F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So Today I Learned that 7 lug wheels were a thing. Seriously I never knew that. I always thought anything with more than 5 lugs always had an even number of lugs. I guess I'll have to be more observant.

WRT strange lug arrangements, a couple of years ago at an auto parts store I saw a Chevy truck (GMT-800 body, 1999 - 2007) that was badged as a "1500 HD" (i.e. a half ton truck) and it had 8 lug wheels. Struck me as odd but I didn't have the opportunity to ask the guy what a "1500 HD" was. Seemed like a 2500 (3/4 ton) to me.
1500 HD's from GM and Dodge were really 2500's. They were marketed as 1500's so GM and Dodge could say they had a half ton crew cab to compete against the supercrew.

bas157

I was looking for a Max tow HDPP towards the end of last year since they had really good deals going. Told the salesguy what I wanted. There were no 3.5 MT and HDPP anywhere in the country available. Can't get that combo on anything fancier than a XLT with 301 package. Guess they don't want people with fancier trucks that can actually haul a heavy payload. I spec'd out a gas F250 which wouldn't be much more than an F150 but the MPG would suck. My 6.0 Powerstroke F250 only gets ~14 and I really want my next truck to get more than that. Don't need that payload often but sometimes I do which is why I was looking for the HDPP. The 1/2-ton is also cheaper for the state's annual registration.

wanabxtrm

Observer
I was looking for a Max tow HDPP towards the end of last year since they had really good deals going. Told the salesguy what I wanted. There were no 3.5 MT and HDPP anywhere in the country available. Can't get that combo on anything fancier than a XLT with 301 package. Guess they don't want people with fancier trucks that can actually haul a heavy payload. I spec'd out a gas F250 which wouldn't be much more than an F150 but the MPG would suck. My 6.0 Powerstroke F250 only gets ~14 and I really want my next truck to get more than that. Don't need that payload often but sometimes I do which is why I was looking for the HDPP. The 1/2-ton is also cheaper for the state's annual registration.

I bought mine at the end of the MY and had the same experience I found 2 total in the country on lots and one was a dealer demo/owners car. They certainly don’t stock them imo because A-average consumer doesn’t understand realities of payload B-if they did they’d undercut F250 sales.

snowfiend

I have a 2013 F150 HDPP Lariat crew cab 4x4 with the 3.5L. Love everything about it except the gas milage ~13/16 with 285/75/17 Cooper AT3 XLT's. Bought it new and just passed 70k.

As someone mentioned, it's near impossible to find replacement 7 lug wheels. It's especially a problem in CA since they banned lead wheel weights and there isn't much clearance between the caliper and wheel for a big stack of tin weights.

Grassland

That fancy stuff adds weight and cuts into payload defeating the whole point of the HD payload package.

As well, I'm sure Ford looked over sales and other information and figures to decide there isn't enough market to build luxury HDPP MT trucks.

Same reason they build so few RCSB trucks. Not many people buying them.

Machinebuilder

As the owner of a 2011 extended cab 8'bed Heavy payload F150.

STAY AWAY, unless you have no plans to do lighter work with it.

7 lug wheels, look on EBAY see how many take offs there are, then search for 8 lug F250 wheels. I have seen a couple rusty steel wheels for about $150, few and far between.

Try to find aftermarket struts (without going to a custom built $$$$$)

When I bought it I had been casually looking for an 8' bed truck, I really don't want a crew cab with it. at the time it was a 2nd vehicle for me.

over the years I have camped many ways from tent camping to a trailer and now a FWC.

I never had any payload issues until I went to the FWC Gtranby and realized 2200lbs isn't very much, when you are loading for more than a couple days.
I did put airbags in, they help with the wallowing feel, I don't have to run very high pressure.

My big point is why bother with a red headed bastard when you can get a F250/350 for the same money, and not have to worry about a few extra pounds?

bas157

Machinebuilder, the current HDPP appears to use 6 lugs wheels. The ford website shows 6-lugs in the images and a 2018 was just sold in the vehicle section that has 6 lug wheels. I guess they may just have a higher payload rating of the wheels? As for struts, no clue on that.

snowfiend

As far as shocks & struts go I put Bilstein 6112's on the front and 5160's on the rear of mine, they are a great match for the HDPP. I have a 2017 lb payload with heated/cooled seats, sunroof and nav. Sure it cost a few pounds of payload but it's a great all around truck for our family.

D45

Explorer
I have a 2013 F150 HDPP Lariat crew cab 4x4 with the 3.5L. Love everything about it except the gas milage ~13/16 with 285/75/17 Cooper AT3 XLT's. Bought it new and just passed 70k.

Mine had garbage fuel mileage also

13.5 all winter long and 15.5 during the summer

Machinebuilder

As far as shocks & struts go I put Bilstein 6112's on the front and 5160's on the rear of mine, they are a great match for the HDPP. I have a 2017 lb payload with heated/cooled seats, sunroof and nav. Sure it cost a few pounds of payload but it's a great all around truck for our family.

I called Bilstien tech line and they would not recommend any of their products for my truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles