F150 vs Tundra....I’ll make a decision tomorrow

tacollie

Glamper
I read how these two fellows did their research, it really comes down to "who you gonna believe".
To each their own.

We've gotten away from the original topic,
The question is, should the op get a small truck or a full-size.
I believe the op is leaning toward the small truck for agility and is not planning on carrying a large payload.
Most posts here are suggesting the op should opt for the full size be it tundra or whatever.
Some have turned this "as usual" into a pissing match.

To the op, good luck in your search to find what fits your situation and lifestyle.
OP got a F150 months ago. Post 104. This thread is still going because the Ford guys like stirring the pot ?

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I've never said either.

I currently own a gasoline 4x4. I have no problem with running those, but I am realistic about their shortcomings especially when loaded with gear.

Have never owned a Ford; I acknowledge they make some decent vehicles. But I think it's fair to say as well, that Ford does not have the same focus on quality as some other brands. As per the NHTSA website, Ford F-150's do have more recalls and TSB's compared to the Tundra...doesn't mean the F-150 is a bad vehicle, because I'm sure on average they work just fine.
I wonder if Ford has ever had a frame recall.

phsycle

Adventurer
I wonder if they ever had Dana make their frames? At least Toyota made right by the people affected for the most part. Ford has issues that everyone knows about but will never get a recall. The ol 6.0 sure screwed a lot of people over.

Well, so did the old 3.0 (3VZE). 05-06 Taco rear ends. HG as well. But I don't think any of these issues were as prevalent as the frame rot. Toyota did what was best.....for them. Think of the oncoming lawsuits from trucks crumbling in half on the freeway. Repeat, they did it to protect themselves. They did not do it from the goodness of their hearts like some people think. They are not a charity.
I'm sure other companies would've done the same. But I do give credit when Toyota did offer 1.5x the KBB value. I think that was a bit generous, which is why they tapered that down later on. Ford and others may have offered 75% of value. But they would've also issued some sort of recall to save the company's image and more importantly, $$$.

Toyaddict

Well, so did the old 3.0 (3VZE). 05-06 Taco rear ends. HG as well. But I don't think any of these issues were as prevalent as the frame rot. Toyota did what was best.....for them. Think of the oncoming lawsuits from trucks crumbling in half on the freeway. Repeat, they did it to protect themselves. They did not do it from the goodness of their hearts like some people think. They are not a charity.
I'm sure other companies would've done the same. But I do give credit when Toyota did offer 1.5x the KBB value. I think that was a bit generous, which is why they tapered that down later on. Ford and others may have offered 75% of value. But they would've also issued some sort of recall to save the company's image and more importantly, $$$.

Point being no company has the high ground. Fanboys and haters on all sides are beyond annoying.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Most TSB's are not specific to a single vehicle...they generally call out trends that are common to many vehicles within a model/product line. The OEM makes a design misstep or runs into faulty components that yields an outcome that isn't necessarily recall-worthy...they note it in a TSB. Thought to be quite honest, Ford has a very long history of refusing to acknowledge many such issues with some of its past models. Bottom line: Ford has more recalls and more TSB's across its vehicle lineup than does Toyota.

So the argument that Ford sells more vehicles, thus more TSB's are warranted is a stupid one...many of these issues have nothing to do with statistical failure or fault rates in manufacturing. Rather they are related to poor design choices and negligence.
All of my Toyotas had faulty parts not covered by TSBs in fact Honda and Toyota not counting Mitsubishi have a pretty lousy record of admitting they have bad parts. Number of TSBs is not a indication of Quality it is however an indication that a company is willing to address faulty parts.

Honda and Toyota bank big on the perception that their um stuff don’t stink part of holding up that perception is not admitting they have bad parts.

Also sheer numbers the larger builders are more likely to see larger batches of faulty parts but they also carry purchase weight being a big buyer and can influence quality and consistency from sheer numbers. Vs a smaller maker has less pull with parts makers to correct quality issues.

Dalko43

Explorer

Yeah no kidding...Toyota is a publicly-held corporation and they tend to act in ways that best serve the interests of their shareholders...should that be a surprise to anyone?

Regardless of Toyota's motivations in addressing the frame rot, the fact is they mostly addressed it, whereas, as @Toyaddict points out, Ford has not addressed many long-standing and prevalent issues with some of their vehicles (the woes of the 6.0l and 6.4l powerstrokes and early 3.5l ecoboosts are just several examples of that).

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Also sheer numbers the larger builders are more likely to see larger batches of faulty parts but they also carry purchase weight being a big buyer and can influence quality and consistency from sheer numbers. Vs a smaller maker has less pull with parts makers to correct quality issues.

Well as I've already pointed out, a lot of these TSB's have nothing to do with statistical failure rates that tend yield larger absolute numbers as production grows...a lot of them are just indicative of bad designs or flaws that would have equally manifested themselves at 70k vehicles annually or at 570k vehicles annually.

But if you are so fixated on the production scale issue...go find a Toyota Camry or Rav4 on the NHTSA website and compare its TSB and recall #'s to a similarly-produced Ford sedan or crossover.

That might be hard to do an exact apples-to-apples comparison since Ford doesn't sell as many sedans as they used to...but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

NoDak

Don't forget the exhaust manifold issue on the 2UZ-FE in the 4th gen 4Runner. Toyota failed fixing mine the first time then refused to work on it anymore after my replacement set cracked again a year later. Took aftermarket parts, a speed shop and $6,000 to fix it right.

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't forget the exhaust manifold issue on the 2UZ-FE in the 4th gen 4Runner. Toyota failed fixing mine the first time then refused to work on it anymore after my replacement set cracked again a year later. Took aftermarket parts, a speed shop and $6,000 to fix it right.

It was an issue on my 100 as well. DT started making headers for the 4.7 mainly due to that reason. Zero response from Toyota.

Forgot about the planetary gear implosions in the A340 trannies and weak front diffs as well.

D

Deleted member 9101

What about the weak breaks on the 1st gen Tundras, flimsy rear suspension, and microscopicly thin paint.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Interesting, you either drink the Toyota Kool aid or you don't.
Same can be said for ALL makes and models.
Appears these types of threads turn into pissing matches.. what happened to civility?
Same can be said for another very hot thread on this site, one person will site an article based on an "opinion" and the believers will defend that position to the point of moderators telling grown ups to quit acting like playground bullies.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but, it appears to me that this world has turned into "my way or the hiway" , no more agree to disagree.
With todays information highway at our fingertips ( going out on a limb here) I have to think the interweb is 80% BS and opinion, should be viewed that way, but infact it appears to be the opposite.
Makes me think we are closer to AI controlling many of our thoughts and beliefs. I'm beginning to think , in the next couple of generations, I probably won't be around, AI will be controlling all thought process.
We're close now" my way or the hiway" mentality.
I would like to say have a wonderful Sunday ,but , I don't want to appear to tell people what to do.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've got no problem with people liking what they like.

It's when they scream and shout every time someone else posts factual bad experiences overlanding with those vehicles. Let ''so and so'' talk about how quickly a GM front end fails with a front autolocker. Fluid film needs to be mentioned in a Toyota thread, you don't need to freak out like we're spraying down your wife or something. Every failure should be discussed so that our brothers can make a smart decision.

Case in point: Watch the Ram guys have a coronary if you post this, actual failed xfer case from a friend of mine. $12-14,000 damage IIRC, not warranty. Most likely caused by a failed front drive shaft joint. Or mention Redline 5w30 in a Hemi thread, and watch the world burn.
zzz dodge hd ram xfer case.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles