F550 Flatbed Build

jronwood

Adventurer
Good update, also they went to 10 bolt 19.5" rims at some point beyond 03, not sure when, but all mine are going to be the 8 bolt version.

Jronwood

jronwood

Adventurer
I just reread the whole thread, what a great truck. I want to make a similar lo-pro bed. I like the rear wheel "bump ups", I may do something similar. I want to keep it as low as possible. When I got my first 550 (2000) I put a 10k planer on it and went around the block, incredible truck, they wolves in sheeps clothing. I like the feel of a pickup but the weight capacity of a real truck.

Jronwood

boblynch

Adventurer
We're Back

Hey gang. I've been on a self-imposed ban from most of the internet for about 9 months. My family and I just got back from a great 3 week trip. Spent time on the coast of Maine, the North Woods, White Mountains, Green Mountains, and Central PA.

As usual we were on media blackout the whole trip so don't ask me any current events. I'll be digging into all of the cool ExPo happenings and great build threads I may have missed. For anyone that may have sent me a PM or question my humble apologies. Please resend and I promise to get back soon.

No changes to the rig lately, but we're back in design/improvement brainstorming mode. Hope everyone is well.

Bob

boblynch

Adventurer
A link to the build page from the guys that did the fab work is on page 8 of this thread. I'll also post a few pics of the bunk work if I can find any.

franks71vw

Great rig BOB, Looking to do something similar with my 3500 Silverado. Do you think going to such a larger platform (truck) was worth it? Currently, I am looking to do the rickson DWR to Singles. I am looking for a camper that won't make my truck any wider but dont mind making it a bit longer to fit more stuff. I guess I am starting from the wheels up. Any comment etc woudl be helpful.

pylon

Hey just looking for a little more info on what lift kit you used . fabetch offers a few different set ups for the 550 .would you do the same lift or something different ? Same question with the wheel and tire set up. Sweet looking truck !

boblynch

Adventurer
We just got back from a month long trip to the Southwest and the ride on mild washboards was very poor. I'm looking into rear end suspension upgrade/replacement options.

The wheel/tire setup of Rickson 20" wheels and Continental MPT81s were great. We are using the Fabtech 6" Radius Arm/4.0 Coilover Kit (w/ front and rear DirtLogic shocks). I wanted to go with 3-4" lift, but none was available at the time so we opted with a 6" lift. The front end of the Fabtech kit has been good. The rear portion of the kit (which uses the stock springs, a spacing block, and new shocks) has not met our needs. It looks like the Kelderman air-ride kit used on the Earthroamers may now be available. It was my first choice in 2009, but was not available then. I may also look into new rear springs (from Deaver Springs) and supplemental air bags. As soon as I finish unpacking I'll add a more detailed post.

D45

Explorer
I ran fabtech dirt logic shocks on my RAM ......the ride was horrible and all 4 shocks, even though they are rebuildable, were leaking, severely rusted and seized up within a year.Fabtech coils are also very harsh and a junk

Carlyle

Explorer
We just got back from a month long trip to the Southwest and the ride on mild washboards was very poor. I'm looking into rear end suspension upgrade/replacement options.

The wheel/tire setup of Rickson 20" wheels and Continental MPT81s were great. We are using the Fabtech 6" Radius Arm/4.0 Coilover Kit (w/ front and rear DirtLogic shocks). I wanted to go with 3-4" lift, but none was available at the time so we opted with a 6" lift. The front end of the Fabtech kit has been good. The rear portion of the kit (which uses the stock springs, a spacing block, and new shocks) has not met our needs. It looks like the Kelderman air-ride kit used on the Earthroamers may now be available. It was my first choice in 2009, but was not available then. I may also look into new rear springs (from Deaver Springs) and supplemental air bags. As soon as I finish unpacking I'll add a more detailed post.

I'll be very interested in what you come up with Bob.

Carl

Xfactor

Observer
Bob, a few questions if i may:)
1. what is the wear like on the conti's.
2. Also do you have detailed pics of the trimming required at the front in order to get the tires to fit.
3. What is the backspace or offset of the wheels, and what model of the ricksons are they?
4. Finally do you have a link on the front flares? And any idea if there is a gen 3 dodge version?

Thanks in advance!

Love the rig, it's been my inspiration for my build

boblynch

Adventurer
1. The MPTs are wearing evenly. I'll rotate them before our next big trip. They won't last as long as the OEM tires, but are much better suited to our application.
2. We used the front fender flares from Earthroamer as no others were available. We were in a rush to get on the road when they came in, so I didn't take detailed measurements and pics of the process.
3. The custom 20" Rickson wheels were designed so that they are reversible to allow me to carry a single spare. The front and rear track are now 79.5". With a 13.2" wide tire this puts the outside edge of the tires at 92.7". I would need to go back and check the drawings to determine the offset numbers. It will vary by truck and model year. Contact Rickson if you need help figuring it out for a specific truck.
4. Flares were from Earthroamer. They will build on a Dodge platform, though I'm not sure if anyone has ever ordered one. You may want to contact Bushwacker. They carry a wide range of fender flares, just not one for my model.

Bob

Bob, a few questions if i may:)
1. what is the wear like on the conti's.
2. Also do you have detailed pics of the trimming required at the front in order to get the tires to fit.
3. What is the backspace or offset of the wheels, and what model of the ricksons are they?
4. Finally do you have a link on the front flares? And any idea if there is a gen 3 dodge version?

Thanks in advance!

Love the rig, it's been my inspiration for my build

Xfactor

Observer
Hi Bob.

How many miles o you think you will you get out of the conti's?

What's a good source for them tires?

Also how the wheels balance out?

Any issues with vibrations?

Thanks again!!

boblynch

Adventurer
I'm hoping to get 25-35K miles out of the tires, but time will tell.

Contact the following office for nearest dealer to you. In 2009 the national sales manager was Philip Lannon 224-805-1144.
Continental Tire the Americas, LLC
1830 MacMillan Park Drive
Fort Mill, SC USA 29707
Phone: 01+877 235 0102

Dan at Rickson Wheels installed and balanced the tires on their custom rims. I have not had any vibration issues to date. Mine ride great.

Hi Bob.

How many miles o you think you will you get out of the conti's?

What's a good source for them tires?

Also how the wheels balance out?

Any issues with vibrations?

Thanks again!!

Carlyle

Explorer
1. The MPTs are wearing evenly. I'll rotate them before our next big trip. They won't last as long as the OEM tires, but are much better suited to our application.
2. We used the front fender flares from Earthroamer as no others were available. We were in a rush to get on the road when they came in, so I didn't take detailed measurements and pics of the process.
3. The custom 20" Rickson wheels were designed so that they are reversible to allow me to carry a single spare. The front and rear track are now 79.5". With a 13.2" wide tire this puts the outside edge of the tires at 92.7". I would need to go back and check the drawings to determine the offset numbers. It will vary by truck and model year. Contact Rickson if you need help figuring it out for a specific truck.
4. Flares were from Earthroamer. They will build on a Dodge platform, though I'm not sure if anyone has ever ordered one. You may want to contact Bushwacker. They carry a wide range of fender flares, just not one for my model.

Bob

Thanks,

I shot off an email to Bushwacker, hopefully they are able to set me up. There is no way I could get the 335's under my truck without a lift, these 275's barely fit. Glad you are getting even wear, beware of heat and those tires. They wear quickly on hot summer roads at highway speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94