F350 Suspension with Flatbed and Fulltime Camper

eyemgh

I have a couple of other posts (Best Platform and Liquid Spring), but this is sufficiently different enough that I think it warrants it's own post.

If you haven't read the others, the truck is a 2022 F350 Super Cab (7.3/4.30) with a 146" wheelbase. It was ordered with the camper package (mainly for the sticker), FX4 (for the skid plates) and a factory winch. It will be outfitted with a flatbed with upper and lower boxes and a Hallmark K2 (dry 1260, max loaded 2400) that will live on it almost full time. We'll upsize from 32s to 35s.

I was (maybe still am) intrigued with Liquid Spring, because it will (if it isn't having problems :ROFLMAO:) articulate well AND reduce roll, two problems generally at odds. Since expense and complexity will likely prevent that, I'm looking at traditional suspensions options. I don't want bags because we use the vehicle a lot in the winter.

I'm thinking a Deaver pack with 2.5" reservoir shocks that can be tuned would be the way to go. We'd just put up with the jounce the rare times we unload it (for reference our FWC has never been off. Besides Carli, I don't know what brands are best and what parts are really necessary. For example can we just stay with stock radius arm? Would we want t torsion sway bar with a camper or just the standard OEM sway bar?

I'm really hoping to learn more about the pros and cons of suspension choices.

Thanks!

BretEdge

Adventurer
We have a 2021 F250 Tremor on 37's with a FWC Hawk UTE permanently mounted to a Norweld Deluxe Weekender tray. I replaced the factory suspension with a Carli Pintop kit including the sway bar drop links (but not the Carli sway bar or steering stabilizers...yet) and had Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, CO build a custom leaf pack for the rear. This setup has no issues supporting the weight and has been incredible in both on and offroad conditions. Significantly less roll than factory, amazing ride quality in every type of road condition and zero issues over the last 10,000+ miles. Our rig isn't a pavement princess, nor is it confined to forest service roads. A couple weekends ago we drove five of the high passes in the San Juan mountains and the truck felt better offroad than literally every other rig I've had, all of which have had higher end suspensions (King, Radflo, Old Man Emu and Bilstein). I can't recommend the Carli Pintop enough for this application.

We don't have the Carli radius arms and won't upgrade to them. I just don't see the value in it. They look cool and I'm sure they provide some enhanced function but for us, not enough to justify the expense. As mentioned, we don't yet have the sway bar or steering stabilizers but we will likely add them at some point when finances allow for it.

Here's a couple photos of our rig in some mellower terrain. We live in Moab and travel all over the West on a regular basis, and we always look for the roads that are likely to discourage the riff raff, i.e. motorhomes, trailer draggers, vanlifers. Those roads are usually rougher and you never really know what you're getting yourself into, so having an overbuilt rig is important to us. That goes for the suspension, too.

Attachments

• Ford F250 Overland Vehicle Splashes Through Muddy Water in Pothole on Buffalo Park 4x4 Road.jpg
    Ford F250 Overland Vehicle Splashes Through Muddy Water in Pothole on Buffalo Park 4x4 Road.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Overlanding Rig Descending Ophir Pass.jpg
    Overlanding Rig Descending Ophir Pass.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168

eyemgh

We have a 2021 F250 Tremor on 37's with a FWC Hawk UTE permanently mounted to a Norweld Deluxe Weekender tray. I replaced the factory suspension with a Carli Pintop kit including the sway bar drop links (but not the Carli sway bar or steering stabilizers...yet) and had Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, CO build a custom leaf pack for the rear. This setup has no issues supporting the weight and has been incredible in both on and offroad conditions. Significantly less roll than factory, amazing ride quality in every type of road condition and zero issues over the last 10,000+ miles. Our rig isn't a pavement princess, nor is it confined to forest service roads. A couple weekends ago we drove five of the high passes in the San Juan mountains and the truck felt better offroad than literally every other rig I've had, all of which have had higher end suspensions (King, Radflo, Old Man Emu and Bilstein). I can't recommend the Carli Pintop enough for this application.

We don't have the Carli radius arms and won't upgrade to them. I just don't see the value in it. They look cool and I'm sure they provide some enhanced function but for us, not enough to justify the expense. As mentioned, we don't yet have the sway bar or steering stabilizers but we will likely add them at some point when finances allow for it.

Here's a couple photos of our rig in some mellower terrain. We live in Moab and travel all over the West on a regular basis, and we always look for the roads that are likely to discourage the riff raff, i.e. motorhomes, trailer draggers, vanlifers. Those roads are usually rougher and you never really know what you're getting yourself into, so having an overbuilt rig is important to us. That goes for the suspension, too.

Sweet! Cool Rig!

I figured I'd do exactly what you did, but add both the upper and lower steering stabilizer and a Deaver, since they're close to us. I can't remember who it was, but someone at CJC or Carli said they didn't recommend the sway upgrade with a camper anyway.

We do similar terrain, some freeway, some gravel, and little bit of technical.

Thanks!

Alloy

I use our air system all winter without issues.
Lots of water drains and an air dryer.

FYI Camper package add a sway bar.
The strongest part of the FX4 package on the 2022 trucks is the stickers on the box.20211008_131531.jpg

eyemgh

I use our air system all winter without issues.
Lots of water drains and an air dryer.

FYI Camper package add a sway bar.
The strongest part of the FX4 package on the 2022 trucks is the stickers on the box.View attachment 686296

The funny thing is we're pulling the bed, and thus the sticker off anyway! :ROFLMAO: I wanted the FX4 for the skid plates (which might be lame), hill descent feature (which may also turn out to be lame), but mostly because I thought the E rates BSW tires and wheels would be easier to sell once I switch to 35s.

I bought the camper package for the glove box sticker and rear sway bar. The spendi Carli is softer and allows more articulation at the expense of roll.

eyemgh

The Icon CDEV is intriguing. It purports to combine much of what I like about Liquid Spring, mainly on the fly adaptability, with the simplicity of coil overs. ?

tacollie

Glamper
I pieced my kit together. I did Carli springs, reservoir mounts, ss brake lines, and sway bar links. I used the Icon track because it's easier to adjust on the truck. I did Accutune Fox DSC shocks. I wanted them tuned for my truck and I want knobs to turn. I was going to use Radflo but my buddy was putting together an order with Accutune and I figured I would help him. I'll get leafs from Alcan once our flatbed is built and I weigh it. Alcan is in Colorado and I've used them on other trucks. Deaver is tempting as they have off the shelf options that I think would work for us. Hopefully starting the flatbed next week!

My only issue is the Carli sway bar links are huge and contact the springs on occasion. Carli said that happens sometimes and to add the sway bar drop brackets.

eyemgh

I pieced my kit together. I did Carli springs, reservoir mounts, ss brake lines, and sway bar links. I used the Icon track because it's easier to adjust on the truck. I did Accutune Fox DSC shocks. I wanted them tuned for my truck and I want knobs to turn. I was going to use Radflo but my buddy was putting together an order with Accutune and I figured I would help him. I'll get leafs from Alcan once our flatbed is built and I weigh it. Alcan is in Colorado and I've used them on other trucks. Deaver is tempting as they have off the shelf options that I think would work for us. Hopefully starting the flatbed next week!

My only issue is the Carli sway bar links are huge and contact the springs on occasion. Carli said that happens sometimes and to add the sway bar drop brackets.

who is doing your flatbed?:D

i like the idea of adjustably. I was intrigued by is being automated, but not by the cost or decreased reliability. I generally drop pressure when I’m off road anyway, so what’s a few extra knob clicks? I’ll look into that combo. (y)

tacollie

Glamper
who is doing your flatbed?:D

i like the idea of adjustably. I was intrigued by is being automated, but not by the cost or decreased reliability. I generally drop pressure when I’m off road anyway, so what’s a few extra knob clicks? I’ll look into that combo. (y)
I wanted to have some adjustability for load differences. A trip to visit family is a lot lighter than a back country trip with a bunch of water.

My brother and I are building the flatbed. I've been waiting for him to have a week off. I have a big tig welder but his spool gun would really speed things up. Plus he's built a lot of flatbeds.

eyemgh

I wanted to have some adjustability for load differences. A trip to visit family is a lot lighter than a back country trip with a bunch of water.

My brother and I are building the flatbed. I've been waiting for him to have a week off. I have a big tig welder but his spool gun would really speed things up. Plus he's built a lot of flatbeds.

If I could do that, I would! In the absence of any skill on my part though, we ordered a Bowen. Brent does very nice work, and it’s so close to Hallmark that the integration should be very clean.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Check out our build for ideas...

You might consider removing your front sway bar with tuned 2.5" shocks. We removed ours and much prefer the handling. Sway bars can help keep the truck level on road cornering... but they also induce sway off road or any uneven terrain and limit suspension travel. Just disconnect and see what you think.

Also the Fox ATS steering stabilizer is vastly superior to the Carli setup: adjustable, mounted up high (factory location) and performs similar to dual stabilizers.

Leaf springs built for the weight is the best option! Go Deaver. :)

rruff

Explorer
We have a 2021 F250 Tremor on 37's with a FWC Hawk UTE permanently mounted to a Norweld Deluxe Weekender tray. I replaced the factory suspension with a Carli Pintop kit including the sway bar drop links (but not the Carli sway bar or steering stabilizers...yet) and had Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, CO build a custom leaf pack for the rear. This setup has no issues supporting the weight and has been incredible in both on and offroad conditions.

You have no rear sway... is there one in the front?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Also the Fox ATS steering stabilizer is vastly superior to the Carli setup: adjustable, mounted up high (factory location) and performs similar to dual stabilizers.

Leaf springs built for the weight is the best option! Go Deaver. :)

I agree with this 100%. I have the Fox 2.0 ATS on my RAM 3500 and it's a much better solution to the kit Carli offers, I've had both so I can honestly say that from first hand experience. And Deaver would be my go to for springs as well.

rruff

Explorer
You might consider removing your front sway bar with tuned 2.5" shocks. We removed ours and much prefer the handling. Sway bars can help keep the truck level on road cornering... but they also induce sway off road or any uneven terrain and limit suspension travel. Just disconnect and see what you think.

How is locating the lower rear shock mounts up a couple inches working out? Seems like a great idea on the Superduty.

eyemgh

I've located a very experienced, brand agnostic suspension guy, relatively close to home. YEA! He's a dealer for all the big names, including Carli and Deaver. So, If you were building a Super Duty ala carte, knowing it would carry 2000ish pounds 99.9% of the time, how would you do it? I like the idea of adjustable shocks, because we take time to adjust the air pressure anyway. I don't know who offers adjustability. I'm a noob/newbie to all this so I appreciate the guidance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94