Factor 55

spikemd

Explorer
I bought a Factor 55 Flatlink for my Range Rover and a Factor 55 thimble for the LR3. The winch on the LR3 is recessed in the ARB bumper so it doesn't stick out too far. One issue I noticed after taking off the original hook was that the pin was slightly bent. The new pin from Factor 55 is much bigger. In addition, you must use a shackle with the thimble. I bought these at King of the Hammers and the green color was a one-off that won't make it to production. I sprayed a couple coats of clear coat since the rep said it could fade. Overall, great products.

2015-06-13 11.08.08.jpg

2015-06-13 11.06.05.jpg

2015-06-13 11.05.30.jpg

motoz

Adventurer
The do look bling but why not just a 4.75T shackle?

You still have a closed loop and one less component in your setup.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't get these. What's wrong with a hook?
Don't ask such a stupid question.
Everyone knows that if you have a hook the only way to rig is like this.

unsafe_weak_1-300x300.jpg

At least that's apparently what the factor 55 people think.

spikemd

Explorer
They have done some extensive testing for breaking strength, the thimble with shackle is safer and more secure and it does look a lot nicer. For me, I am very glad I switched because the pin on my hook was bent and the new pin in the Factor 55 is MUCH larger. The thimble sticks out too far for my liking so I got the Flatlink for my rangie. I also have stuck with good old steel cable since I have seen too many people changing out their synthetic line after just a couple years. It gets dirty and gritty and loses stength.

I was surprised to see they didn't have the tensile strength graphs on the website they had at the booth on KOH. I also purchased my about 40% below retail at the event.

RDC76

Adventurer
How is the thimble with a shackle safer and more secure than just a shackle?

How would you have just a shackle? With out the thimble you would have a hook and strap or hook and shackle. ( 90% of winch lines come with hooks assuming that's what you have)The thimble goes on the end of your winch line instead of the hook. It is a much safer setup. It lessons your chance of spooling your hand in the fairlead by having a built in stopper. And by using the thimble and shackle you now have a closed system. Not sure if that clarifies it. But if you go to their site it explains the benefits. Hope that helped your question.

fishEH

Explorer
Factor 55 is a bling component. None of their products are any safer than the already available alternatives. In fact, most times using a Factor 55 product requires the use of an additional connection device which introduces another point of failure.
Take your basic winch pull to a tree strap. With a tube thimble you have to use a shackle; 1 connecting link. With a hook you just use the hook; 1 connecting link. With a Factor 55 you have their product AND a shackle; 2 connecting links.
Hooks are plenty safe when used properly. Same with tube thimbles, regular shackles, and synthetic line.

Ray_G

Explorer
Factor 55 is a bling component. None of their products are any safer than the already available alternatives. In fact, most times using a Factor 55 product requires the use of an additional connection device which introduces another point of failure.
Take your basic winch pull to a tree strap. With a tube thimble you have to use a shackle; 1 connecting link. With a hook you just use the hook; 1 connecting link. With a Factor 55 you have their product AND a shackle; 2 connecting links.
Hooks are plenty safe when used properly. Same with tube thimbles, regular shackles, and synthetic line.

That is NOT what the marketing materials say! (Pardon the absence of sarcasm font). While the stuff is bling, and if the OP feels it answers a requirement, great-I still feel like it is a solution looking for a problem. Aesthetically I also have to admit I prefer the hook, but that might be nostalgia at work.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
How would you have just a shackle?
Pretty easily.

shackle_thimble%20copy.jpg

...most times using a Factor 55 product requires the use of an additional connection device which introduces another point of failure
Most times? I can't think of how you can ever use your winch for recovery without the use of another connection device.

While the stuff is bling, and if the OP feels it answers a requirement, great-I still feel like it is a solution looking for a problem.
Very true.
And I have to admit that they did well, reinventing the wheel to make it more complicated and then convincing people to buy it for over $100 even though you still have to use the simpler $25 wheel for your $100+ wheel to work.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Compromise! Want the bling of an aluminum thimble and about the same function of an eyelet, at about half the cost of anything made by Factor 55.

http://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/2014/08/safety-thimble-2/

It has it's own design advantages and disadvantages. For one since the line completely wraps the thimble, it's closer to having fewer points of failure as your really depending on just the rope eyelet to hold, not the eyelet plus a pin, plus the aluminum block. Plus, it looks better than my line dangling from a shackle off one of my recovery points.

I own one and they are STOUT, doesn't give a bit, as it put a nice half circle scratch on my kneecap the other day and hurt like hell when I ran into it. If that is not a testament to it's strength, I don't know what is. [/sarcasm]

The super simple eyelet in the above post is more than suitable as well. It doesn't "bump stop" but they make just bumpers you can stick on the line and have no load bearing role in the winching operation.

I just get kind of suspicious at seeing a product like Factor 55 being so promoted by people who buy them. I can see being enthused about buying a new trinket for your rig, I've been there, but a winch thimble coming up over and over, hmm. If Factor 55 was an advertiser on this board I think they would not be shy about it. I wonder if they don't offer a little incentive if you agree to go forth and spread the good word for them some.

It's not that Factor 55 is a bad product, but call a spade a spade, it's bling. It's meant to look cool and serve a function, which I'm sure it does fine. I think the flat link is a good idea, I like my thimble to bump up to the fairlead so it's handy, but as my knee can attest it sticking out like a pacifier on the front of my rig, isn't so great. I'm not going to pay $150 for one though, $70 for my Safety Thimble II was high given the simpler options out there, I just paid that much purely for aesthetics.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Sure it's blingy, but my lord does it look good... When we started carrying it I got most of the kit, prolink, fairlead, and hitch link. Quality product for sure.

RJx80Oz.png

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I'll just keep my hook and steel rope. I've had the synthetic rope before, and it's kind of a pain to keep clean and always having to worry if you are dragging it over a rock. It does save a lot weight though and its very nice when you have to to use your winch. But lets be honest, with a Land Rover, Center Diff lock and an ARB locker, who needs a winch?

dwvninety

Observer
I'll just keep my hook and steel rope. I've had the synthetic rope before, and it's kind of a pain to keep clean and always having to worry if you are dragging it over a rock. It does save a lot weight though and its very nice when you have to to use your winch. But lets be honest, with a Land Rover, Center Diff lock and an ARB locker, who needs a winch?

Your signature shows you own a Land Rover with CDL, ARB Locker and a Superwinch 10K? I'm not understanding your question?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles