension bushings, can be lots of labor for results you can't really see. I guess it all depends on how attached you are, whether you need a beater 4x4, and if its worth keeping or not.

Thanks for your thoughts. As far as attachment it has been a great vehicle, but I haven't driven it regularly for a few years now and I guess I am thinking I need to either pull it into the garage and start chipping away at it, or get it to someone else who can use and enjoy it.

If I do list it, I have been thinking asking around $2,000-$2,200 and holding out for at least $1,800.

If only I had a bigger garage, it would be no question of keeping it around ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94