F550 Flatbed Build

brp

Observer
Hi Bob, can you provide any info about the steel used to build your flatbed? I am mainly wondering how thick the wall of the stock are but also overall dimensions as well as specifically what type of steel it is. Thanks for any help and the great thread.

Carlyle

Explorer
Response from Bushwacker:

Carlyle,
Thank you for your interest in Bushwacker. Unfortunately, we do not offer any applications for the Dodge 5500. You may visit our facebook page at www.facebook.com/bushwacker where we monitor requests for new applications. Once again, thank you for your interest in Bushwacker.

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sincerely,

Matt Harter

Customer Care
Bushwacker, Inc.

[/FONT]

boblynch

Adventurer
The overall flatbed design was based on the idea of keeping the cabover portion of the camper as close as possible to the cab. Most stock flatbeds used 6-8" frames which would have placed a big gap between the camper and cab. To resolve this issue we needed the flatbed's center rails to be 2x4 and the supporting ladder structure to be 2x2. This worked well, but led to issues with the fuel filler which are discussed earlier in the thread. The setup works well for us and maximizes the available space while keeping the camper as close as possible to the cab.

Here's a sketch of the frame, with the 2x4 center rails the darker color.frame_dimensions.jpg

I don't recall the grade or thickness of tubing we used. It's probably on an invoice buried in my office somewhere. For a quicker answer contact Mike at Extreme Campers (expo member XtremeMike).

Hi Bob, can you provide any info about the steel used to build your flatbed? I am mainly wondering how thick the wall of the stock are but also overall dimensions as well as specifically what type of steel it is. Thanks for any help and the great thread.

dags

Adventurer
great information in this thread - How are you planning on dealing with the low sulphur fuel issue if you travel south of the border?

akmedic77

Just read this whole thread. Wow! I like the progress and the ideas that you have. I hope to have something similar to this someday! Thanks for sharing.

Question... Who did you use to insure the vehicle?

I am having a heck of a time trying to find good insurance for my new F550 Flatbed (that has been modified like yours).

racer3822

Observer
Statefarm insured mine for me. Its personal insurance but they might have used commercial rates because of the size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles