F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

stevo_pct

I found a 2020 Super crew 4x4 with the 5.0L

Around 23,000 miles for 43k

Sport package, not FX4, with 3.73 and locking rear axle with Tow mirrors

That seems like a pretty good deal. I like my 5.0 and I get 20+ mpg highway pulling a teardrop trailer. Long term is 17mpg - that's mostly around town without the trailer.

ricoisme26

Swapped vehicles with my BIL this week for a few days, not excited to hand over the keys to his 22 F150 Tremor and take back my 05 pontiac vibe...

The tremor lives up to the hype, I've never driven a raptor but driving the tremor was how I imagine a raptor if only a little less floaty. You feel bumps in the road but they are not harsh and the ride feels planted. I am blown away by the latest ecoboost's power over my 2012 5.0, cannot comment on how more modern 5.0s would compare.

Whether my next truck will be a tremor or not has yet to be seen but I do believe I'll be going for some version of the 3.5 ecoboost

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I found a 2020 Super crew 4x4 with the 5.0L

Around 23,000 miles for 43k

Sport package, not FX4, with 3.73 and locking rear axle with Tow mirrors

I only recently picked up a 2018 Supercab version of that setup. Early days yet, but I'm very happy so far!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Honestly though, if I was going to take on the risk of a used Ecoboost, and I didnt know an exact maintenance history, I would pick the 2.7 all day long.

I'm curious, Is your fear not knowing the maint history regarding the risk of a used EB? Why would you pick with 2.7 over the 3.5?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
GM is now selling a 2.7L truck engine
Would be really interesting to compare it to the Ford 2.7.

skrypj

GM is now selling a 2.7L truck engine
Would be really interesting to compare it to the Ford 2.7.

They have had it since 2019, but they just updated it for 2022 to have 430 ft-lbs of torque. Thats more than my 2014 3.5 EB

What i have seen is that its not quite as efficient as the ford 2.7 but otherwise pretty close. Its peak torque was not as high but it makes it at 1500 rpm and holds it to 4000 rpm.

Its strongly rumored the 2023 Colorado/Canyon will get it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They have had it since 2019, but they just updated it for 2022 to have 430 ft-lbs of torque. Thats more than my 2014 3.5 EB

What i have seen is that its not quite as efficient as the ford 2.7 but otherwise pretty close. Its peak torque was not as high but it makes it at 1500 rpm and holds it to 4000 rpm.

Yeah 430 is no joke

NorthwestDriver

My 2.7 has been crap, lots of new broncos have been crap…

Article summarizing the issues with the 2.7L in the Bronco:

So far it’s been limited to a batch of engines built in the Lima plant for the Bronco, and not for F150. Failure has been a “dropped” valve, linked to poor metallurgy from a supplier. Apparently the valves are fatigue cracking, allowing the valve to “drop” into the cylinder bore. You can imagine how the rest plays out…

I’m thankful to have a 4.6L 3V in my F150, but if I were to buy something today I’d be considering the 2.7L EB as a better all-around engine or the 3.5L PB so I have backup power for the house.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

So far it’s been limited to a batch of engines built in the Lima plant for the Bronco, and not for F150. Failure has been a “dropped” valve, linked to poor metallurgy from a supplier. Apparently the valves are fatigue cracking, allowing the valve to “drop” into the cylinder bore. You can imagine how the rest plays out…

I’m thankful to have a 4.6L 3V in my F150, but if I were to buy something today I’d be considering the 2.7L EB as a better all-around engine or the 3.5L PB so I have backup power for the house.
The PB is pretty cool. If ford made a Expedition version they would sell a ton to the wild fire urban interface regions. I could ditch my portable generator and just plug the truck into the house instead of the generator?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

The Chevy 2.7 turbos averaged 22-23mpg in our crew cab 2wd silverados but they did have a few issues at low mileage. Company went back to the 5.3

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Ford isn’t saying poor metallurgy- they are saying poor design. They are pinning this on their own spec not the supplier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz