F450 4x4 adventure.

fly4food

Fellow Adventure 4 owners as well … thanks for all the updates on the build … vovka1 … I’m the guy that chatted with you at Les Schwab in Mount Vernon … your rig looks great … do you mind sharing where you sourced the window for the door?

thanks!

vovka1

How have I not found this thread sooner? Love the rig and the mods, we’re also quad 4 owners and are up on Snoqualmie. Haven’t done quite as much as you so far but would love to compare notes and copy some ideas. This weekend I’m out at Allen’s Bar on the Hoh River, having 4wd and some ground clearance helps get out away from the masses.

Hey thanks. lad to see there is more of them out here. i need to update this thread with some more info. i did a rear track bar and some interior mods/improvements. House projects have kept me busy this summer a bit.

vovka1

Fellow Adventure 4 owners as well … thanks for all the updates on the build … vovka1 … I’m the guy that chatted with you at Les Schwab in Mount Vernon … your rig looks great … do you mind sharing where you sourced the window for the door?

thanks!

Hey I remember you. Thanks hows urs coming along? did u get to replace the battery tray? I think thats what we spoke about.
I bought it on amazon "AP Products 015-201512 Slim Shade" is the one i have its about $75 now.

vovka1

So I read up on rear track bars and because I could not find a kit available I decided to make my own. I bought a adjustable track bar and grade 8 bolts from tractor supply and got some metal for brackets.
brackets are welded in one on the frame and one directly to the rear axle housing.
I set the airbags to my normal ride pressure and adjusted the bar length to fit the welded brackets and bolted it down. All in all it was super cheap like $34 and a kit like this (Bolt On) for a Chevy chassis is like $760 lol. My kit actually has a longer bar then a bolt on kit would so I think incase of any unlikely case of big suspension flex it wont push the axle to the side as much as a shorter kit would.

So this did not totally fix my rear waging tale problem but it does help for sure. My next step is upgrading the leaf springs. According to ford dealer who searched my vin number my stock leaf springs 5400 pound are almost maxed out and with out any air in airbags are always sitting on the helper springs (stock helper springs are 1300 pounds of help). Having an F450 only one leaf spring available from factory for the F550 cab and chassis 3 different weight leaf springs available and from my research they are all bolt on. I am thinking to go from 5400 pound spring to to 5900 pound spring and that should give me the extra 1000 pounds left over. will see. rear axle comes in at 10,800 LB

IMG_20210425_151754.jpgIMG_20210504_202552.jpgIMG_20210505_144900.jpgIMG_20210504_202621.jpgIMG_20210505_144915.jpgIMG_20210505_144915.jpg

Last edited:

Addict

AWESOME thread. We just bought one of these 1-2 months ago. Love many of the mods you've done, will use this for a reference!

@fly4food + @vovka1 - I set up a Facebook group for just Adventurer 4 Quad owners. I'll message you the link to it. Only a couple of us in there right now but hoping to grow it.

@Pokeyt - looks like you're already there! Recognized the rig in the photo. <smile>

vovka1

AWESOME thread. We just bought one of these 1-2 months ago. Love many of the mods you've done, will use this for a reference!

@fly4food + @vovka1 - I set up a Facebook group for just Adventurer 4 Quad owners. I'll message you the link to it. Only a couple of us in there right now but hoping to grow it.

@Pokeyt - looks like you're already there! Recognized the rig in the photo. <smile>

Thanks. more to come.
I am working on a larger 12v refrigerator (stock fridge in these kinda sucks) and aux fuel tank that will fit between the frame rails in front of rear axle. so stay tuned in.
also already purchased storage boxes for the rear bumper this is going to take some time to get too.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

A few things I'm wondering about your rig . .
1. What model year is the F450?
2. Total suspension lift over stock (not including tire size upgrades)
3. Stock gear ratio or final gearing upgrade

Also, if you don't mind sharing the make/brand of the rear trackbar (maybe a website link) that you custom-installed

tehhippy

Following thread and very jealous. Seems like the perfect rig for my family - if they were only easier to find! Message me if anyone decides to sell or sees one for sale please!

vovka1

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

A few things I'm wondering about your rig . .
1. What model year is the F450?
2. Total suspension lift over stock (not including tire size upgrades)
3. Stock gear ratio or final gearing upgrade

Also, if you don't mind sharing the make/brand of the rear trackbar (maybe a website link) that you custom-installed

1. 2014 according to the door sticker
2. about 3 inches that all u need to fit 40's but i do need to cut the fender and bumper a bit
3. still stock gear ratio what ever comes on Cab and chassis i think there is only 1 or maybe 2 different once i don't remember what it is. Drives fine i dont feel under powered but then i am on vacation when i drive it so i am in no hurry. if i need to pass its no problem

Track bar from tractor supply its a local store. I believe u can buy it on their website too.

zidaro

Explorer
Nice Rig! Great thread ill be following.

Your rear axle looks to be the 10lug S110 which under the F550 CC would be a 4.88 ratio with a LS.
Im assuming your front is the Wide D60 10 lug. Did you just add spacers? or was your front hub an 8lug originally?

Im not as cool as you guys with your Adventurers:D, but this Summer I picked up a Host300TS F550 4x4. 2010 Model with the 4x4 6.4L Diesel
Currently running OEM Alcoa 19.5" with Toyo M143 Hwy tires. 32x9.9 Plan is to clearance wheel wells, lift a lil. Add SRW 40"s with DBL Beadlocks. Lots of other stuff as i get to it.

vovka1

Thanks you too have a nice rig.

It was originally 10 lug S110 rear and wide front axle I used 10x225 to 10x285 adapters for these wheels.

I saw one like urs for sale on auto trader with the 40" tires already and it looks great but rear is a very tight fit u dont have much to cut out over there.

I really like the Host looked in to them i like how they are a loaded version of the f550 not like my XLT but i do have the 6.7L and that was way more important to me. i am scared of that 6.4L
If you document ur build let me know ill follow along

Nice Rig! Great thread ill be following.

Your rear axle looks to be the 10lug S110 which under the F550 CC would be a 4.88 ratio with a LS.
Im assuming your front is the Wide D60 10 lug. Did you just add spacers? or was your front hub an 8lug originally?

Im not as cool as you guys with your Adventurers:D, but this Summer I picked up a Host300TS F550 4x4. 2010 Model with the 4x4 6.4L Diesel
Currently running OEM Alcoa 19.5" with Toyo M143 Hwy tires. 32x9.9 Plan is to clearance wheel wells, lift a lil. Add SRW 40"s with DBL Beadlocks. Lots of other stuff as i get to it.

vovka1

Wow it's been 2 years. So many things have happened in life since I started this build it's crazy. I didn't do a lot to the rig but did add a 2nd fuel tank. Its an aluminum tank that I modified to fit and a transfer pump to fill the original tank.
We bought land building a house and moved so RV build is on hold. I still plan on modifying rear bumper and adding storage boxes on a swivel. Will see when that can happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles