Factory 4WD/AWD on Ford Transit?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Does anyone have any information on if/when Ford plans to release a 4WD/AWD version of the Transit van?

I understand that Quigley/Quadvan are doing "drop-ship" orders on new Transits but I'm looking for info on a factory offering.

If I'm correct, an AWD version is available outside the US?

I'm not able to glean much from my searches online.

Thanks,

Nate

Len.Barron

Observer
I doubt it will make it here...at least not in any qtys that would make it more affordable than working with Quigley. I really like the idea of a 3.2 Powerstroke with a GM IFS swap and that's why I'm watching the thread here on the board for doing the same to a sprinter..

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The AWD drivetrain used in Europe is quite a bit different than the north american version. Lower power is most notable. I am not 100% certain, but I believe the AWD transit used in Europe is based on a front wheel drive (transverse mounted engine) system.

CaptainBuilt

I wish Ford did, or will. But I doubt it. My next van will be a Transit with the Quadvan 4WD conversion on it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Correction, looking at some videos from the UK, the Transit AWD uses a typical solid axle in the rear, and in-line drivetrain.

carleton

Everybody and their brother is on Facebook claiming 2020 Transit with AWD in the US, but I haven't seen it in writing yet, and I'm skeptical it will happen (or ever happen).

Quadvan vs. Quigley: we've got a Quigley. Even though geographically we're located much closer to Quadvan it comes down to: quantity and customer service. Quigley does way more of these than Quadvan, has a larger scale operation. It's rare to hear of issues, and when they do have issues they seem to resolve them quickly since they have a larger team. Quadvan is a much smaller scale, and just can't provide the same level of service.

I'm sure they are both great, but it really comes down to scale.

Raul

Adventurer
From Ford España's Catalog:
Engines: 130HP (283 ft-lbs) and 170HP ( 298 ft-bs) Both Diesel
Normal driving RWD automatic coupling to in case of slippage.

When they place the solenoid or whatever it is at the bottom of the front differential they didn't think about ground clearance.
It seems that it is only offered with manual transmission so not very likely to come to the US in current format.

AWD Transit.JPG

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you could source the Ford AWD front hubs and suspension, a modest lift and GM/Ford IFS front diff could be fitted with a divorced Tcase. You would need custom driveshafts and CV shafts. But the Ford parts would save you dicking around with tone wheels, brakes, etc.

Raul

Adventurer
It will be even easier to source the FWD suspension as I bet most of these van in Europe are FWD.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would bet the parts are 90% common between the FWD and AWD front suspension. At least that's the way I would design it. That would kind of explain the Diff/trans combo. It was simpler to make that Frankenstein than rebuild the whole suspension and steering.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I think its weird that this discussion always tends to point to the euro models. As I understand it very little is shared between the two other than looks.
Why not look to the Ford USDM model vehicles that have the SAME available 3.5L ecoboost (as the Transit) and AWD?
Like the 2019 Explorer, https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/features/
Or the Expedittion with FX4 Off road package? https://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/features/capability/#fx4_off_road_package
IMO the Expedition available 9300lbs tow rating wouldn't hurt the Transit either.
With the parts on the shelf they shouldn't be more than a signature away.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The transit has a different wheel/cab/engine placement, so the suspension from a Explorer would not readily fit? My brother owns a 2019 explorer, I will have a look under it to see though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior