F550 4x4 Custom Box Truck - Solid Base for Expedition Build -UPDATED & Price Reduced

F550 4x4 Custom Box Truck - Solid Base for Expedition Build -UPDATED & Price Reduced

2005 F550 4X4 Mobile Test Lab $18,995 Drivers side.jpg
Reduced to $17,995

The “Dirt Lab”
Apple Valley, CA
Background History: This unit was built to order for BJ Oilfield Services to act as a mobile environmental services to the petroleum industry. The truck was delivered as a cab and chassis to General Truck body in Houston Texas where the build was completed. General Truck Body has been building custom units like this since 1917. By the time the dust settled, this unit costs BJ Services about $150,000, about $60,000 for the truck and $90,000 for the box. Why should any of this matter to you? For one thing, no company is going to pay $90,000 for a box that is not exceptionally well built. Time is money in the oilfields, so breakdowns are not acceptable. The box must also be able to withstand extreme temperatures, minus 50 to plus 120. No matter what you choose to do with this unit, you can bet that it will be up to the task.Passengers side
DSC05824.jpg

Existing rear counters and cabinetsDSC05821.jpg

Our Project Plans:
We purchased this unit with the idea of converting it to a Back-country/Over-lander type vehicle.

Why we are selling it:
My wife’s health has collapsed and it appears that our travels to remote areas are over.
wonderful built in upper and lower cabinetspassengers front.jpg

The Cab and Chassis:
A 2005 Ford F550 four wheel drive single cab. Engine: 6.0 turbo Diesel. The transfer case is engaged by a shift lever on the floor. The front locking hubs are manual Ford units. Running gear is stock Ford with a Dana super 60 in the front and an Dana 110 in the rear. gearing is 4:88. This is a dually configuration running 225/70/19.5 tires. The four tires in the rear are Michelin XDS’s with a moderate all terrain tread, while the fronts are Hercules with a standard highway tread.

Condition of the Cab and Chassis:
Mileage:121,104 All systems are in good working order. In January, 2011 just before the truck went out of service, the motor was replaced with a jasper rebuilt, ID#937948. I talked with the shop in Wyoming that did the install and as part of the install a new oil cooler and EGR cooler were also installed. As bet as I can determine, there are about 7,000 miles on the new motor. After an examination by a local shop, the thermostatically controlled cooling fan was found to be faulty and replaced—a $510.00 part from Ford. Ouch!

Box and Current Equipment:
Size: 15ft long, 8ft wide, 7ft high
Windows:
There are (4) dual pane windows in the main box, and (2) smaller windows. Two of the larger windows and one of the larger windows has lost its seal and will need to be replaced. You would probably want to do this anyway as the windows are not designed to open.
Exterior Bay Doors: (8) Ranging from small to one very large door for the generator bay.
Counter and Cabinets: There are counters and cabinets already in place that could be used as is or moved to a different location.
There is a small sink with a 49 gal stainless steel grey water tank
The fresh water tank is 35 gal, also stainless steel
ELECTRICAL:
-2500 watt Xantrex converter
-Provision for (1) 12v house battery
-Automotive type stereo unit
-Roof Air Conditioner
-Red Dot Dual fan heater that connects to the truck radiator
-Comprehensive generator control panel with remote monitor panel for the Xantrex converter
-12v fuse panel with (6) circuits
-220v panel with 10 circuit breakers
-*Complete electrical schematic provided by General Truck Body

What I don’t know about the electrical system and why:UPDATE: The electrical all works!We were able to connect the 12v. We powered it up and everything works!! Very exciting! The inverter works well. We were able to identify all of the 10 circuit breakers, and test each system. The lights under the cabinets are great. The a/c pumps out cold air, however the electric wall heater does not work, easy to replace. The lights come on, so it is getting power.
Unlike a normal RV system, this until was not designed to use 110v shore power. The truck would be driven to a well site and then operated on 220v supplied by a large diesel generator. UNFORTUNATELY THE GENERATOR HAD BEEN REMOVED PRIOR TO OUR PURCHASE. This means that instead of the 110v panel that you would find in an RV you have a 220v panel just like you would find in your house. My problem is that I have not been able to power up the system as I do not have a 220v source. Since I have not been able to power up the system, I can not verify the condition of the components. what I can verify is that the wiring seems to be intact. I have run continuity checks on some of the circuits with satisfactory results. Also, the wiring corresponds to the schematic provided by the builder.

Please Call ED for any questions at 909-205-1013 OR 760-240-8137

2005 F550 4X4 Mobile Test Lab $18,995

Attachments

• water tank w plumbing.jpg
    water tank w plumbing.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 525
  • corner control panel.jpg
    corner control panel.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 513
  • passenger rear.jpg
    passenger rear.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Passengers side.jpg
    Passengers side.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 4,557
Last edited:

Woodsman

Adventurer
I feel silly asking it but am wondering what kind of mileage this rig gets on the highway. I mean, I am familiar with diesel pickups and their mileage but this is a heavier chassis with basically a big flat air-dam.

wesel123

Explorer
I saw this beast in person. Super clean and the seller is a great guy. Buyer will not be disappointed.

We bought this vehicle in Denver and drove it back to Southern California. During the drive we averaged 11.33MPG. Typical highway speed was 60-65mph. The gear ratio on this unit is 4:88 and the weight as it now sits is 13,420lbs. As a comparison, my 2004 F350 with a 10ft Lance camper weighs 11,600lbs. It carries a 3:73 gear ratio and usually delivers about 11.5 mpg. I was surprised at our mileage during the trip. I think that the higher gear ratio might have play a part, as it was easy to keep the RPM's at about 2,000 which is the sweet spot for the 6.0 engine.

Sale of box

Thanks for the inquiry. Due to health reasons we need to sell the whole unit. At this point I can't see splitting it up, but who knows in the future. Please feel free to contact us in the future if you are still interested.

Price Reduced to $17995

Ford F-550---Combines massive running gear and chassis to achieve a Gross Vehicle Weight of 20,000 lbs

Four Wheel Drive---Factory Four Wheel Drive system features lockable front hubs.

6.0 liter Diesel engine---apx 6,000mi on rebuild by Jasper engine rebuilders. Rebuild included new oil cooler and EGR cooler.

General Truck Body---General truck body of Huston Texas has been building vehicles like these for the oil exploration industry since 1915. These units feature all weather construction and were used in the cold of Alaska to the heat of the Middle East. The cost of the box alone exceeded $90,000.
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

MTAA

Adventurer
I'm presuming this vehicle sold? Curious to know how you came across it. Where did you look?

I bought a 2004 last year I was planning on outfitting. Looks like this exact set up but I do still have the working diesel generator and only 97k miles. i also bought a 2000 Provan Tiger that I came across last year and am considering selling the F550. If there's any interest I can start a for sale thread. Price would be similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior