fabricated console ideas

Kraqa

So im gonna be building a new console for the ZJ and im looking for ideas. It needs to house some cutting brakes, cup holders and a lockable compartment.

Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of cool storage ideas? coincidentally i just bought a 3d printer at work. so i can definitely make some cool ******** with it for this project. It will be here in a month.

here is one example i saw on IG and saved for later

Screenshot_20170625-205331.png

Screenshot_20170625-205325.png

Screenshot_20170625-205321.png

Screenshot_20170625-205317.png

Screenshot_20170625-205313.png

Screenshot_20170625-205309.png

Screenshot_20170625-205259.png

Mine will be different since it plan on keeping the front half of the factory console with the tranny and t case shifter in it.

i also am looking at (if i have enough room) making the compartment under the arm rest a cooler.

i do have this koolatron cooler that i use only 1 to 2 times a year. its pretty decent at keeping cold things cold, definitely not an ARB by any means. its uses a fair amount of power (4 amps @ 12 volts) , but i'm not sure if thats the fan or the inverter thing that actually heats/cools. it will kill an optima in 2 days if left plugged in. i think i will run each separately and see which one is the power hog.

i wonder how efficient it would be if it had a controller, and when it is cooling a much smaller space. i can't help but think that simply plumbing the AC vent into the console would cool it as much as this would (i know AC only really blows around 16 degrees is ur lucky). if it was well insulated, and on a rocker switch to have on-of-acc on so you can set it to not run when the truck if off if you want.

Once i get the old console out tomorrow i will know exactly how much room i have to work with. this may not even be viable.

20190129_192333.jpg

20190129_192339.jpg

20190129_192606.jpg

20190129_192616.jpg

02rangeredge

Adventurer
the console pictured is freaking awesome, good luck- but what are those 2 levers (I assume they're levers) to the left of the shifter?

That is a typical Peltier type cooler. It does require constant use of the fans. Ok for cooling small spaces but like you have found out they are power hogs. No way to reduce the power draw unless you use some type of thermostat control. Routing AC air will help, but remember you can't push air into a closed box. You might be better off using laminated panels to make a much better insulated box and that cooler assembly.

Sorry not a Jeep guy. I recognized them as an OEM part but wasn't for sure from what. I like the size and simplistic shape. I don't want foot long shifters with giant knobs. It is not like I am going to be using them a lot.

J!m

I have a tuffy box similar to the one shown. I opened up the stereo slot and the CB sits in there now. Also a power port next to it.

It came with dual cup holders that mount to the front but I never mounted them. Sort of encroach on the shifter area too much for me. But it might work in another truck.

Saint Nick

He is a console that was built around using a Tuffy security console.
View attachment 496799View attachment 496800View attachment 496801

Here is a link to some interior pics:
https://www.supermotors.net/clubs/2bigbroncosnorthwest/registry/12207/55280

You might do a search to see if someone has converted a Tuffy Console. Might be easier to use Peltier device on the bottom of an aluminum cup holder to keep a drink cold.

Nice work, especially the centre console.

Nick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne