F250: New or Old, which would you choose?

BackcountryAggie

I've got two F250s, a 2002 7.3 and a 2015 6.7. I used the 7.3 as my ranch truck/DD for years, it got me through college, and is now my everyday work truck. The 6.7 is in many ways leaps and bounds better than the 7.3, but it's a cream puff and doesn't have a scratch on it.

My dilemma is this, I'm trying to decide which should be my go-to truck for my overlanding rig?

Should I throw money at parts for a 15 year old truck that's already scratched and dented, but is still reliable, or a 2 year old truck that's pristine and runs off sensors and computers? The 6.7 still has year of bumper-to-bumper warranty and 80,000 miles until drivetrain warranty is out, so deleting it and getting rid of all the emissions isn't an option.

Here's the specs on both:

2002 7.3 4x4, 212,000 miles
-Lariat CCSB, auto trans
-2" springs, 315/75/16 KO2
-stock diffs, 3.73s
-intake, exhaust, gauges, custom tuned
-ARE camper shell
-custom front bumper

2015 6.7 4x4, 20,000 miles
-Lariat CCSB
-stock everything
-rear locker, 3.55s
-35x12.50r17 Toyo MT, Method wheels

If you had the choice, would you put your money into the 7.3 or the 6.7?

Last edited:

SteelSaguaro

By the way you wrote your post it sounds to me like you already have your answer. It really comes down to what type of over landing you like to do.

I have a '15 350 and no way would I care to destroy the paint banging through the brush. If you are more of an open country/longer trips type, then it's not hard to determine the 6.7 is a much better rig

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Less computers and no DEF would be my choice. My paid off '05 was stolen in San Antonio and I replaced it with a 2011 that had to be financed. I'd much rather have the '05 back. I get a little better mileage with the '11 but more things to go wrong. I'm going to have to replace the DEF pump pretty quick as it's throwing Check Engine codes and that'll be close to $1000. The difference in performance isn't enough to make me want the newer vs the older.

malibubts

Adventurer
If you are more of an open country/longer trips type, then it's not hard to determine the 6.7 is a much better rig

I think this is most important and deciding factor. Wide open forest roads or open rock trails, go with the '15. But if you are looking to go on tight trails and do some more rock crawling type of adventures I'd go with the '02. I know the 7.3 is worshiped as the gold standard and everyone hates electronics and emissions equipment (for good reason), but the newer rig will handle better on the roads and most likely require less work. My guess is you'll also appreciate the nicer seats and interior features of the '15 too.

The '02 also seems to have a few more mods. Something to consider is would you want any of that on the '15? Do you plan on sleeping under the camper shell or want a tune, that's another few thousand to get the '15 to the same spot.

Based on engine alone I don't think anyone will choose 6.7 over the 7.3. But there are a lot of other factors to consider, that I think mostly depend on how you want to overland.

BackcountryAggie

I think this is most important and deciding factor. Wide open forest roads or open rock trails, go with the '15. But if you are looking to go on tight trails and do some more rock crawling type of adventures I'd go with the '02. I know the 7.3 is worshiped as the gold standard and everyone hates electronics and emissions equipment (for good reason), but the newer rig will handle better on the roads and most likely require less work. My guess is you'll also appreciate the nicer seats and interior features of the '15 too.

The '02 also seems to have a few more mods. Something to consider is would you want any of that on the '15? Do you plan on sleeping under the camper shell or want a tune, that's another few thousand to get the '15 to the same spot.

Based on engine alone I don't think anyone will choose 6.7 over the 7.3. But there are a lot of other factors to consider, that I think mostly depend on how you want to overland.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

This is the question I keep going back to. I've used the 02 as an all-around rig and DD for a while, so I've kept it fairly mild in terms of a build, but it's covered in scratches from South Texas mesquite and hail dents on every panel, so it dropped in value on looks alone for a potential sale. When I bought the 15, I planned on making it my all around rig and selling the 02, but after figuring what I'll actually get for it, I just decided to keep them both.

I just paid off the 15, so the build budget for either one is gaining traction again, I've just got to decide which one to go with. The 15 rides 1000x better than the 02, but if I decide to use the 02, I'll either get Atlas springs all the way around or possibly an 05+ axle swap to get coils.

The issue I keep coming back to is that everything I've done on the 02 as a performance mod, the 15 already has. It took 2" springs, F350 blocks in the rear, and Bilstein shocks to fit 35s that still rubbed on the 02, but the 15 fit the 35s stock. All the bolt ons to the 7.3 still didn't bring it anywhere near the power and drive-ability of the 15. Plus the sound system, navigation, and AC seats on the 15 are a nice upgrade as well, not to mention the rear locker.

I have no problem spending the money on the 02 to get it on par with the 15, I'm just wondering if y'all think it's worth it in the end. I know plenty of people overland in both new and old, it's just hard to make the decision when it's staring me in the face.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd rather drill holes in and put 'desert pinstripes' on the older vehicle.

Why I went with an '02 Burb a couple years ago. Have no reluctance to modify it any way I care to.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My neighbor sold his 7.3 w/300K on it.
Three transmissions,injectors etc. and a bucket of oil a week convinced him it was time to upgrade.
The new ones have a 5.5' tighter turning radius. He's got the SuperCrew longbed. Sucker's nearly as long as his front yard.
"This thing's one big computer" was his comment to me.

BackcountryAggie

My neighbor sold his 7.3 w/300K on it.
Three transmissions,injectors etc. and a bucket of oil a week convinced him it was time to upgrade.
The new ones have a 5.5' tighter turning radius. He's got the SuperCrew longbed. Sucker's nearly as long as his front yard.
"This thing's one big computer" was his comment to me.

To be honest, I've thought about selling the 7.3 for the last few months and getting a truck exactly like yours. I've always wanted a single cab for the shorter length and wheelbase and I'd love to get a coil sprung front end. The problem is they're all so expensive here in Texas.

Keep the old one, the new crap is just that crap. I have an 11 f250 with the 6.7l and motor is great everything around it is garbage. I have 115k miles and nothing but problems from no high beams fixed twice still no go, got a death wobble that for the life of me (literally) cant figure out what the issue is, eats brakes. Love the motor hate the truck.

Having driven a 7.3 for 16 years and a 6.7 for 2-1/2 now, there's no hesitancy. As much as I liked my 7.3, the 6.7 is a better, more powerful, more comfortable truck. I sold the 7.3 for 40% of what I paid when new.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Keep the old one, the new crap is just that crap. I have an 11 f250 with the 6.7l and motor is great everything around it is garbage. I have 115k miles and nothing but problems from no high beams fixed twice still no go, got a death wobble that for the life of me (literally) cant figure out what the issue is, eats brakes. Love the motor hate the truck.

Death Wobble, super easy fix. If your track bar is fine, just lower your caster 1deg, done deal

Happens from bumps, replaced most everything in front end it's better but not gone. I'll look into doing that. If that works from the bottom of my heart thank you!
Death Wobble, super easy fix. If your track bar is fine, just lower your caster 1deg, done deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz