F150 - Gas vs Diesel

So the 3.0L Powerstroke has been out for a few years now, what's the current conesus?

Looking to downsize from my 2019 F250 ( go figure, it doesn't fit on a lot of trails here in the southeast of the United States ).

Engine options are the diesel, the 5.0L v8 ( easy pick ) and then the 2.7L or the 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost.

Lets hear it out!

phsycle

Adventurer
So the 3.0L Powerstroke has been out for a few years now, what's the current conesus?

Looking to downsize from my 2019 F250 ( go figure, it doesn't fit on a lot of trails here in the southeast of the United States ).

Engine options are the diesel, the 5.0L v8 ( easy pick ) and then the 2.7L or the 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost.

Lets hear it out!

I’ll be the first to point out that the 250 is maybe a foot longer and a couple inches wider than the 150. I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re thinking you’ll fit easier.

You may be better looking at midsize.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Ford has walked away from a diesel for 1/2 trucks.
However, GMC continues to put diesel in the Silverado and Sierra.
Expedition Portal gave the truck very good review. 30mpg on highway excellent. It’s is what my 2.3 Saab averages.

As for the durability and longevity, well, it’s too young to say anything in that regard.

billiebob

Lets hear it out!
Not sure how much space you will save, width, length even height and weight are not a lot different F250'F150.
I doubt it will be a noticeable trail advantage.

If size is the issue, and payload not the issue, I'd look at the new Ranger..... OR an old Ranger... OR Maverick.
If diesel is a desirable thing, look at the Bison.

Last edited:
I have given the newer Rangers some considerable though - I just do enjoy the space of the F150/250 ( same cab ), esp since I have a 19mos old and rear facing car seat.

rruff

Explorer
Not sure how much space you will save, width, length even height and weight are not a lot different F250'F150.

The F250 is ~1,500 lb heavier, a few inches taller, the same width, and the turning radius is ~10% bigger.

The 2.7L gets impressive MPGs (~18.5 vs 16 for the 5.0L or 3.5L). If you lived in the mountain West I'd go for that one. There is a higher payload version as well. But the 5.0L might be more reliable... and can be had with the heavy duty payload package which has ~3,000 lb payload.

stevo_pct

Just another data point: I have a 2019 5.0L crew cab F150. I get 15-16 mpg around town, 20-21 mpg hwy. 3.73 rear gears. 18 or so mpg towing a teardrop.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I know it'll never happen, but I still have dreams of a high-payload Ranger. (Or any other midsize, for that matter.)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
F150 and super duty use the same cab now. It’s the same size truck except for height.

F150 and super duty use the same cab now. It’s the same size truck except for height.

and length - the turning radius is WORLDS different. Still, the Super Duty is surprisingly agile. Just has the turning radius of a school bus.

Surprisingly the Ford Ranger is almost the same width as well ( I'm guessing fenders ).

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
and length - the turning radius is WORLDS different. Still, the Super Duty is surprisingly agile. Just has the turning radius of a school bus.

Surprisingly the Ford Ranger is almost the same width as well ( I'm guessing fenders ).
You can get a super duty shorter in length than a f150 if you choose. But yes the default crew/short bed and is longer in a superduty.
Does the super duty still have a bigger turning radius when they have the same configuration, crew/6.5’ bed etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles