F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This is what is so wrong with car froums. There are thousands of mitigating circumstances that could cause a vehicle to fail in hundreds of ways.

This 'my truck was gargbage' with no background info skews perceptions and offers no real world useable info.

And when asked.....simple minded responses like 'motor blew up' is even worse.
How about well maintained- all service intervals kept, light duty service, etc.

Explorerinil

Observer
2.7 new heads, turbos, cats.
5 liter new motor
Well the 5.0 in my 2018 police responder f150 had cam fasers and cams replaced at 25k. This week I hit 34k, the engine started rattling and shaking and the check engine light came on. Truck went to the dealer and they called me today and said there are a “large quantity of metal shavings in the oil from an internal bearing failure” and they are replacing the engine. Oddly after 20 years as a police officer, and now manage the fleet as part of my supervisor duties I’ve only seen two engines fail to the point of replacement.

I am not impressed with the 5.0 at all.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Well the 5.0 in my 2018 police responder f150 had cam fasers and cams replaced at 25k. This week I hit 34k, the engine started rattling and shaking and the check engine light came on. Truck went to the dealer and they called me today and said there are a “large quantity of metal shavings in the oil from an internal bearing failure” and they are replacing the engine. Oddly after 20 years as a police officer, and now manage the fleet as part of my supervisor duties I’ve only seen two engines fail to the point of replacement.

I am not impressed with the 5.0 at all.
Was this all in a single truck? Maybe that engine had some problems....

ricoisme26

I see a handful of people with bad experiences voicing them, even if through multiple posts. I've seen more people post positives about their F150 than people post negatively. Even if they only posted once to say they love their truck. Every manufacturer has lemons/defects, its what the warranty programs are for. You see more people post the negatives when things have gone wrong than post positive when nothing goes wrong, not knocking anyone that posts these negatives, I'd be frustrated as well and would be more likely to voice concerns/gripes if in that situation. Just stating that what you read on forums doesn't align with the overall picture. If you are reading forums for info and don't already know to take what you read with a grain of salt then idk what to tell you

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve had issues with just about every make I’ve owned. Jeep, Ford, Honda, Toyota.
I have to understand that there will be issues with any complex mass produced product. But we are emotional beings being subject to the prisoner-of-the-moment situations. It does make it hard to go back to a manufacturer when major issues happen.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’ve had issues with just about every make I’ve owned. Jeep, Ford, Honda, Toyota.
Same.

On top of the vehicles you already mentioned, I'll add Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac, Mercury, GMC, Jaguar, Volkswagen and Nissan to the list of vehicles I've had issues with...

Explorerinil

Observer
I see a handful of people with bad experiences voicing them, even if through multiple posts. I've seen more people post positives about their F150 than people post negatively. Even if they only posted once to say they love their truck. Every manufacturer has lemons/defects, its what the warranty programs are for. You see more people post the negatives when things have gone wrong than post positive when nothing goes wrong, not knocking anyone that posts these negatives, I'd be frustrated as well and would be more likely to voice concerns/gripes if in that situation. Just stating that what you read on forums doesn't align with the overall picture. If you are reading forums for info and don't already know to take what you read with a grain of salt then idk what to tell you
My issue is not the f150 it’s the 5.0. I have friends with the 3.5 and 2.7 and have never had a problem. A friend of mine with the 5.0 had head, cam and cam fazers replaced under warranty.

skrypj

My issue is not the f150 it’s the 5.0. I have friends with the 3.5 and 2.7 and have never had a problem. A friend of mine with the 5.0 had head, cam and cam fazers replaced under warranty.

I didnt realize the 5.0 had phaser issues. The 2nd gen 3.5 Ecoboost did/does for sure but hadn't heard that on the 5.0.

It makes you wonder why Ford seems to have done such a great job with the 2.7 but can't get the 3.5 or 5.0 to be just as bulletproof.

skrypj

"Designed for use in the Super Duty F-250 and F-350 trucks and other applications, the 7.3-liter engine pounds the ground with over 400 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 to 5,500 rpm, with the 475 lb-ft peak. Horsepower tops out at 430 at 5,500 rpm. With the right mods its personality could get a lot more powerful." is from:

I absolutely believe that comment. My MIL has a class c motorhome with a 7.3L that probably weighs about 14000 lbs. I have an F150 Ecoboost and tow a 5500 lb travel trailer and am right around 13500 lbs total. Even at 6000-7000' of elevation, the 7.3 felt like it had a hair less low end torque than the Ecoboost.

skrypj

Meh. I'm highly skeptical of these stratospheric MPG claims, particularly for the 3.5. I drive like an old grandma and it's tough for me to break 16 MPG. Of course, most of my trips are short city trips but even on the highway, 18 is the best I see on a regular basis.

The only way I can figure people are getting 20+ MPG on a regular basis is that they have a long commute that features a lot of freeway time, is relatively flat and there is no wind. Any kind of stop-and-go, any kind of climbing, or any kind of wind will knock MPG down quickly, at least that's my experience.

I'm on a couple of FB groups and people on there are always bragging about 20+ MPG numbers. I can't help but wonder if most of them are running 2wd trucks on factory tires and driving 50+ miles of flat, windless freeway every day.

My 2014 steel body 3.5L that is 6200 lbs empty, has 3.73's, and 315/70R17's averages 16mpg in the winter and 17 in the summer. When I was still on 275/60R17 Duratracs I was doing 16.5 winter and 18 summer. It's highly variable depending on your driving conditions.

The 2.7L is in another league though. I have a 2018 XLT 4x4 crew cab as a rental for a week in Charolotte NC and that thing has zero issue getting into the mid-20's on the freeway. My whole trip, including city streets, it probably averaged 20-21 I think.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yes, it’s the one and only truck we have. I get what your saying and it makes total sense. The 5.0 has just left me with a bad experience, I’m sure the other 3 million that run fine offset it, but stil.
Feel the same way about the 4.6L I had in my old truck. It got replaced at like 45k from the original owner. I bought it at 95k (truck mileage, 55k engine). It had problems once it got over 150k. Left a bad taste in my mouth for the 4.6.

Explorerinil

Observer
Feel the same way about the 4.6L I had in my old truck. It got replaced at like 45k from the original owner. I bought it at 95k (truck mileage, 55k engine). It had problems once it got over 150k. Left a bad taste in my mouth for the 4.6.
Crown Vic’s all had the 4.6, I only saw one engine failure and that was a brand new 08 crown vic with around 500 miles on it. We used to leave those cars running almost 24/7 and ran them on wolfs head oil and maintenance was so so . They just lasted and I actually liked the 4.6 allot, other than it lacked power and sucked the fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier