F150 Build Plan

Hello All,

I am New around here, but have already learned a ton from you guys. So thanks!

In the somewhat near future I am going to acquire a New F-150.
SuperCab
6.5' Bed
3.5L v6 ecoboost
3.55 gears

I wanted to make a post with my proposed build to see what you guys think and see if there is anything major that I am missing.
My plan for this vehicle is for it to be my "Adventure Mobile" which to me basically means Camping, Base camp for backpacking, Hunting etc.
I am based in New Mexico and most of my driving is here with excursions into Arizona, Colorado and Utah.
The truck will also be my daily driver.

Here is what I am planning so far:

2" level in the front with Fox 2.5" coilovers.
Matching Fox 2.5" shocks in the rear.
BDS tubular ball joint UCAs
Keep stock wheels but go with Falken WildPeak A/T3W tires 285/70/R17.

RCI Full Skid Plates Aluminium(gas tank skid plate also)
RCI Bed rack (still going back and forth between RTT and ground tent :unsure:)

I am also debating on how important it would be to have a different(steel) bumper or bull bar. Also whether or not I need heavier duty side runners.

I of course plan on having medical kit, tool kit and fire extinguisher in the Cab.
I am also planning on maxtrax and a hi-lift jack(to use as come-along) with recovery straps for self recovery.
Also a battery jump pack just in case.

Let me know what you guys think!
I appreciate any feedback and advice.

limited slip rear end, tow hooks, and tow package

The truck comes with an e-locker. Does a limited slip replace that? Is a Limited slip superior?
Definitely planning on having a trailer hitch installed(though I don't have any plans to tow anything)
If I am not mistaken it comes with tow hooks in the front.

Thanks!

cheepsk8

Observer
No. That depends on the current situation, and a lot of opinion. I personally don’t like to deal with selectable lockers.

cheepsk8

Observer
Even if you don’t currently plan on towing with it right now, I would still recommend the tow package. The hitch makes a really good recovery point. Also, you will be surprised at how many people will need to borrow your truck to haul/tow something.

That reminds me, get a bumper sticker that reads “ Yes, this is my truck. No, I won’t help you move!”

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The oem elocker is best, stick with that.

Add wheel grabbers and chain to the highlift. Forget the bumper, completely unneeded. If you're special ordering, I'd check any camper package and the hitch. What's the most gear for an f150?

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
We just got the 2018 XLT 4x4 FX4. Crew cab. 3.5L as well. Short box which is a foot shorter that your projected unit. heavy duty towing package, along with the 36 gallon fuel tank. E- locker rocks. Makes a big difference when off roading.
I would recommend getting the crew cab with a short box, should be overall same length, and the back have goooooops of room as compared to the super cab.
We cant wait to turn ours into an overlanding mobile.
20180727_081036.jpg

The oem elocker is best, stick with that.

Add wheel grabbers and chain to the highlift. Forget the bumper, completely unneeded. If you're special ordering, I'd check any camper package and the hitch. What's the most gear for an f150?
Even if you don’t currently plan on towing with it right now, I would still recommend the tow package. The hitch makes a really good recovery point. Also, you will be surprised at how many people will need to borrow your truck to haul/tow something.

That reminds me, get a bumper sticker that reads “ Yes, this is my truck. No, I won’t help you move!”

Buy wheel grabbers do you mean these guys? Amazon Link for Hi-lift Lift mate

I was planning on the class IV tow hitch from the factory.(Can use as recovery point)
The most gear is 3.55 at least that is the most I can find with the online build tool.

We just got the 2018 XLT 4x4 FX4. Crew cab. 3.5L as well. Short box which is a foot shorter that your projected unit. heavy duty towing package, along with the 36 gallon fuel tank. E- locker rocks. Makes a big difference when off roading.
I would recommend getting the crew cab with a short box, should be overall same length, and the back have goooooops of room as compared to the super cab.
We cant wait to turn ours into an overlanding mobile.

I just could never bring myself to go with a 5.5' bed the are sooo small!
I don't need much interior room since I rarely have more than one passenger(Usually my wife)
Nice truck, what size tires do you have on there?

VroomSIX

The factory e-locker is the best option for the type of use you are describing. The tow package is more than just a hitch, usually also adds a trans and/or oil coolers and extra fluid capacity. Sometimes even a slightly higher rear end ration (like 3.73 for example). It’s worth it even if you’ll never tow anything. It’s getting harder to find 1/2 tons with anything higher than a 3.73 ratio from the factory. These trucks make a lot more power than they used to and just don’t need the lower gears as much anymore.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd still go cc. A rack will hold kayaks over the roof anyways. Even with my 6.5 it's gate down for bikes.

The factory e-locker is the best option for the type of use you are describing. The tow package is more than just a hitch, usually also adds a trans and/or oil coolers and extra fluid capacity. Sometimes even a slightly higher rear end ration (like 3.73 for example). It’s worth it even if you’ll never tow anything. It’s getting harder to find 1/2 tons with anything higher than a 3.73 ratio from the factory. These trucks make a lot more power than they used to and just don’t need the lower gears as much anymore.

Looking at the tow package it is 3.55 gears, which I am planning on already, 36 gallon tank which I am planning on already. Is an oil cooler worth an extra 1k?

I'd still go cc. A rack will hold kayaks over the roof anyways. Even with my 6.5 it's gate down for bikes.

Plan was to go with a shorter rack and try to keep most thinks below cab height if possible.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Buy wheel grabbers do you mean these guys? Amazon Link for Hi-lift Lift mate

I was planning on the class IV tow hitch from the factory.(Can use as recovery point)
The most gear is 3.55 at least that is the most I can find with the online build tool.

I just could never bring myself to go with a 5.5' bed the are sooo small!
I don't need much interior room since I rarely have more than one passenger(Usually my wife)
Nice truck, what size tires do you have on there?

On the truck.....Good year wrangler as it came stock on 18 inch rims
Trailer ..... 33's.
Looking forward to follow your build.

snowfiend

Looking at the tow package it is 3.55 gears, which I am planning on already, 36 gallon tank which I am planning on already. Is an oil cooler worth an extra 1k?

Plan was to go with a shorter rack and try to keep most thinks below cab height if possible.
You can get 3.73 gears with the HD Payload package:

Includes:
• 3.73 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 9.75" Gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel Tank
• LT245/70R17E BSW all-terrain tires (A/T) (XL only)
• LT275/65R18C OWL all-terrain tires (A/T) (XLT and LARIAT)
• Upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• 17-inch Silver Steel Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels (XL)
• 18-inch Silver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels (XLT and LARIAT)

You can get 3.73 gears with the HD Payload package:

I read that somewhere but I couldn't see anywhere to add that package, maybe it is not available with my combination. Either way I think 3.55 gears will be just fine for my application.

At this point I think I am just deciding on aftermarket changes.
I think I am pretty locked in on the Fox coilovers and shocks.
Still debating on what size tires I want to go with and if UCAs are necessary or not.
After that I just need to figure out what I am going to do for a tent.
Most of my camping in the past has been backpacking so I tend to lean toward minimalist. All these luxuries of camping by the car are new to me haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles