F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package?

BAM298

I searched for the HDPP when buying my 2019 F-150 earlier this year but once I discovered it was only sold with chrome bumpers I dropped the search and set out to find the most payload I could find in a truck I actually liked what it looked like and that was priced well. Bought a 2019 crew cab 6.5ft bed w/ 1901 payload a few months back. Doesn't get as good of mileage as my 2.7 did being a 5.0 but I'm still happy with it and it handles my FWC just fine. I actually test drove a superduty before buying another F-150 but couldn't live with the rough ride everyday.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I searched for the HDPP when buying my 2019 F-150 earlier this year but once I discovered it was only sold with chrome bumpers I dropped the search and set out to find the most payload I could find in a truck I actually liked what it looked like and that was priced well. Bought a 2019 crew cab 6.5ft bed w/ 1901 payload a few months back. Doesn't get as good of mileage as my 2.7 did being a 5.0 but I'm still happy with it and it handles my FWC just fine. I actually test drove a superduty before buying another F-150 but couldn't live with the rough ride everyday.
That's funny. I have the Sport package on mine, but think next time around I want chrome. My painted bumpers are starting to look like poo with all the rock chips. I see many trucks around here with rusty painted bumpers due to rock chips. Other option I came up with is to do a fine textured body colored rock guard on the bumpers and under the bodyline.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I just used the "Build Your Truck" tool at Ford.com and a 2020 F150 XLT, 3.5L EcoBoost, HDPP, and a couple other selections makes it a $50,000+ truck.

Truck pricing is really weird. I went through a bunch of exercises trying to spec out a truck for a slide-in camper and found that in multiple cases, building a more basic 3/4-ton truck was cheaper by a long shot than up-speccing a 1/2-ton truck to take the payload I needed. And that was before all the incentives and pricing BS, just straight MSRP comparison.

Don't get me wrong, you can still "build" a very expensive truck either way, but the lesson I learned (especially since realistically I'd prefer to shop used vs. order new), was that I should cast a wider net and include 3/4-ton trucks instead of limiting myself to very specifically optioned 1/2-tons.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Truck pricing is really weird. I went through a bunch of exercises trying to spec out a truck for a slide-in camper and found that in multiple cases, building a more basic 3/4-ton truck was cheaper by a long shot than up-speccing a 1/2-ton truck to take the payload I needed. And that was before all the incentives and pricing BS, just straight MSRP comparison.

Don't get me wrong, you can still "build" a very expensive truck either way, but the lesson I learned (especially since realistically I'd prefer to shop used vs. order new), was that I should cast a wider net and include 3/4-ton trucks instead of limiting myself to very specifically optioned 1/2-tons.
Keep in mind the website price isn’t the dealer price. Example my 2019 Expedition was $84,000 at its speced out format. I paid $72,000. I’m a used car guy my self but my last 5 trucks were used purchases all had prior owner induced issues that I had to eventually address or decide to ignore. So this time I bought new. Not my preference but I paid for not having prior owner issues.

Having said that Pickups in the US are the most prolific vehicle of any other type. So if you buy used the pickup is the best choice you literally have millions to choose from lol

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Keep in mind the website price isn’t the dealer price.

Agreed, but that's all the more reason to keep 3/4 ton trucks on your radar. In my experience, the best out-the-door pricing from the dealer happens when you're taking inventory off their hands, not when they're custom ordering for you. If your needs can be met by either a very specific set of options on a 1/2-ton, or a more generic 3/4-ton build, you're more likely to come to good terms on the more "common" build.

How many HDPP F-150s will a given dealer have in stock? Maybe one? Maybe a handful, if they have a lot of volume. Now count the number of F-250s on the lot. This goes for both new and used.

Roger M.

Adventurer
My 2013 regular cab, long bed, F-150 with the 5 litre V8 Coyote motor in it has the max'd out HDPP as well as the max'd out tow package. It also had to be a two wheel drive to max everything out. I can haul more in the box than most 3/4 tons on the road (with crew cab and short/mid box) can, well over 3000 pounds.
The 7 lug wheels are less a product specifically of the hub, and more a product of the much thicker axles that came with the HDPP, and the hub that has to be used on those thicker axles.

Pretty sure you couldn't get the max'd out payload package with any other motor than the 5 litre V8.

Apparently not available if looked for only on the Ford website, but easily found if you went to your local Ford dealer and asked for the F-150 "XL Work Truck", which was the above assemblage, with no carpets and AC as the only power luxury.

surfram

A Ford 250 or Ram 2500 will be infinitely more buildable than any IFS 150 or 1500. You are starting with a HD truck that can run 35s with no modifications. Your wallet is the only limiting factor on a straight axle 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The sticker price on my 2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman with 6.7 Cummins was just under 57K. The dealer took 10k+ off and over paid on my trade-in. The options were not perfect but it had the ones I needed and the dealer wanted to get a leftover 2018 off the lot. It has the factory gooseneck/5th wheel package, snow chief package, chrome appearance, popular equipment, spray-in bedliner, brake controller, uconnect 3 -park assist-rear camera, side steps, and power towing mirrors. It gets 10-12mpg towing a 34' RV and 20mpg+ unloaded on a long highway trip. 250/2500s have tremendous aftermarket support.

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
My 2013 regular cab, long bed, F-150 with the 5 litre V8 Coyote motor in it has the max'd out HDPP as well as the max'd out tow package. It also had to be a two wheel drive to max everything out. I can haul more in the box than most 3/4 tons on the road (with crew cab and short/mid box) can, well over 3000 pounds.
The 7 lug wheels are less a product specifically of the hub, and more a product of the much thicker axles that came with the HDPP, and the hub that has to be used on those thicker axles.

Pretty sure you couldn't get the max'd out payload package with any other motor than the 5 litre V8.

Apparently not available if looked for only on the Ford website, but easily found if you went to your local Ford dealer and asked for the F-150 "XL Work Truck", which was the above assemblage, with no carpets and AC as the only power luxury.

I'm assuming your truck is 2WD? I was under the impression that the max payload that Ford brags about is only on the 2WD work truck? Deal killer for most of us. I'm dealing with the same question. I'm leaning towards paying the small premium and getting a 3/4 or 1 ton short bed. My main problem is figuring out turning radius. I have a 2011 Silverado 3500hd work truck and the turning radius is the worst thing I've ever experienced. It is a long bed with a utility body. Almost undrivable in many urban scenarios.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm assuming your truck is 2WD? I was under the impression that the max payload that Ford brags about is only on the 2WD work truck? Deal killer for most of us. I'm dealing with the same question. I'm leaning towards paying the small premium and getting a 3/4 or 1 ton short bed. My main problem is figuring out turning radius. I have a 2011 Silverado 3500hd work truck and the turning radius is the worst thing I've ever experienced. It is a long bed with a utility body. Almost undrivable in many urban scenarios.

No. HDPP is available in 4WD and currently only in the Supercrew, 6.5’ bed configuration. I was not aware it was ever offered in a regular cab.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not in Canada.
Can build Reg cab Long box HDPP

No one cares about Canada.

:p

kidding. But it’s weird how the manuf configure the trucks different between the two countries. ie, Toyota makes the Tacoma in AC, manual, and TRD OR in Canada. US only comes in TRD Sport. Did market research indicate only Canadians would want a Tacoma AC in TRD OR but not Sport? And viceversa? Or they just messing with us.

No one cares about Canada.

:p

kidding. But it’s weird how the manuf configure the trucks different between the two countries. ie, Toyota makes the Tacoma in AC, manual, and TRD OR in Canada. US only comes in TRD Sport. Did market research indicate only Canadians would want a Tacoma AC in TRD OR but not Sport? And viceversa? Or they just messing with us.

But also how much of config. differences are due to different standards in the US vs Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

Sometimes it works out in our favour, sometimes it doesn't.
I'd say more often than not it doesn't work out as well for us in the vast wilds of Canuckistan

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
No. HDPP is available in 4WD and currently only in the Supercrew, 6.5’ bed configuration. I was not aware it was ever offered in a regular cab.

I know HDPP is available on 6.5 Supercrew but not with max payload, something closer to 2800lbs (which is still the best on a half ton). Also had a Ford dude say the 3k plus payloads are on only the reg cab work truck. Ford states: "*Max payload on F-150 XL Regular Cab, 8’ box, 5.0L V8 4x2, Heavy-Duty Payload Package".

I have read that HDPP is a unicorn and really hard to find. Might be easier to find a 3/4 ton with that capability and not that much bigger or more expensive truck. Also the main attraction for me to the F150 is the ecoboost 3.5 but they don't do that with the HDPP only the V8. We have rented a few in the transit and LOVE that engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles