F250 Vs Suburban Vs Van

98dango

Expedition Leader
So my super duty and suburban have not had a lot of camping use this year. We have done 1 over night in the suburban and used the super duty 2 times to take the 5th wheel.

My wife a friend and myself just got back from a 4500 mile trip in Subaru ( never again). It was fun but we definitely missed our rigs . A lot of talk about a van happened. Which brings me to our question.

We are going to semi dedicate a rig to travel camping. I have 3 options.

#1 2000 5.4 super duty lifted on 285s-38-15.50s. This truck is fun but big. We used to have a topper and a sleeping platform. Then we got a 5th wheel had to sell the topper. We honestly don't use the 5th wheel that much. But this is my only truck to tow it.

#2 1992 Gmc Surburban 5.7 3/4 ton 8lug. Stock other than winch

#3 buy a van

We talk about a van because we can stand up in it. I could do a pop top on the suburban to get this as well. Also with a van do we go big van as we have 2-3 big rigs or do I look at a Astro or Arostar van.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd go with the Superduty.

I don't see how a 'burb or fullsize van would be any smaller? Maybe in length, but when has that ever stopped us. The truck has tons of cargo room in the back and plenty of seating because of the crew cab. We never used all the seats in a van.

I don't get why you need to stand up in anything? You're not dancing in your rig. Jump in, go to sleep, that's all I do. But that's from an ultralight hiker used to changing clothes in a Shires tarp tent laying down. Being that a decent Mountain Hardware tent can be put up in about 4 minutes, there's no shame in bringing it along. That's what I do when I need tons of room. Toss out my big tent.

Take it for what it is worth but I recently went from a very nice 1st gen double cab Tacoma to a regular body e350. I can't go to as many places in the van but I am much more comfortable and really enjoy the ability to stealth camp in a real bed in a parking lot without anyone around knowing. So my vote is obviously the van. If you are on a budget and absolutely need 4WD then I would suggest option one or two.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would keep your super duty, sell the 5th wheel and buy a slide in camper for the rear. Lance makes really nice ones. The 5th wheel should offset that cost. Add some suspension upgrades to take the weight and go exploring.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I am not allowed to sell the 5th wheel. It is my home 4 months out of the year. Standing up to change is nice and makes the wife happy. We used the super duty and a topper for 3 years. Problem being she can't sit up not a happy time. We also do 85% of our trips in snow or rain by choice. So more inside space is nice. I can and will make any thing 4x4. I don't need it for deep exploration but dose need to get to where we need it to. Moab and Colorado silverton area is our favorite. We also have a samurai and a built Comanche if we need to get out and about.

driller

old soul wanderer
How do you use the suburban on a daily basis? If you don't use it regularly sell it and just get a camper for the super duty. I can pull my northstar pop up and change over to the fifth wheel in less than an hour. Gives me the best of both. WP_20150804_001.jpgDSCN5711.JPG

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm really worried about getting a camper where we go. My 5th wheel has 15" of lift and is only 23' long from pin to bumper.

driller

old soul wanderer
The only limitation i have run into is height. If the truck can fit the camper really isn't much of a problem. When I'm going on harder trails or thick trees I will usually pull the A/C off the roof before the trip. Have had to cut a few branches but really doesn't happen to often.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Get an excursion! Put a high roof on it or a pop up. An Excursion is basically an F250 but with a full body on it. I think they would make a great platform for a pop up. And they come with a solid front axle and you can find some with great gearing if you find the right package.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Get an excursion! Put a high roof on it or a pop up. An Excursion is basically an F250 but with a full body on it. I think they would make a great platform for a pop up. And they come with a solid front axle and you can find some with great gearing if you find the right package.

I already own a f250 and a suburban no need to buy and excursion plus my wife would steel it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94